Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

I would hardly call the font a problem, but I'll have a look at that episode 14 when I get home. I had a real interesting listen to the ANN podcast mentioned in another thread, where an insider shares how he works creating blu-rays. He talks about the limitations of subtitle timings at one point, and it's pretty strict. If you're not aware of that when you create subtitles, and the person authoring the disc doesn't do proper error checking, things can get crazy. Some players lock up or crash completely.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast ... -22/.76892

I think I recall that point in episode 14, though I think there may be a better example of poor subtitling in a later episode. Other than that one instance I can't say that I experienced anything that detracted from the show on Mangas disks aside from a couple of dodgy translations, and thoroughly enjoyed the series.

I checked the part 11 minutes into ep 14, and the subtitles goes by pretty fast. I'd rather the translation is somewhat simplified and left on screen for longer - not that I don't have time to read them, but it leaves more time to watch the actual video. This particular scene does not need the background talk translated, really. With english subtitles, oftentimes two short consecutive sentences flash by one after the other, when a much better approach would be to show both together for a longer period of time. The idea that a subtitle should only be seen as the character speaks doesn't take into account what matters - readability. A little off topic.

Attack on Titan: Part 1 - Blu-ray (both Standard & Collector's Edition)

MyReviewer JPT says:
Sound section (+ subtitles):
The sticking point as always with Manga authored discs comes down to the subtitles, as once again they are limited to only being able to show one caption on screen at a time. In Attack on Titan, with very little on screen text to translate, that only becomes an issue in the eyecatches (the bits at the halfway point of an episode where the jargon of the show is explained), and the subtitle translations flash by at that point far too quickly to read. There’s also a mistimed sub in episode 8, where one person’s dialogue subtitle flashes on screen while someone else is speaking. Other kinds of mistiming appear when characters have long speeches. They may say one line, and two lines of subtitle will flash up, they then speak two sentences, and one line will flash up.

There’s the odd typo, I noticed one incomprehensible subtitle in episode 11, but by far the most head scratching of aspects is the looseness of translation. This is a subtitle script that aims for a colloquial feel to the script, rather than remain close to the original Japanese. Even I, who've managed to pick up a few words, enough to be of no use whatsoever, notice when the subtitles bear no resemblance to the Japanese dialogue. For one thing, in the Japanese, the characters use each other’s names a lot more than is evident in the subtitle script. I would love to know if Manga used Funimation’s subtitles, created their own, or a mixture of the two. The subtitles not being locked on this release allowed me to watch a few scenes in English with subtitles. Most scenes had translated subtitles that differed from the dub, but then a scene would pop up with dubtitles, printing the dub script verbatim. Unsurprisingly, these were the scenes that had the loosest subtitle translation. Oh, and once again, the theme songs are only translated on the full subtitle track, not the signs only track.

Extras:
The Bonus DVD is available only in the Collector’s Edition. It isn’t with the standard DVD release, and neither is it with the standard Blu-ray. So only Blu-ray owning fans have the chance to watch these extra features, even if they are only on DVD. Here’s the kicker. In the US release, and the Australian release, these following extras are on the Blu-ray. Manga stripped them out for their Collector’s Edition when they re-authored the discs.

You get the textless credit sequences, and yes, because they are on the DVD, they have PAL speed-up to the music. You also get the US trailer.

Conclusion:
The biggest issue is Manga’s presentation of it. I’m going to withhold judgement on the subtitles and not throw my toys out of the pram, as I do not know at this point if they used Funimation’s subtitle script or commissioned their own. But I don’t appreciate those moments where I recognise that the subtitles are completely different from what is spoken by the characters. That throws me out of a show. But Manga dun goofed when it comes to the extra features. Stripping the HD extras off the perfectly good (and in Australia Region B) Blu-ray masters and sticking them on an SD DVD is bad enough, but restricting that DVD to the collector’s edition is unfair. We also miss out on the eye-catch gallery the US and AU releases had. In effect, our Collector’s Edition when it comes to on-disc extras is inferior to the US and Australian standard editions. We do get the artbox and the booklet though.

Here’s the kicker. There’s no Collector’s Edition of Part 2 of Attack on Titan in the UK, just the standard editions. There’s no mention of whether those standard editions will contain a third bonus DVD. We have no way at this time of knowing whether we’ll get to see episodes 14-25 of the Chibi Theatre, the Anime Expo featurette, the eyecatch gallery or the textless credits, although we probably will see the final two commentaries. Manga have confirmed that the second half of the booklet will be in the Blu-ray collection though.

If all you care about are the episodes, the main content, and are an English dub fan, then by all means buy the UK release of Attack on Titan. I’m not convinced by the subtitles we get, but that’s not a red flag issue for me. But the inveterate collector in me cannot in all conscience recommend this release when there is better available. If you care about extra features, and all the cool gubbins, then you will want it all in HD, just like the show. And for that, there is the Region A locked US release if you are capable, or the Region B Australian release, although unfortunately the gorgeous Limited Edition Australian Part 1 sold out months ago. Their regular edition is still better than this release though.
*I hope I didn't do anything wrong by quoting all of this.

Basically if you just want the episodes get the UK release, if you want the rest get the US release.

Thanks JPT (and NormanicGrav). Manga UK's strategy for this release has been terrible from day one.

JPT, do you have any references for those bad subtitles? I can check their equivalents on the US release if that would help.

R

It was kind of obvious that MangaUK's release would have been flawed; especially when the first image of the collectors edition packaging appeared and it had all of that '3-Disc Collectors Set' on the sleeve.

I mentioned it in an unboxing video as well; but the back cover has Part 1 info printed 'on the back of thebox sleeve' rather than a leaflet stuck onto the back (like FUNimation releases).

It's disappointing that MangaUK would put so much effort into bringing the release over and then being half-assed with it; I guess its because they knew it would sell well (being a popular series and all)

The 'collector's box' is more of a cheap slipcase than what I would call a box, the kind of thing that Media Blasters used to bundle their cheap rereleases in almost a decade ago. I'm more offended by the gross blue banner on the top than the silly outdated copy on the back, but both suck :(

Collectors want something nice for their shelves, not a crummy cardboard advertisement for Manga UK. I don't know why it's so hard for them to understand when the US has long been demonstrating how this is done.

R

NormanicGrav said:
Attack on Titan: Part 1 - Blu-ray (both Standard & Collector's Edition)

MyReviewer JPT says:
Sound section (+ subtitles):
The sticking point as always with Manga authored discs comes down to the subtitles, as once again they are limited to only being able to show one caption on screen at a time. In Attack on Titan, with very little on screen text to translate, that only becomes an issue in the eyecatches (the bits at the halfway point of an episode where the jargon of the show is explained), and the subtitle translations flash by at that point far too quickly to read. There’s also a mistimed sub in episode 8, where one person’s dialogue subtitle flashes on screen while someone else is speaking. Other kinds of mistiming appear when characters have long speeches. They may say one line, and two lines of subtitle will flash up, they then speak two sentences, and one line will flash up.

There’s the odd typo, I noticed one incomprehensible subtitle in episode 11, but by far the most head scratching of aspects is the looseness of translation. This is a subtitle script that aims for a colloquial feel to the script, rather than remain close to the original Japanese. Even I, who've managed to pick up a few words, enough to be of no use whatsoever, notice when the subtitles bear no resemblance to the Japanese dialogue. For one thing, in the Japanese, the characters use each other’s names a lot more than is evident in the subtitle script. I would love to know if Manga used Funimation’s subtitles, created their own, or a mixture of the two. The subtitles not being locked on this release allowed me to watch a few scenes in English with subtitles. Most scenes had translated subtitles that differed from the dub, but then a scene would pop up with dubtitles, printing the dub script verbatim. Unsurprisingly, these were the scenes that had the loosest subtitle translation. Oh, and once again, the theme songs are only translated on the full subtitle track, not the signs only track.

Extras:
The Bonus DVD is available only in the Collector’s Edition. It isn’t with the standard DVD release, and neither is it with the standard Blu-ray. So only Blu-ray owning fans have the chance to watch these extra features, even if they are only on DVD. Here’s the kicker. In the US release, and the Australian release, these following extras are on the Blu-ray. Manga stripped them out for their Collector’s Edition when they re-authored the discs.

You get the textless credit sequences, and yes, because they are on the DVD, they have PAL speed-up to the music. You also get the US trailer.

Conclusion:
The biggest issue is Manga’s presentation of it. I’m going to withhold judgement on the subtitles and not throw my toys out of the pram, as I do not know at this point if they used Funimation’s subtitle script or commissioned their own. But I don’t appreciate those moments where I recognise that the subtitles are completely different from what is spoken by the characters. That throws me out of a show. But Manga dun goofed when it comes to the extra features. Stripping the HD extras off the perfectly good (and in Australia Region B) Blu-ray masters and sticking them on an SD DVD is bad enough, but restricting that DVD to the collector’s edition is unfair. We also miss out on the eye-catch gallery the US and AU releases had. In effect, our Collector’s Edition when it comes to on-disc extras is inferior to the US and Australian standard editions. We do get the artbox and the booklet though.

Here’s the kicker. There’s no Collector’s Edition of Part 2 of Attack on Titan in the UK, just the standard editions. There’s no mention of whether those standard editions will contain a third bonus DVD. We have no way at this time of knowing whether we’ll get to see episodes 14-25 of the Chibi Theatre, the Anime Expo featurette, the eyecatch gallery or the textless credits, although we probably will see the final two commentaries. Manga have confirmed that the second half of the booklet will be in the Blu-ray collection though.

If all you care about are the episodes, the main content, and are an English dub fan, then by all means buy the UK release of Attack on Titan. I’m not convinced by the subtitles we get, but that’s not a red flag issue for me. But the inveterate collector in me cannot in all conscience recommend this release when there is better available. If you care about extra features, and all the cool gubbins, then you will want it all in HD, just like the show. And for that, there is the Region A locked US release if you are capable, or the Region B Australian release, although unfortunately the gorgeous Limited Edition Australian Part 1 sold out months ago. Their regular edition is still better than this release though.
*I hope I didn't do anything wrong by quoting all of this.

Basically if you just want the episodes get the UK release, if you want the rest get the US release.

can someone get an answer off manga on the 3rd bonus disc (episodes 14-25 of the Chibi Theatre, the Anime Expo featurette, the eyecatch gallery or the textless credits etc) when you have andrew coming here and telling us about his release in as much detail as possible, even unconfirmed stuff manga really has no excuse for their complete failure in communication. Pathetic.

Rui said:
Thanks JPT (and NormanicGrav). Manga UK's strategy for this release has been terrible from day one.

JPT, do you have any references for those bad subtitles? I can check their equivalents on the US release if that would help.

R

When it happens too often, you wind up not noting timecodes as it would be too much effort.

There's one point in episode 12
where Eren-Titan isn't following the plan, and Mikasa tries to talk some sense into him. In the Japanese, it sounds like she says something like, "It's Mikasa, your family", but the subtitles say "Snap out of it"

Just Passing Through said:
where Eren-Titan isn't following the plan, and Mikasa tries to talk some sense into him. In the Japanese, it sounds like she says something like, "It's Mikasa, your family", but the subtitles say "Snap out of it"

Near the beginning of the episode where Mikasa is on his nose? If so on the Australian release the subs between her getting on his nose and the person who fires the flare are as follows.

Eren! Don't you recognize me?!
I'm Mikasa!
Part of your family!
You have to seal the hole with that rock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Emulsion said:
Just Passing Through said:

Near the beginning of the episode where Mikasa is on his nose? If so on the Australian release the subs between her getting on his nose and the person who fires the flare are as follows.

Eren! Don't you recognize me?!
I'm Mikasa!
Part of your family!
You have to seal the hole with that rock!

Oh FFS!

Last edited by a moderator:
From the New World: Part 2 - DVD (Blu-ray is unknown)
Video:
I had a problem with disc 1 freezing and skipping at 2.11:58, some 5 minutes from the end of episode 19, which occurred on my Sony DVP-NS705 DVD player. The issue didn’t repeat on either my Panasonic DVD player, or my Panasonic Blu-ray. Also, on Disc 2, some 47:02 minutes in, there’s a visual glitch, five consecutive frames of pixellation.

Toradora!: Complete Series - DVD (Blu-ray is unknown)
Audio/Subtitles:
While I may have some doubts with the way the series is presented, such as it’s round-a-bout way of getting to the point or not fully concluding a previous plotline, there are some issues to be had with this DVD release by MVM Entertainment, which I presume is using discs authored by Hanabee. Majority of this release is perfectly fine, such as adequate picture quality, variety of content, and it’s high-quality produced English dub, but the problem is with the subtitles during the English dub track.

For starters during episode 17 (at the 10 minute 32 second mark) subtitles for spoken english dialogue suddenly appear on screen and it stays on the screen for several seconds despite an english voice being clearly present in the background, however during episode 19 (at the 7 minute 40 second) subtitles that should appear do not. In this second example Tiga and Ami start signing a Christmas song in Japanese but no translated text for the song appears, so in order to understand what they are singing you have to change to the ‘full’ English subtitle track. Amusingly this same song is repeated at the end of the episodes but this time the subtitles for the song appear. Another ‘subtitle’ issue is found on the Ami’s impressions bonus feature, whereby the subtitles are timed way-off to the spoken dialogue, thus making it confusing to watch.

Looks like Manga UK's second big release is another disaster - Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray).

Someone posted on Facebook and mentioned a few bits of info about the release he checked with his set (note folks who ordered on Zavvi got it a week early):
Hi Manga UK,
A few questions for you, if I may:
1) Why does the new GHOST IN THE SHELL Blu-Ray Steelbook not come with any extras whatsoever? Not even the original GHOST IN THE SHELL: PRODUCTION REPORT! I appreciate there's the booklet included, which is good, but I still would have liked to have seen some effort made with the extras. So what happened?
2) Why does it only come with a paltry Japanese 2.0 Stereo Soundtrack, and not the lovely, DTS5.1, 6.1 and/or 7.1 Japanese tracks that have been released on other countries copies of the film, e.g. in the USA, and Japan?
3) Who did the grammar and spell-check on the English Subtitles, because they are riddled with errors?!
The UK Steelbook is really expensive, at over £20, and for that, we get a film that's been lovingly remastered, but then treated like dirt, with a Stereo soundtrack, no extras, and rubbish subtitles littered with errors! This is NOT a good way to get fans of this seminal film to part with their hard-earned money!
I eagerly await your response on these issues please, as I'm so mad at having spent over £20 on this release, only to find it's a bare-bones title,and not even a particularly well made release at that, due to the three issues I've just mentioned!

To summarise - Barebones, Stereo audio & numerous subtitle errors.

In comparison, the US release contains DTS HD MA 5.1 English and LPCM 2.0 Japanese.

Someone remind me what the Japanese release was like?

NormanicGrav said:
Looks like Manga UK's second big release is another disaster - Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray).

Someone posted on Facebook and mentioned a few bits of info about the release he checked with his set (note folks who ordered on Zavvi got it a week early):
Hi Manga UK,
A few questions for you, if I may:
1) Why does the new GHOST IN THE SHELL Blu-Ray Steelbook not come with any extras whatsoever? Not even the original GHOST IN THE SHELL: PRODUCTION REPORT! I appreciate there's the booklet included, which is good, but I still would have liked to have seen some effort made with the extras. So what happened?
2) Why does it only come with a paltry Japanese 2.0 Stereo Soundtrack, and not the lovely, DTS5.1, 6.1 and/or 7.1 Japanese tracks that have been released on other countries copies of the film, e.g. in the USA, and Japan?
3) Who did the grammar and spell-check on the English Subtitles, because they are riddled with errors?!
The UK Steelbook is really expensive, at over £20, and for that, we get a film that's been lovingly remastered, but then treated like dirt, with a Stereo soundtrack, no extras, and rubbish subtitles littered with errors! This is NOT a good way to get fans of this seminal film to part with their hard-earned money!
I eagerly await your response on these issues please, as I'm so mad at having spent over £20 on this release, only to find it's a bare-bones title,and not even a particularly well made release at that, due to the three issues I've just mentioned!

To summarise - Barebones, Stereo audio & numerous subtitle errors.

In comparison, the US release contains DTS HD MA 5.1 English and LPCM 2.0 Japanese.

The original GITS movie was only ever 2-channel stereo.

I get the feeling minimal/no extras must be a policy or something at Manga now - largely linked to the price it must cost to get extras through the BBCF (as it's done on a per minute fee, or something?)

NormanicGrav said:
The Japanese release has LPCM 2.0 Audio for the Japanese track and DD 5.1 for English if I remember correctly. The only extras it has are Japanese and English commercials for the movie.
Subtitles could be sourced from the Japanese BD too I suppose, but I never watched my copy subbed so I don't know. If anyone can give some examples of timestamps with poor subs I can check.

NormanicGrav said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't defend Manga at all nowadays but this release is far from a disaster compared to Attack on Titan for example.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
The Japanese release has LPCM 2.0 Audio for the Japanese track and DD 5.1 for English if I remember correctly. The only extras it has are Japanese and English commercials for the movie.
Subtitles could be sourced from the Japanese BD too I suppose, but I never watched my copy subbed so I don't know. If anyone can give some examples of timestamps with poor subs I can check.

NormanicGrav said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't defend Manga at all nowadays but this release is far from a disaster compared to Attack on Titan for example.

They're never going to redo the subtitles when they have the original subtitles at hand. They'll just keep reusing them ad infinitum.

They even reused them for GITS 2.0 even though the Puppet Master had a voice gender change for the new version, and the old subtitles never reflected that.

Back