Bleach anime coming to UK TV?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In an <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/press/19/bleach-for-the-wii-and-ds-coming-to-the-uk">interesting press release</a> recently circulated by SEGA, it has been confirmed that they intend to release two Bleach video games in Europe - with both "Bleach: Shattered Blade" for the Nintendo Wii and "Bleach: The Blade of Fate" for the Nintebdo DS apparently set to hit shops "across Europe in early 2008".

No doubt, these games are only a part of an incoming wave of Bleach media controlled by VIZ Media Europe; of specific note to European anime fans should be that, according to this same press release, "the exciting TV series will soon launch" and is "scheduled to air across Europe later this year". We await further news.

I don't know how the American [adult swim] version airs, But what are the chances of this upcoming broadcast being cut down?

DaNiMe said:
Jayme said:
I don't know how the American [adult swim] version airs, But what are the chances of this upcoming broadcast being cut down?

I'm sure this depends on the television company.

And the time slot it gets aired in; many things would contribute to a edited down show.

I seriously doubt a major digital channel will take a chance on Bleach, it's to risqué for kids yet a little kiddy for adults. Only if Viz Media decide to offer it cheaply to MTV, Bravo or somewhere along that line as an incentive to take it.

J_C_X said:
I seriously doubt a major digital channel will take a chance on Bleach, it's to risqué for kids yet a little kiddy for adults. Only if Viz Media decide to offer it cheaply to MTV, Bravo or somewhere along that line as an incentive to take it.

It's rather annoying how different UK television is compared to US television. Not everyone has MTV and Bravo in the UK so Viz Europe would not get Bleach the profile it needs to help the industry in the UK (not sure how European TV works). It would be a shame for many people if it were on MTV or Bravo (I'm guessing they're not on Freeview either). Viz Europe have a much harder time marketing something like this for the UK, I wonder what they'll do. I think a slot on one of the 5 analogue channels' freeview channels (BBC3/4, ITV2/3/4 etc) would be a good idea because in all honesty (even though I like to be optimistic) I really can't see any anime TV series (movies are ok) on one of the 5 analogue channels unless it's on a cut down version on those kids shows in the morning >_>. That 30 minute slot on Bravo does sound interesting though, I await to hear what Bravo say if you do e-mail them J_C_X.

You think with the success of Spirited Away, Japanorama and Asian Invasion BBC would try it's hand at anime but it won't BBC is goverment funded and I doubt it would go out an buy an anime series,

Anime films without a doubt for some reason the UK market for anime films is far more feverent than the US market. Would a major US network air a Ghibli film like C4 or BBC? The answer is not a chance.

Ryo Chan said:
J_C_X said:
BBC is goverment funded and I doubt it would go out an buy an anime series,

that's the key point

remember there are members of the goverment who don't exactly look kindly at anime

The Government doesn't have day to day control over the BBC, so what they think of anime is irrelevant. The key issue is that the BBC doesn't have that much money compared to some other channels and is under severe pressure to justify the licensing fee by investing in British programming, rather than buying in foreign shows. Besides, Channel 4 is government owned too, although unlike the BBC it's not government funded and is run as a normal business.

The problem Bleach has, is the same one Inuyasha has. Namely, that its main audience doesn't really fit the Jetix/Cartoon Network demographic. What's more they don't fit the profile of the niche music channels that currently are the only other channels willing to air anime. Although, they are supposed to be more as yet unknown channels out there who have looked into airing anime, so perhaps one of them will pick it up. At least Viz appear to be taking the UK market seriously now, which means that they're probably pushing the show hard to anyone who will isten.

Noratav said:
Ryo Chan said:
J_C_X said:
BBC is goverment funded and I doubt it would go out an buy an anime series,

that's the key point

remember there are members of the goverment who don't exactly look kindly at anime

The Government doesn't have day to day control over the BBC, so what they think of anime is irrelevant. The key issue is that the BBC doesn't have that much money compared to some other channels and is under severe pressure to justify the licensing fee by investing in British programming, rather than buying in foreign shows. Besides, Channel 4 is government owned too, although unlike the BBC it's not government funded and is run as a normal business.

The problem Bleach has, is the same one Inuyasha has. Namely, that its main audience doesn't really fit the Jetix/Cartoon Network demographic. What's more they don't fit the profile of the niche music channels that currently are the only other channels willing to air anime. Although, they are supposed to be more as yet unknown channels out there who have looked into airing anime, so perhaps one of them will pick it up. At least Viz appear to be taking the UK market seriously now, which means that they're probably pushing the show hard to anyone who will isten.

The only place I could think for Bleach is T4 on terrestrial tv, as discussed no one will touch the anime series, the content is far to objective for kids TV and a little childish for more mature set up. However it is possible that the show could be offered as a package in order to make it more attractive, the only places I can think of is adult swim, MTV and T4.

McIcy said:
All I am currently thinking is bad dubbing
Even though a lot of the Bleach dub has better voice acting than in the Japanese, though not all of it's good, but none of it's bad, either.

Hey do what they did with one piece butcher it and stick it on jetix.

But i doubt that
it wouldnt go on early morning itv it's all about death they avoid death as much as possible,bbc3(but were talking midnight here) maybe an option not bbc1-2.
Adult swim i doubt bravo is an all man channel not enough killing.
Itv2-3 around 6-7 could be possible to though i heard they once aired ghost in the shell.
channel 4 i can't see some how.
Channel 5 seem viable

Thats what i think.

I was holding off on buying the wii until I heard that the Bleach Game was coming to the UK. Now that its due out here I will be buying the Wii.

As for the hopes of the series to appear here, I really hope that its soon & that the DVDs are released Uncut with the Japanese & English Dub.

The likely hood of Bleach being shown on a current UK channel like the BBC, ITV, C4 and 5ive is down to the fact that they are all PSB providers.

In some way all 4 companies must provide the basic inform, educate and entertain and if those channels can entertain they're viewers cheaply they'll do that. I don't see Bleach in any prime-time or even childrens slots for any of the channels either simply because of the nature of the show.

The BBC will very rarely show anything Foreign made unless its films, although with the lay out of BBC3 and 4 I don't know. ITV has shown anime in the past, they aired Card Captors (Card Captor Sakura) at 3:40 during CITV. The other ITV channels....no idea don't watch them :p

Bravo's Adult Swim is a bit crap when compared to the American one, as they have never showed anime and I think I read once that they didn't intend too, but don't hold me to that. 5ive isn't a viable option, they like to import the big name shows like CSI from America and Anime is still a very niche market, especially on TV.

Bleach is going to be a big show, it's bound to reach 200+ episodes before finishing just like Naruto did and thats now got a second series. Thats a big consideration for tv companies, I wouldn't want to take a gamble airing a show thats 200 episodes long and loose money from it.

In my mind the most viable options are Jetix/Rapture/Propeller and to an extent Cartoon Network, but now they've changed Toonami into "CN Too" who knows.

Back