Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Mangaranga said:
Cactus said:
Shiroi Hane said:
Personally, with AnyDVD HD installed I just take a screenshot of PowerDVD, which Picasa then saves automatically.

Will that include the subtitles on the screen? Because that's what was giving me trouble.
I use AnyDVD HD and MPC-HC w/KCP for playback. No Bluray Menu's, but you can change audio/subs at will. Pressing Alt + I takes a snap of whatever is onscreen.
If you want an image with subs then have subtitles on. If you want one without you just turn them off.

Saving a screengrab in MPC-HD didn't include the subtitles for me. I'm sure there's a setting somewhere though.

Mangaranga said:
Cactus said:
Saving a screengrab in MPC-HD didn't include the subtitles for me. I'm sure there's a setting somewhere though.
Are you using Vanilla MPC? This is what I'm using.

No, I'm using MPC-HC which included in that pack. I'm fairly certain codecs don't enter into this. Just to be clear - I'm seeing the subtitles on the screen, they just don't appear on the screengrabs. That's why I had to do a printscreen.

Bodacious Space Pirates (Blu-ray)

Good lord....

BzJB2-qIIAAjFzE.jpg
BzJB3HtIYAAUxck.jpg
BzJB3McIAAAjsgm.jpg

Courtesy of Emo185.

Not to mention this is the 1080i version of the masters, not the upcoming 1080p version released by Sentai this month.

Cactus said:
My brain just keeps telling me "never pre-order again" and "how much was a region-free blu-ray player again?"
If they've removed the zone B compatibility on the new discs, the bypass method would still work so a new player wouldn't be required (and it wouldn't be needed if they've kept the region coding as it was in the two part releases).

NormanicGrav said:
Bodacious Space Pirates (Blu-ray)

Good lord....

BzJB2-qIIAAjFzE.jpg
BzJB3HtIYAAUxck.jpg
BzJB3McIAAAjsgm.jpg

Courtesy of Emo185.

Not to mention this is the 1080i version of the masters, not the upcoming 1080p version released by Sentai this month.

I should probably point out that, after a few tests, this issue is 'player specific'

for example on a Samsung Blu-ray Player this issue popped up, but upon playback on PS3 and PS4 it seemed to run fine... so yet again even more Anime Blu-rays that have issues with Samsung devices (amusingly both originally dubbed by Sentai Filmworks) as Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere Season 1 had 'no audio' on Samsung Devices

Emo185 said:
I should probably point out that, after a few tests, this issue is 'player specific'

for example on a Samsung Blu-ray Player this issue popped up, but upon playback on PS3 and PS4 it seemed to run fine... so yet again even more Anime Blu-rays that have issues with Samsung devices (amusingly both originally dubbed by Sentai Filmworks) as Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere Season 1 had 'no audio' on Samsung Devices

My K-ON!! Season 2 Part 2 Blu-ray (Australian release) has the same issue.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I started watching MangaUK's Blu-ray release of Attack on Titan - Part 1 this morning and noticed another 'minor' issue.

Just like with Psycho-Pass the chapter markings are every 3-4 minutes as opposed to set points within the episode. I.e. in FUNimation, Hanabee and Sentai authored discs you'll have a chapter point for the Opening, Part A, Part B, Ending and next episode preview.

Only noticed as i skipped the opening song on episode 3 and found myself in mid-dialogue (near enough).

I hate to be the one to break the news and it's quite concerning. There's still many defects with Gurren Lagann that haven't been fixed. Major Defects.
Unless it's been something with my setup, the Japanese audio for each episode is tinny and low quality (Compare it to the French track if you don't believe me). This varies by episode, and I've only re-checked disc 1 so far. e.g. episodes 1-5 sound as I've just described, but episodes 6-8 the issue seems to only apply to sound effects. There's two video capture errors on disc 1 alone which were not fixed despite the fact that the video has been redone and looks much better than before. The two capture errors are at Episode 5 @20:47 - 20:56 and Episode 7 @ 8:29 - 8:42 - with an audio skip at the start and end of the clip, leaving you with low quality interlaced video with compression artifacts throughout. There's also an audio skip in episode 9 which seems to have been partially fixed @~6:27.

I wasn't planning to, but it looks like I may well be importing Aniplex's singles. I honestly don't know how to feel...

Considering this is an ultimate edition and the fact they sent check discs out to fans for extra quality control, I was hoping there wouldn't be any issues.

Emulsion said:
Considering this is an ultimate edition and the fact they sent check discs out to fans for extra quality control, I was hoping there wouldn't be any issues.
Same here considering I actually checked the discs and have a txt file full of issues with it. I don't mind spending the time doing QC (and trust me, I went full OCD with it e.g. down to roughly how many ms the audio was out of sync by), but major issues like these should have been fixed before the product went to retail. Going by my original notes, the only episodes without issues in the Japanese audio track are episodes 17 - 22. Worse still, I'm not expecting a fix because there's potentially a lot of work to be done as a whole, but if these discs are ever re-authored like Bebop or DRRR, that's 4 BD50's that are going to have to be redone.

Uh-oh, not good. That interlacing looks pretty bad. Really surprised this has happened again, I just don't get how.

Considering the fallout from the Bebop errors on places like Blu-ray.com is still going, more errors could really harm Anime Limited's reputation.

Emulsion said:
So you put all that effort into doing some quality control, found issues, reported them and some of the issues are still there.
Well, one issue has been fixed so far. Funnily enough there was a video skip in episode 10 @ 17:27 which has now been "corrected", but it's now been turned into another video cap error, same as the last two.
I can understand missing the error in episode 5 since I did the first time, but these two stand out like a sore thumb. In the same episode the English audio still fluctuates between being in and obviously out of sync too.

Mangaranga said:
I hate to be the one to break the news and it's quite concerning. There's still many defects with Gurren Lagann that haven't been fixed. Major Defects.
Unless it's been something with my setup, the Japanese audio for each episode is tinny and low quality (Compare it to the French track if you don't believe me). This varies by episode, and I've only re-checked disc 1 so far. e.g. episodes 1-5 sound as I've just described, but episodes 6-8 the issue seems to only apply to sound effects. There's two video capture errors on disc 1 alone which were not fixed despite the fact that the video has been redone and looks much better than before. The two capture errors are at Episode 5 @20:47 - 20:56 and Episode 7 @ 8:29 - 8:42 - with an audio skip at the start and end of the clip, leaving you with low quality interlaced video with compression artifacts throughout. There's also an audio skip in episode 9 which seems to have been partially fixed @~6:27.

I wasn't planning to, but it looks like I may well be importing Aniplex's singles. I honestly don't know how to feel...

Wow, just wow. Think I'll cancel my copy of Kill la Kill, I just can't trust Anime Limited not to muck it up, complete shambles. I notice you say you did QC and mentioned these issues to them and then they did nothing about them too. Small capture errors don't bother me too much, but sound issues is a major deal....I don't even know what to say tbh, I don't think really disappointed comes close to describing it. A damn shame.

Buzzkillington said:
Wow, just wow. Think I'll cancel my copy of Kill la Kill, I just can't trust Anime Limited not to muck it up, complete shambles. I notice you say you did QC and mentioned these issues to them and then they did nothing about them too. Small capture errors don't bother me too much, but sound issues is a major deal....I don't even know what to say tbh, I don't think really disappointed comes close to describing it. A damn shame.
I think it's unfair to place the blame solely on Anime Limited. They aren't the ones authoring the discs. It's really the authoring house which should have rectified the issues as they're the ones putting everything together - and these issues would have gone off to them. You can tell that some of the issues have been fixed - e.g. some of the audio has been retimed correctly - but there's still some timing issues which remain like the audio for the Creditless ending for episode 16 being just over half a second late. Things like that I can maybe understand missing on a final QC pass, but missing issues like the video and audio errors are beyond me.

I don't think there's any need to cancel Kill La Kill since Masters already exist which Anime LTD can use, unlike this scenario where everything has been done themselves.

Oh, that ain't good. Does it effect the overall enjoyment of the show? Would someone who doesn't have OCDness with these types of things notice? (I only ask as I never notice video errors unless they're obvious)

So is the authoring house to blame as they should've fixed these issues?

I hate to see this happen to A/L, Andrew & co are so nice.. I want to see the company do really well so it's disheartening to hear things like this.

Mangaranga said:
I think it's unfair to place the blame solely on Anime Limited. They aren't the ones authoring the discs. It's really the authoring house which should have rectified the issues as they're the ones putting everything together - and these issues would have gone off to them. You can tell that some of the issues have been fixed - e.g. some of the audio has been retimed correctly - but there's still some timing issues which remain like the audio for the Creditless ending for episode 16 being just over half a second late. Things like that I can maybe understand missing on a final QC pass, but missing issues like the video and audio errors are beyond me.

I don't think there's any need to cancel Kill La Kill since Masters already exist which Anime LTD can use, unlike this scenario where everything has been done themselves.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I've not long came back to watching anime after years, and having never seen it before I can't tell you how excited I was to finaly see Gurren Lagann, this has now dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.

I don't understand the authoring process all that well so I'll take your word for it as you'd know better than me, I just assumed that after errors had been "fixed" they would have checked them again. It is good to know that Kill la Kill is being done elsewhere so I will keep my order, but that doesn't change the fact I will now think twice about pre-ordering Anime Limited products, which is a shame because I love what they're trying to do.

With all that being said, I'm sure I'll still enjoy the show, and I'm sure I'll get over it, but I'm still pretty disappointed this has happened again with a Anime Limited release I was excited to see (Other being Durarara!!).

I remember one response to me when I mentioned audio problems on the test discs. That some parts (non dialogue) were in mono and couldn't be changed. So that may be why the Japanese side is having issues still.

Hopefully they don't mind me posting that, but it shows that they did the best they could with what they were given from the Japanese.
I don't have my copy yet, so can't look myself at the moment.

Back