YouTube remove 30,000 Japanese media clips, includes anime

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Video-sharing website YouTube, fresh from its purchase by Google, has deleted 30,000 copyright infringing clips under pressure from The Japan Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers.

The deleted clips included a range of music video, movie and TV clips, a large number of which were almost certainly anime based.

<A href="http://www.animeuknews.net/report_news.php">News submitted</a> by Kupoartist.

This doesn't bother me, but I know a lot of friends that will be annoyed at this. Serves them right for watching anime in such crappy quality, I say! =P

Bound to happen. There will be other alternatives popping up though.

They still have a boatload of Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes up. ;)

Like fansubs, YouTube is a great tool for previewing the often expensive investments we make in anime. Although I understand their legal position, as is per usual the "suits" miss the point.

They should allow the upload of the first epsiode of a series. I could see the benefit in that but it's obvious why they don't want entire series going up on there.

A lot of us english anime fans can't get hold of them nor afford the dvds or though you can see were them coming from.

But 30,000 clips sound a big number but keep in mind youtube gets 100,000s of clips a day millons a week on average youtube can't screen them all so it's just a set back not a major blow.

Also youtbe ain't the only place to get hold of anime...if youtube gets rid of it they go to torrents and other youtube look a likes will pop up spread by word.

Also announced on the news probaly was'nt a smart move should someone not of heard of youtube they probaly would have done by now :roll:

X_nick_X said:
A lot of us english anime fans can't get hold of them nor afford the dvds or though you can see were them coming from.
Being unable to afford an entertainment product is not a particularly good excuse to steal it.

Gawyn said:
X_nick_X said:
Being unable to afford an entertainment product is not a particularly good excuse to steal it.

Agreed! But reading that made me laugh. I quite like the idea of justifying theft by saying "I knicked it cos I couldn't afford it"

Just had a peek to see if Black Lagoon was still there and it seems so. I quite like being able to get a taster of a series before commiting to buy. But I couldn't watch a whole series on Youtube or anything similar as it'd drive me nuts. I prefer TV's for watching TV.

Ok not the best words but look at it this way.

Ok lets put it this way if you don't give people what they want they find other means to get hold of it legit or not right or wrong it's the truth.

Since very few tv channels in the uk touch anime not everyone can import dvds so next route look it out.

So maybe if these big companies stop threatning youtube with law suits and actully looked at away they could turn profits they would'nt lose out.

It's still stealing, though.

But yeah, I'm fine with folk who watch anime as a free trial, -as long as they actually buy the dvds when they come out-. Buying merchandise also helps.. Its simple logic.. you give them monies, they make more anime. :b

"So maybe if these big companies stop threatning youtube with law suits and actully looked at away they could turn profits they would'nt lose out."

I would imagine they're probably doing both. o_O

There not doing both any anime shown in britan is done via 4kids people sub anime shows becuase there only shown in japan and people want to watch all this pirated anime is a potential market.

Maybe some people will continue to pirate anime but with a lot less viewers.

While unsurprising it does seem a little pointless and irritating as i use You tube (and a similar site dedicated to anime) as either for either taster episodes to get a feeling for the series, or as fillers (when amazon rental doesn't stock a DVD half way through a series). Occassionally for AMV's as well but not that often

The big deal with Youtube was how insanely popular it was with the japanese. There was massive uploading going on.

Also it is very important post-google that Youtube cleans up its act on piracy uploads. Youtube has avoided legal consequences because it doesn't piggy back its revenue on piracy.

Once Google puts inplace content-associated ads however ....

Wow...all but two of the vids in my favourites have disappeared.

So I've lost Pokemon intros, clips of Team Rocket's motto and a few music videos.

Oh well...at least the Hellogoodbye video and the Frosties ad survived. :?

Back