Your viewing journal

The Gene of AI ep1: A more traditional sci-fi series examining what it means to be human in a world of artificial lifeforms and physical enhancements. The main things pulling this show down are the cheap animation and the designs which are so simple that they almost look CG - which could be an artistic choice, given the subject matter, but 'this would probably look better in book form' isn't the kind of vibe that I want to have when watching an animated show! Still, I appreciated the more thoughtful writing in a season full of so much laziness. Speaking of which...

Reign of the Seven Spellblades ep1: I thought this looked horrible from the screenshot on Crunchyroll and that it would be another of those dumb 'guy goes to magic school and gets slapped by the local redheaded tsundere before revealing that he's actually super-strong' shows, but somehow it ended up as a massive Harry Potter rip-off instead. And in a way that's neat, because people who grew up with and loved Harry Potter now have a way to watch its weird off-brand anime cousin safe in the knowledge that they're not giving a penny to someone whose views are abhorrent. Unfortunately I was never really into the series so I have to rely on there being more to continue with Reign of the Seven Spellblades, and the plot about a crazy magic samurai girl from Asia - sorry, Azia - blithely picking her way through lessons with Harry and his buddies felt a bit too much like OC-insert fanfic to capture my imagination. The incredibly lazy worldbuilding in having everyone point out where they are from on a map which is exactly like our real-world map with a few landmasses removed was particularly facepalm-worthy.

Most Heretical Last Boss Queen ep1: It's another villainess otome game parody written by someone who has evidently never picked up an otome game in their life. This one is particularly annoying as the art style and cheap-but-cheerful animation are quite good, and had the creator had enough imagination to write it as its own story instead of a parade of tropes and narration it might have been a decent watch as a straight fantasy in its own right. The heroine is reincarnated and of course doesn't even spend a single second mentioning her old life thereafter, because it's simply a plot device to explain why she knows the characters and their futures from the outset. In a world where people literally have precognition. It could have been replaced by the lead suddenly getting horrible visions of the future if she didn't change her ways and nothing meaningful would change other than the potential for the script to include some actual suspense. I don't really understand why the weird otome game she apparently played obsessively devoted so much of its time to scenes taking place before the main character was even introduced - because the lead is very specific in that she's seen the scenes before, rather than them being 'extra content' not shown in the original game. And I also don't understand why the staff have such contempt for their viewers that they feel they have to over explain every single thing rather than showing what's going on and letting the viewer figure it out. In the end it's another low-effort copy-paste villainess series. A shame; there were glimmers of potential.

Fate/Strange Fake: Whispers of Dawn ep0: Fate is one of those weird series where I realised at some point that I don't actually like it very much, but I check in now and then just to see if the latest spin-off is as good as Fate/Zero (to date the only Fate content which I actively enjoyed). Crunchyroll got me with a decent thumbnail of Gil so I gave this lengthy introduction episode a go and found it... not too bad. I have absolutely no idea what is going on and only a passing understanding of most of the characters' roles in the convoluted (to a casual Fate viewer) plot, but some of the characters are quite lively and I have high hopes for this particular author to capably juggle the broad cast, even if they're the usual grab bag of grumpy old wizard dudes and petite girls. The designs are weird as they're attractive yet kind of dead-eyed at times. I'll probably drop it if the most interesting characters (the two servants who clashed) bow out early but it might be worth watching at least a little more when it becomes available. Listening to Seki Tomokazu arrogantly gliding around is always my favourite part of this series.

R

Log Horizon S2
Episode 1
Bought this a good while ago from the MVM Blu-ray clearance sale. £1.99 each part.
Haven't watched S1 but I'll get the hang of it. Hopefully, Kanami will be in all the episodes.

The Greatest Demon Lord is reborn as a Typical Nobody
Episodes 1+2
Is it original? No.
Is it as good as Misfit/Demon Academy? No.
I'll still enjoy it.
Best girl Lady Olivia.images (1).jpeg

Hidamari Sketch: Sae & Hiro's Graduation Arc
What Hidamari Sketch does is very good but I find myself somewhat disappointed that this was more of the usual we'd expect from the series. It really doesn't feel like a finale. Still good fun though (especially if you want to remind yourself of when SHAFT wasn't a dying studio).

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. - Regards
This OVA presents a solid epilogue with much of the fun expected from the series. Also interesting is Keiichiro Saito being promoted to co-director. We'll be seeing him return to Madhouse later this year with much of the same team on Frieren: Beyond Journey's End.

Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes
Pretty funny coincidence is I only recently watched Tomohisa Taguchi's Akudama Drive before this. It does prove however that he's very competent at different genres when comparing the super exaggerated violence of Akudama Drive with the more grounded drama of Tunnel to Summer. An interesting plot with great lead characters and art direction. Only real issue is the ending however. Would've preferred that to play out somewhat differently. Other than that it's a pretty solid film.

We'll be seeing him return to Madhouse later this year with much of the same team on Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

Frieren definitely looks like it will be one to watch.

Reign of the Seven Spellblades ep1: I thought this looked horrible from the screenshot on Crunchyroll and that it would be another of those dumb 'guy goes to magic school and gets slapped by the local redheaded tsundere before revealing that he's actually super-strong' shows, but somehow it ended up as a massive Harry Potter rip-off instead.

Yup this is basically Harry Potter so I'm giving it a chance. I always wanted a Harry Potter with a darker tone, so when they said that 20% of all students go mad and don't make it through the school (which is definitely not Hogwarts) I was sad that it wasn't 80%!

I found it a little unrealistic that these 6 characters all became fast friends so quickly. The way the magical school stuff is handled in Ancient Magus Bride is way better and more grounded.

I finished Sakura Quest. This anime was OK but loses out to this studios other works like Shirobako. The concept was interesting but they seemed to go into a cycle of try stuff out, fail, repeat.

Bungou Stray Dogs 5th Season episode 52 Framework.

Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Wander the Dungeon episode 3 Strange material.

Undead Murder Farce episode 3 Head investigator.

Detective Conan episodes 234, 238-244, 246-247, 249-250, 253

Farming Life in Another World (English Dub) Episode 7

The Devil is a Part-Timer!! Season 2 Part 2 Episode 14

The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen: From Villainess to Savior Episode 3

Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season episode 27 Stay.

Rurouni Kenshin (2023) episode 3 Student.

Spy Classroom Season 2 episode 14 Surrounded.

The Devil is a Part Timer! Season 2 Part 2 episode 14 Thanks.

Detective Conan episodes 254, 258-259, 263, 266-270

Rurouni Kenshin ep 3 (dropped)
This is quite boring. Kenshin started the show already OP and in a really dull way, he whips out his sword and knocks everyone over in one strike and completely bloodlessly too because he's sworn off killing! So there's zero tension, even when it looks bad for other characters he suddenly appears. Already mentioned his dialogue is weird too, that it is!
Also apparently they've cut a load of the comedic aspect of the original too, so it comes off as really po-faced!

Reign of the Seven Spellblades ep 3
A new way of life.

Sugar Apple Fairy Tale s2 e3
Hitting the books.

Undead Murder Farce ep 3
Questionable behaviour.

Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Wander the Dungeon episode 3 Strange material.
By the way have you read the LN or manga this is based on? I wonder what people who haven't read the source material think Shirley is? Because the anime appears to be trying to give the impression of a doctor or medical worker of some kind. Whereas in the LN it is made blatantly clear what her actual job is, which is...
she runs a brothel and actually dresses like this in that condom scene.
Shirley.jpg

It's such a drastic change in character design that it mind as well not even be the same character.

 Thursday

Non-Anime

Secret Invasion - Episode 5

 Today

Amanchu! (Japanese)
- Episode 9 - 12 + OVA + Specials 1 - 7 (Complete)

This was a lovely little show, already a big fan of Iyashikei anime and this is up there with Aria, Flying Witch and Non Non Biyori for me.

I do hope AL can release S2 eventually but I will watch it on Crunchyroll for the time being.

Detective Conan episode 271-272, 274-275, Detective Conan Movie 06: The Phantom of Baker Street (Film), 277-280, 284-293, 301

Back