Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

No-one has mentioned it so I think I will (as seen on AnimeBlurayUK)

MangaUK's Blu-ray release of Gargantia on the Verdous Planet contains no bonus materials what-so-ever; it's just the 13 episodes + 2 bonus OVA episodes in English and Japanese on 2 Blu-ray Discs. The subtitles are the same 'grey-ish' style as seen in Psycho-Pass as well (i.e. they are not white like FUNimations or Yellow like Sentai/Hanabees)

I'm actually surprised that this release is bare as according to Rightstuf the US release is jam-packed full of bonus content and is even a combo pack (both DVD and Blu-ray).

Emo185 said:
MangaUK's Blu-ray release of Gargantia on the Verdous Planet contains no bonus materials what-so-ever
Seems odd that this always seems to apply to Viz stuff. I wonder if VIZ has exclusive rights to some of the extras - or at least timed exclusivity. It's either that or local companies cheaping out so they don't have to do 2xBD50s. Accel World's AU/UK release only has the NCOP/EDs. K, Berserk and Tiger & Bunny had no extras whatsoever, but that's probably more down to Kaze being ****. Wasn't Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning also delayed for ages because Andrew wanted to get access to the same extras?

Mangaranga said:
Emo185 said:
MangaUK's Blu-ray release of Gargantia on the Verdous Planet contains no bonus materials what-so-ever
Seems odd that this always seems to apply to Viz stuff. I wonder if VIZ has exclusive rights to some of the extras - or at least timed exclusivity. Accel World's AU/UK release only has the NCOP/EDs. Berserk and Tiger & Bunny had no extras whatsoever, but that's probably more down to Kaze being ****. Wasn't Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning also delayed for ages because Andrew wanted to get access to the same extras?

All of the Berserk extras missing in KAZE's release of Egg of the King and Battle of Doldrey are included in The Advent.

This talk about grey-ish subtitles... the Psycho-Pass ones were not grey, they were white. I'd like to know what blu-ray players are used to get this effect. My Samsung BD-E5500 plays them just fine.

Cactus said:
This talk about grey-ish subtitles... the Psycho-Pass ones were not grey, they were white. I'd like to know what blu-ray players are used to get this effect. My Samsung BD-E5500 plays them just fine.

They are grey when compared to the FUNimation release ;) (remember the picture(s) I tweeted a few pages back).

Like I said before it's not down to the Blu-ray player, it's down to the company and what disc materials they are using.

Mangaranga said:
It's either that or local companies cheaping out so they don't have to do 2xBD50s.
I would hope the latter isn't the case for Manga's release of Gargantia seeing as the episode split is 8/7.

On the subject of Gargantia, the subtitles are what I would describe as an off/dirty-white colour. They're certainly not as bright as Funi/NISA/CR white subtitles, and that combined with the thin borders can make them a little more difficult to read.

Emo185 said:
In regards to Gargantia both the Blu-ray Discs are both BD50 (50GB Discs)
Oh right, didn't realize it was 15 episodes. That makes sense considering Manga are using Viz's masters. Outside of Berkserk, Viz generally seem to encode at higher bitrates than everyone else (high 20s/low 30s compared to around/sub 20mbps)

Maybe Viz does have some sort of exclusivity on their extras as I don't see why they were not included otherwise. Either that, or maybe that was the price Manga had to pay to get it out ASAP.
Saying that, they have been absolutely terrible when it comes to extras recently though. It's almost like they've taken on a Kaze model and don't give a damn about including extras for self authored titles.
For £10 extra the US edition has the on disc extras, an artbox and a quality 80 page art booklet. What happened to Jerome looking into chipboard artboxes and things like that? Even their biggest release of the year was an utter disgrace.

NormanicGrav said:
To summarise - Barebones, Stereo audio & numerous subtitle errors.

In comparison, the US release contains DTS HD MA 5.1 English and LPCM 2.0 Japanese.

I believe they are the same disc. Checked the UK release and the audio is the same as the US.

Was a little surprised though, Manga actual included a second subtitle track to go with the English audio. Not sure how much there is to translate in the film, signs/text wise, but the Japanese text at the beginning got translated when the English audio was playing.

Emo185 said:
Cactus said:

They are grey when compared to the FUNimation release ;) (remember the picture(s) I tweeted a few pages back).

Like I said before it's not down to the Blu-ray player, it's down to the company and what disc materials they are using.

Umm, yeah. If you read this post earlier and you're sure it said something else, you're mistaken. I have not at all edited it to remove any completely mistaken statements I might have made. Not at all.

I managed to grab a screenshot with subtitles in it, and they are in fact an RGB 205,205,205. Or about a 80% grey if you wish. So excuse me while I pull my foot out of my mouth, I'll be back in a minute.

:oops:

Just another note on Ghost in the Shell since the disc content is pretty much the same. A lot of fans over in the states are complaining about the release treatment.

Blu-ray.com stated about missing SFX in the English dub. Fandom Post hasn't said much yet.

Cactus said:
Emo185 said:
Cactus said:

Umm, yeah. If you read this post earlier and you're sure it said something else, you're mistaken. I have not at all edited it to remove any completely mistaken statements I might have made. Not at all.

I managed to grab a screenshot with subtitles in it, and they are in fact an RGB 205,205,205. Or about a 80% grey if you wish. So excuse me while I pull my foot out of my mouth, I'll be back in a minute.

:oops:

Quick question, what did you use to take a screenshot of the Blu-ray

Shiroi Hane said:
Personally, with AnyDVD HD installed I just take a screenshot of PowerDVD, which Picasa then saves automatically.

Will that include the subtitles on the screen? Because that's what was giving me trouble.

Gargantia of the Verdurous Planet

As previously mentioned, all of the additional extra content from the Blu-ray version of Viz Media's release is not included in this release.

There are also other things:
- No Song/Signs Track (which Viz's release has but there's no translation needed in the show except for the lyrics)
- Random Chapter Marking

JPT MyReviewer said:
These discs have been authored locally by Manga Entertainment, hence the two dual layer discs, the unlocked subtitles, the random chapter marking, and the absence of extras. The discs present their content with animated menus. There are no extras on this UK release at all; there aren’t even any next episode previews at the end of each episode.

You’ll have to get the US Region A locked release for the Petite Gargantia Mini-Episodes 1-13 & Petite Gargantia Special, the Clean Openings & Ending, Textless Episode Scenes, Original Japanese Commercials, and Original Japanese Promotional Videos.

Cactus said:
Shiroi Hane said:
Personally, with AnyDVD HD installed I just take a screenshot of PowerDVD, which Picasa then saves automatically.
Will that include the subtitles on the screen? Because that's what was giving me trouble.
If you're taking a screenshot of the window (alt+prtscn) rather than trying to use the built-in capture function, yes (IIRC PowerDVD's capture function only works if you play the m2ts file directly rather than playing it as a disc). Picasa saves screenshots in BMP format so there should be no loss of quality.

Cactus said:
Shiroi Hane said:

I use AnyDVD HD and MPC-HC w/KCP for playback. No Bluray Menu's, but you can change audio/subs at will. Pressing Alt + I takes a snap of whatever is onscreen.
If you want an image with subs then have subtitles on. If you want one without you just turn them off.

Shiroi Hane said:
Cactus said:
Shiroi Hane said:
If you're taking a screenshot of the window (alt+prtscn) rather than trying to use the built-in capture function, yes (IIRC PowerDVD's capture function only works if you play the m2ts file directly rather than playing it as a disc). Picasa saves screenshots in BMP format so there should be no loss of quality.

Quality wasn't the issue, but rather if the subtitles were included in the screengrab or not.

Back