Your viewing journal

Aye, he's a bit of a penis.

I know this isn't a popular view (not that I care) but I maintain that Gun x Sword is a better vengeance + giant robots + sexy women + every conceivable genre mashup Goro Taniguchi show. It just is. Unfortunately it's not as shiny or teen-friendly. It's also not on Blu-ray, though I suspect it was animated in SD.

Mangaranga said:
I wouldn't be so worried if I were you, there's a few episodes soon where they try to peek in the girls bathroom and every teacher/girl tries to stop them. Turns into another Avatar fight thingy.
Well, okay. It's not just that, though. The comedy as a whole seems a lot less creative and imaginative, falling back on seen-it-all-before harem antics. I want comedy like Akihisa spending the best part of an episode with a table glued to his hand and nobody even acknowledging it, or the superb Eva parody. If it doesn't improve by the half way point, it's getting dropped like a live grenade.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I know this isn't a popular view (not that I care) but I maintain that Gun x Sword is a better vengeance + giant robots + sexy women + every conceivable genre mashup Goro Taniguchi show. It just is.
The times I've passed shelves full of Gun x Sword DVDs in CeX made me slightly wary of it, but I'll have to pick it up next time if it's cheap enough.

Watched Inferno Cop 7, having watched 1-6 last week.

Probably the hardest I've laughed at an anime comedy since Guilty Crown...I mean Daily Lives of High School Boys!

ayase said:
The times I've passed shelves full of Gun x Sword DVDs in CeX made me slightly wary of it, but I'll have to pick it up next time if it's cheap enough.
Anime-On-Line periodically have Gun X Sword as their deal of the week. It's worth a tenner of anyone's money.

Professor Irony said:
I have a lot of time for GunxSword, but I felt the mech action scenes let it down. Loved the geriatric power rangers though.
Really? I can't say I had any complaints with the mecha fights, though I'm not exactly the greatest mecha fan. I enjoy this and shows like Evangelion, RahXephon, and some Gundam stuff in spite of, rather than because of, the giant robots. But you'll get no disagreement from me about the old dudes.

ayase said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
I know this isn't a popular view (not that I care) but I maintain that Gun x Sword is a better vengeance + giant robots + sexy women + every conceivable genre mashup Goro Taniguchi show. It just is.

Don't be wary, its a good show and my local CEX has enough Burst Angel to literally burst. I can only assume they buy it off AoD when it's up for a tenner and sell it on at £20, shame they don't understand stock distribution, we don't have a single gun x sword on our shelves.

I think buying retail would be a rather odd move for another retailer, I imagine it's overstock from the likes of HMV or supermarkets (hence the massive quantities of one thing: stuff that sat on the shelves at a dozen branches of HMV and didn't sell all ending up in one CeX). As someone who's been involved in buying up overstock before few people believe how cheaply it can be bought for wholesale - I imagine you could divide that £10 a unit by at least 3. Other retailers just want shot of it in order to clear their shelves.

Will probably give it a go since it seems to be attracting a fair bit of praise around here.

Ian Wolf said:
Code Geass Ep. 6-9.
You're watching at about the same pace as me, any thoughts Ian?

AKB0048 Next Stage episodes 4-5.
Hayate The Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off You episode 12
Saki: Achiga-hen -Episode of Side A episodes 13-14
JoJo'S Bizzare Adventure episodes 11-12
Darker Than Black season 2 episodes 1-12(rewatch)
Darker Than Black Gaiden OVA episode 1.

ayase said:
Teo was right about no genre being left unturned, ep. 6 was pretty much straight-up high school comedy

You are just at the beginning, there are 50 episodes in total...

ayase said:
then this. I had an odd sense of deja vu...

You'll get other deja-vu's, and even other king's speeches that are more extreme than this one. There is one speech that is totally epic, I still laugh hard at the thought of it (great performance by the Japanese voice actor).

Every time you'll think "the writers can't be more shameless than what they did in episode X" you will be surprised in episode X+1, they'll go even more over the top. It's great fun if you watch this series with that kind of mindset.

C.C. rules.

Teo

fabricatedlunatic said:
I know this isn't a popular view (not that I care) but I maintain that Gun x Sword is a better vengeance + giant robots + sexy women + every conceivable genre mashup Goro Taniguchi show. It just is. Unfortunately it's not as shiny or teen-friendly. It's also not on Blu-ray, though I suspect it was animated in SD.

On first look I always dismissed this series, next time it will be deal of the week I'll snap order it. If it's just 20% of the fun I had with Code Geass then I'll be a happy man. Thanks!

Teo

teonzo said:
ridley said:
I've gotten many false starts on Gundam, but i'm going to start watching Gundam Zeta soon.
If you like tragedy then you'll love it!
I'm not of the opinion Zeta is anywhere near as dark (or even particularly affecting) as a lot of people seem to think it is. From what I'd heard beforehand I was expecting full-on Eva levels of harrowing, it never even came close. People die (which was always going to happen, it's a Tomino show) Kamille whinges, that's about as bad as it gets. Even the thing that everyone seems to cite as the biggest "tragedy" (Kamille's ultimate breakdown) left me pretty unfazed because I spent the entire series alternating between rooting for him and just hoping he'd be put out of his misery.

Not that I didn't like Zeta - I did, but it just went on for about fifteen episodes more than it needed to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back