UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

It's seems there's no CrunchUK announcements for November.

Hopefully they will be some decent stuff in December.
Muiti Language titles aside I hope My Dress Up Darling Limited Edition makes it here.

Muiti Language titles aside I hope My Dress Up Darling Limited Edition makes it here.
F5ATHxDXoAAe4uN

2022-03-30 (178).png

FYI: If you've pre-ordered the upcoming K-ON! Complete Collection, it's been cancelled by Crunchyroll, and they are no longer releasing this title in the UK. I got an email from Anime Limited cancelling my preorder with the kind of vague reason given below:

Crunchyroll has informed us this morning that due to unforeseen complications, they have made the decision that they will no longer be releasing this title in the UK, and have requested that any listings be removed and pre-orders cancelled, so as a result we will be unable to fulfil this order.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they may have planned the release and not realised the license had expired.

It's still up on Amazon unsurprisingly, though it will probably be removed in a few days once they get around to it, but it's already off of MVM's site as well.

Hopefully it's just a license expiring or something relatively straightforward, and it can eventually be license-rescued by someone else like MVM. TBH, I was surprised when they were going to rerelease it, as it's not one they have the license for in the US, and they never moved it over from Funimation to Crunchyroll, but it must have been popular enough for them to consider rereleasing it in a standard edition.

Off topic: @lilitu93 - Love your Raven of the Inner Palace fan art avatar, that is one of my most favorite anime series now. I had been using a Jusetsu/Shouxue avatar from the series for quite a long time on here as well, before I finally switched it out to the current Takina avatar from Lycoris Recoil.

raven400-jpg.26659
Thanks! I loved the anime too and have started reading the novels, though I’m a volume behind on the English translation. It’s actually art from the novel covers as I got it from here and cropped it:

The anime only covers the first two, so I’m looking forward to the third volume which I own, but it’s on my giant backlog of books at the moment. The adaptation was really faithful overall, but there are some more details in the novels, so I definitely recommend reading them as well.

FYI: If you've pre-ordered the upcoming K-ON! Complete Collection, it's been cancelled by Crunchyroll, and they are no longer releasing this title in the UK. I got an email from Anime Limited cancelling my preorder with the kind of vague reason given below:

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they may have planned the release and not realised the license had expired.

It's still up on Amazon unsurprisingly, though it will probably be removed in a few days once they get around to it, but it's already off of MVM's site as well.

Hopefully it's just a license expiring or something relatively straightforward, and it can eventually be license-rescued by someone else like MVM. TBH, I was surprised when they were going to rerelease it, as it's not one they have the license for in the US, and they never moved it over from Funimation to Crunchyroll, but it must have been popular enough for them to consider rereleasing it in a standard edition.

Whoever is running the UK Crunchyroll branch doesn't seem to be doing very well are they?

. Putting up Re:Zero Season 2 LE for pre-order when Crunchyroll US had no plans to bring that release over here.
. Planning to re-release K-on with the licence about to if not already expired.

Not looking good.

Anyways, as for the K-on licence, Hopefully it has expired so Anime Limited can pick it up & give it a Ultimate Edition.

K-On isn't available on streaming in my country so the UK Standard Edition Blu-ray was going to be the only (reasonably priced) way I could watch it. Very disappointing that Crunchyroll UK decided to cancel yet another release I was looking forward to.

Although, unlike the Re:Zero S2 situation, if the license has expired that would enable Anime Ltd to pick it up, so that's a silver lining. Discs would likely be the same and I don't really care whose logo is on the amaray.

it remains unclear why, the show is streaming on Funimation (not Crunchyroll) but isn't a US title as Sentai holds the rights (though, appears their release is not available atm).

Should be also noted, there are no releases that have a date further out than October 2nd, and while there are BBFC listings for various things (My Dress-up Darling, More Than A Married Couple, Beast Tamer, Overlord Season 4 and Konosuba: Legend of Crimson), its a little odd there's nothing stated for later than that now. Hopefully its just them being slow.

K-On isn't available on streaming in my country so the UK Standard Edition Blu-ray was going to be the only (reasonably priced) way I could watch it. Very disappointing that Crunchyroll UK decided to cancel yet another release I was looking forward to.

Although, unlike the Re:Zero S2 situation, if the license has expired that would enable Anime Ltd to pick it up, so that's a silver lining. Discs would likely be the same and I don't really care whose logo is on the amaray.
It’s disappointing to me as well as I tried to watch it before my Funimation subscription lapsed but didn’t manage to finish it, and of course it’s not on HiDive here (assuming it’s still up on the US versions as titles have been disappearing from there without warning). There are sellers on Amazon with some collectors editions left, but it’s kind of pricey, especially considering I heard the Funimation release wasn’t as good as the Sentai one.

My tip to ANN got published as a news article today, and in the reply to my email, Andrew said he’d try to find out why it’s been cancelled, so hopefully we’ll get some real news. And hopefully if the license expires, Anime Limited or MVM will get it. I only mentioned MVM in my post as they often get Sentai titles here and they recently license-rescued Flying Witch.

Doing good with the KyoAni titles this year here in the U.K. on blu ray, eh? So far, one cancelled and the other pulled from sale pending “art review”. At least they won’t have to recall it this time if it never makes it onto shelves!! Guess the discs are going back in the warehouse next to those Disappearance of Haruhi blu rays…

Crunchyroll UK trying not to be the worst UK distributor of Anime challenge: Impossible

Seriously WHO is running the UK branch? Some random Crunchyroll intern?

I think I remember someone in this forum saying that CR have now outsourced there uk PR team. So yeah probably was better as manga entertainment, at least I was able to get hold of an actual person there when I had a question, and they did research for my answer.

I've bought all the AL Gundam releases so far (apart from those import ones), but I guess that's come to an end - no way am I paying £80 for 25 episodes.

It’s disappointing to me as well as I tried to watch it before my Funimation subscription lapsed but didn’t manage to finish it, and of course it’s not on HiDive here (assuming it’s still up on the US versions as titles have been disappearing from there without warning). There are sellers on Amazon with some collectors editions left, but it’s kind of pricey, especially considering I heard the Funimation release wasn’t as good as the Sentai one.

My tip to ANN got published as a news article today, and in the reply to my email, Andrew said he’d try to find out why it’s been cancelled, so hopefully we’ll get some real news. And hopefully if the license expires, Anime Limited or MVM will get it. I only mentioned MVM in my post as they often get Sentai titles here and they recently license-rescued Flying Witch.

I believe TBS owns K-On

I think I remember someone in this forum saying that CR have now outsourced there uk PR team. So yeah probably was better as manga entertainment, at least I was able to get hold of an actual person there when I had a question, and they did research for my answer.
Yeah, when the merger went through Crunchyroll closed the Funimation UK office and hired a PR firm to handle publicising their cinema and home releases.

Back