Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

msgeek said:
Dannielle said:
Ahhh, yikes. Thanks Emo185 & Rui.

Time to drop some dolla on a new TV...

I'd try and rule out cables > disk (on another system) > bd player etc before assuming TV. Spending a bunch of money on a new tv and then finding out it was a shoddy HDMI cable causing drop outs might be a bit painful... Of course unless you just want a new TV and needed a way to justify it :)

Ha :p I do need a new TV & have been debating purchasing one for a while cause those things ain't cheap, so yeah it does give me a solid reason to go ahead but saying that you bring up a good point. I'll have to try what you suggested, regretting not writing down the times/episodes for the drop in audio cause I can't bloody remember when they occurred. Oopsy.

demonix said:
Emo185 said:
Mangaranga said:
Not a defect by any means, but the blurays for Log horizon (Part 1 at least) have had the creditless opening and endings spliced into the episodes. They feel a bit empty without the credits, especially the ED. The same creditless versions can also be found in the extras on the second disc, but they are pretty much redundant.

The DVD's were also a similar story (i.e. creditless opening and closing in the episode themselves).
There doesn't seem to be any reports about this issue for the US version, so it might have been altered by the Australian distributor when they created their masters or it hasn't been noticed (or I haven't found any information related to the issue).

I have just checked episode 1 in my US version, and it is the same, with an English credits on a black screen tacked on the end.

Log Horizon Part 2 blu-ray disk 1... At the end of episode 20 it won't jump to Episode 21, it throws me back to my bluray players home screen. Because my bluray player auto-resumes it did it every time I tried to reload the disk.

I can manually play episode 21 from the disks title menu though.

Has anybody else had this problem or watched those 2 episodes consecutively without issue?

Strange, I don't remember that happening to me when I played it. Perhaps an issue with your disc or player?

My player is a Sony BDPS1100. I'll check it again later and on my PS3 to see if the error lies on the disk, the device or if it was just a freak occurrence.

I was on play all with Japanese+Subs. Hadn't removed the disk since I put it in, watched half yesterday, the other half today (my bluray player auto-resumes). I am going to go and check it again shortly I've just been doing other stuff. Disk is undamaged.

Edit: Just had a quick run through it in both languages (Skipping all the way through and from episode 20-21) and it's fine so it must've been my player. I could reproduce it earlier but not now. I have cleared the cache and deleted the memory stick save data since then though so maybe something had got corrupted there.

I encountered a oddity with the Dream Eater Merry DvD I picked up a while back from MvM

The first episode of each disc froze at the point where the next episode preview ended and the Sentai credits were due to start. Fast forwarding for 15-20 seconds seemed to get it to play the sentai credits though during this fast-forwarding the time elapsed didn't increase. All other episodes worked fine transitioning from next ep preview to the sentai credits immediately.

msgeek said:
Spending a bunch of money on a new tv and then finding out it was a shoddy HDMI cable causing drop outs might be a bit painful...
On that subject... I recently replaced my HDMI switch box because I kept getting random dropouts whenever I used it.
Turns out it was my best cable, which is the one I used for the output of the switch box but for some reason only started doing the same thing on it's own after I ordered a replacement switchbox...

I mentioned it in my review on AnimeBlurayUK but the Nadia Blu-ray release has some 'potentially' minor issues regarding the picture quality during certain scenes.

In short it’s a superb HD transfer but there are a few issues; for starters throughout the series, with it being most notable in Episode 2, the picture softens and becomes blurred; as if the camera was out of focus during that scene. Another issue I spotted was in Episode 25 (at the 19:29 mark) whereby for several noticeable seconds the picture quality becomes terrible – This issue occurs again in Episode 26 (around the 4:00 mark).

Can only assume Sentai Filmworks (as they initially created the Blu-ray release) spliced in footage from an older DVD/VHS release but the drop in quality is noticeable (even more so than Anime Limited's Gurren Lagann release.

It's more likely a case of someone at Sentai screwing up the encoding. It isn't the first time one of their releases has had this issue. This also affected Horizon S1 and Colorful.
Do you have any screen caps of said issue?

Considering the face that Siren Visual is the distributor in Australia, and that they don't seem to have a good record with regards to quality it might be that if the masters were obtained from them it is likely that they mucked things up since there aren't any reports that I'm aware of for the US release that show these issues (I've only looked at the dedicated thread on TFP, and there isn't any mention of any video issues there and no glitch reports either).

Hey,

I don't know if this is really the right place to ask this but has anyone found a fault with the dub track on Episode 23 of Anime Limited's Release (Ultimate Edition) of Gurren Lagann? I was just watching this particular release for the first time and noticed there's a noticeable delay on part of the English track when
Simon is talking to Rossiu after he tries to kill himself
- when the camera pans to Simon and he says ''You had the courage and strength to do...etc etc" (it's at about 14.56) but for the first few seconds of him talking, Simon's mouth doesn't even open - it seems like the audio is delayed and it's very noticeable! I've tried the disc on a few different players to make sure it wasn't just my player being funny and it still happened. I also checked my dvd version and some online streams to see if it was just a fault the show had but all the other versions were in-sync so I'm a bit confused whether I just got a duff copy or whether this is just a fault the blu-ray had in general? If it's just my copy then I'll get a replacement but I don't want to shell out more cash if it is like that on all of them! I don't suppose anyone here could check their copies and lemme know?

Thank you!

speedyspeck said:
Hey,

I don't know if this is really the right place to ask this but has anyone found a fault with the dub track on Episode 23 of Anime Limited's Release (Ultimate Edition) of Gurren Lagann? I was just watching this particular release for the first time and noticed there's a noticeable delay on part of the English track when
Simon is talking to Rossiu after he tries to kill himself
- when the camera pans to Simon and he says ''You had the courage and strength to do...etc etc" (it's at about 14.56) but for the first few seconds of him talking, Simon's mouth doesn't even open - it seems like the audio is delayed and it's very noticeable!
Some of the lip flaps were changed for the Bluray release in Japan so it syncs up with the Japanese audio. Naturally this makes the other dubs appear poorly synced. I'm pretty sure this was one of the scenes where it was changed. I'll double check later on for you. (Another example of where this happened is during the bath house episode. Simon says "this is great... Right bro?" but the flaps are completely out. Same for the FR audio)

IncendiaryLemon said:
I have the standard edition blu rays but I assume the discs are the same. I'll be able to check tomorrow.

Mangaranga said:
Some of the lip flaps were changed for the Bluray release in Japan so it syncs up with the Japanese audio. Naturally this makes the other dubs appear poorly synced. I'm pretty sure this was one of the scenes where it was changed. I'll double check later on for you. (Another example of where this happened is during the bath house episode. Simon says "this is great... Right bro?" but the flaps are completely out. Same for the FR audio)

Ah, that might explain it then - I tried looking around online to see if it was a known issue but couldn't find anything, so that's quite helpful to know! I seem to remember that moment in the bath house now that you mention it too, though I clearly didn't find it as jarring as the moment I mentioned...it really does draw you out of the moment when the character is speaking but their mouth is closed - maybe Simon was practicing his ventriloquism...

speedyspeck said:
Ah, that might explain it then - I tried looking around online to see if it was a known issue but couldn't find anything, so that's quite helpful to know! I seem to remember that moment in the bath house now that you mention it too, though I clearly didn't find it as jarring as the moment I mentioned...it really does draw you out of the moment when the character is speaking but their mouth is closed - maybe Simon was practicing his ventriloquism...
For comparison sake, here is the Japanese side from the AoA BD and Bandai DVD.

Mangaranga said:
It's more likely a case of someone at Sentai screwing up the encoding. It isn't the first time one of their releases has had this issue. This also affected Horizon S1 and Colorful.
Do you have any screen caps of said issue?

I assume (due to out-of-date Blu-ray software) I can't play Animatsu Discs on my PC - and even if I could I can't do screencaps anyway; so in order to take screenshots I had to use the screenshot function on my Roxio Capture card; which of course gives off standard definition pictures.

Anyway; like I mentioned before the issue appears on Episode 25 (at the 19:29 mark) and it appears again in the following episode for a few seconds. Interestingly enough if you are watching the English Audio it goes out of sync for a few seconds and then back in sync once its back to the HD-Quality video.

Screencap of the low picture quality in the episode:

nadia_video_issue_animatsu_bluray1_zpso9hehl61.jpg

Screencap from another episode:

nadia_secret_blue_water_screenshot11_zpsclbgwfsw.jpg

You may not notice much difference in these screenshots; but when watching the show its painfully obvious.

I dug out my copy of the Sentai version of Nadia, it looks like it has the same issues.

For the one in Episode 25, at least, it seems to be the particular "shot" that is bad. It goes to bad quality then returns to normal and then goes bad again when the camera turns back around. I don't know if that's relevant, I suppose it could have something to do with the way it was originally made.

Back