Your viewing journal

Fractale ep 1 - Interesting world building, I'm curious to see how this continues. Although I'm certainly disappointed that we seem to have lost an interesting character only to have her replaced by what I assume is going to be a rather hyperactive character.

Yumekui Merry ep 2 - The interesting premise and the first ep left me wanting to watch at least a little more. But this ep felt like it was almost entirely set-up for stuff later, leaving me still on the fence about whether I want to watch the rest of this series as it airs.

Hourou Musuko ep 1 - The art style looks great, but the first ep wasn't overly impressive. Maybe I got a little hyped about a series that was clearly not going to be the norm. I'm certainly watching the rest of it, but at the moment that's entirely due to hype and the premise rather than what I got out of the ep.

Gosick ep. 1
This appears to have all the makings of a good-natured detective romp. I usually pick things that are a little more challenging or weirder, but it's Bones so it's easy on the eye... and I've never seen a mystery show in anime before. Let's not forget the ludicrous hair and pipe (I was expecting it to blow bubbles or something), the reminders that it's not all serious business.

I was thinking it seemed like a bit of a slow start to an anime, then I realised the last thing I watched was the first episode of Xam'd.

7/10 - good, solid start. Will continue it.

Fractale ep 1 - There are obvious influences from and homages to many classic anime (Nausicaa, Time Bokan, etc), but the thing that stands out most for me is the sense of adventure that the episode left me with. In some ways it reminded me of several Studio Ghibli movies, in some ways Fushigi no Umi no Nadia, and in some ways felt totally original. Maybe the best combination this season of a good individual episode 1 and also setting up the wider world of the show at the same time.

Kimi ni Todoke S2 ep 1 - So I guess that was pretty much what to expect for this show's return in terms of the slightly frustrating lack of communication between the two leads, but apart from that was very good indeed. I'd nearly forgotten how much I love the vocal performances in this show, especially Sawashiro Miyuki's Ayane, and the combination of Kurumi awesomeness, however brief or otherwise it might be, and the potential of a rival for Kazehaya (*badly* needed to get the story really moving) really lifted the episode.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica ep 2 - Pretty damn amazing, again. There is a serious sense of foreboding in the discussions relating to the mythos of the show, wishes being granted and all that. Combined with the visual approach, it gives the show one hell of an atmosphere. Really anxious to find out more about Homura though, she clearly holds most of the keys to the show's storyline.

Madoka 2
Faustian Pact?
Volunterily leaving a near utopia to go risk life and limb in a nightmare for a single wish does not sound like a fair deal.

Can already see some of Madoka's relationships being strained inadvertantly by her interest.
How can something that mostly looks so happy feel this dark.

Freezing ep. 1
Unlike Gosick, this show is very much serious business: gritty sci-fi vibes, a deadly alien foe, a military academy that reminds me of something out of Battle Royale. Then there are the tits and panty shots, mostly followed by watching young girls being injured in a fairly bloody manner. The ending kind of throws away what little credibility it had, going for the weedy guy falls into girl's breasts angle.

Observations:
The girls with bigger breasts are more important;
That Nova is giving me Rahxephon Dolem vibes;
Amazingly, the fighters are all schoolgirls. Who would've thought?

If you ever wished Ikki Tousen had more gore a la Elfen Lied and a sci-fi setting you will likely enjoy this.

5/10 - So-so. Can't see much point in continuing this myself.

I usually try and be a little objective, but, well... the score I gave it is maybe more balanced than that write-up suggests.

Episode 2 has aired so I could watch it and see if it gets better, but I doubt I'm part of its target demographic. Fractale is next, then finishing Paranoia Agent.

Gosick ep 2 - yup, Victorique's fake laugh is priceless. But I also liked the episode a lot more, in that it felt much more like a classic mystery series - although perhaps a little too classic. Still tempted to read the books instead.

Death Note eps 5-12 - Show has an amazing narrative drive, very hard to resist watching the next episode each time. Excellent plotting to bring L and Light together without waiting too long. Also love the shows sense of the absurd, with Ryuk's "withdrawal symptoms" and of course "I will pick up this potato chip... and mother****ing eat it" most dramatic post dinner snack ever. Also, Misa + Hirano Aya = sploodge.

Death Note eps 13-15 - Oh man, you know the show is well plotted when you can't quite work out exactly what's going to happen next, but when it does happen, it feels like that was absolutely the best way to move the story on. I honestly can't believe (and I'm going off vague recollections here, so maybe I'm wrong anyway) that people "abandoned" this show after Misa's introduction. Ignoring the hotness of her in dress up, she has provided a crazy unpredictable energy to the story. Kudos for the introduction of some more straight-up comedy relief as well as the more melodramatic whimsy, too. Also much love for Light-imouto and Kudou Haruka's fairly unique tone... shame she seems to have done basically nothing since.

Bit of a cliffhanger I'm having to leave it on, but more than just the next episode or two, I'm wondering how on Earth they manage to keep on opening it up for another 20+ episodes without repeating some "tricks" like new Shinigami/"Kira" pairings (which seems to be heavily suggested by Light's good-bye to Ryuk at the end of ep 15), or more detectives whose name Light has a hard time finding out.

Appleseed (1988 OVA)

A brilliant and highly enjoyable blast, it may look a bit dated now but Applesee is still a classic piece of 80's sci-fi anime.

Dragon Ball Z - 141-142

Got Dragon Box Z 4 a looooong while ago and I'm still not even half-way through, also, first appearance of Cell, voiced by Norio Wakamoto!

Fist of the North Star - 16-19

Got the first HnK box with DBoxZ 4, the picture on both sets are BRILLIANT, but this series just keeps taking weird turns.

Sniper rifles that fire knives?
Cannons that fire swordsmen?!
And I really laughed at "I can't move! Am I already dead?!" Kenshiro: "No."

Fang of the Sun Dougram - Episodes 30 - 32

Unfortunately not been able to watch this for a few weeks, but I was quickly reminded of just how good Dougram is.

Back