First flaming, then trolling and insults?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem Aion is not how many people have watched how many series, but how many series' there are. No matter how much you watch it's unlikely you'll ever have more than a few in common with anyone else besides the very popular mainstream ones.

My point was, I don't think it would make the slightest bit of difference how much effort I put into an UY thread, the outcome will be the same.

Aion said:
But, Rui, there is no way of being calm and logical when it comes to one person dislikng another. There wouldn't be any fighting in the world if people could talk their issues out without resorting to being an ********. You just have to accept that, for whatever reason, some people just don't get on and argue simply because they see each other.

One day this utopia I dream of might be in reach...

At least if we could move past passive aggressiveness and completely random swearing/trolling of people who have nothing to do with the culprit's issues it will improve a little bit. The actual arguments aren't so bad in comparison.

Never thought we'd come to miss the epic homosexuality marriage thread with people agreeing to disagree and making genuine debate, eh?

R

Once again, we come back back to the main problem of this forum: the lack of members who watch anime on a regular basis. Other anime forums are able to continue without dying because members on those forums download, watch and post about newly airing series. I think there are less than 5 regular posters on here who are following anything that can be considered new. You're never going to get exciting discussions about dead series, just like you aren't going to get much out of this forum atm.

I post on NarutoFAN and MAL from time to time because those forums have people who watch anime. This forum? I use it to check for UK news and, since there's no discussion to be had with people who don't know what I'm on about, I use it to annoy The Geek. The news section aside, AUKN doesn't feel like an anime forums at all; it feels more like a normal UK forum with a few people who watch the odd anime. That's not good when this forum is supposed to be the most active UK anime board.

Aion said:
Once again, we come back back to the main problem of this forum: the lack of members who watch anime on a regular basis. Other anime forums are able to continue without dying because members on those forums download, watch and post about newly airing series.

That's actually exactly why I come here though. There's some digisub talk floating about but as I personally don't have the time/mindset to watch them myself I'm still on DVDs. I keep up with Japanese anime news and occasionally import things as they come out over there but I have little interest in reading endless spoilers for series I'm probably not going to see for over five years. This place could use more relevant activity, I agree with you there. As a UK anime forum though it would arguably be most relevant for that activity to focus on UK-accessible releases, past and present. Massive digisub communities are all over the place already.

I watch anime daily though and can't be bothered to do a MAL; remembering and cataloguing every single episode of every show over my lifetime sounds like more trouble than it's worth at this stage.

R

I think the best thing people can do right now is place this topic aside and post about anime instead. This thread seems to just be making a sore spot worse.

Bickering about how the forum is allegedly 'dead' won't improve matters.

We aren't "bickering"; we're talking. Until The Geek returns, I assure you this thread will stay pleasant.

Rui: I understand what you're saying about how the focus of a UK anime board should be UK releases - you're 100% correct. However, if no-one talks about what's just coming out of Japan, an anime forum won't stay active and, like this forum has, would die. Fansub discussions are needed because new stuff creates discussions and old stuff doesn't. By the time we get anime over here, it's already been discussed to death...hell, thanks to fansubs, even anme that's getting released in American is old even before it enters American shops.

You'd be surprised how addictive MAL is. I also thought it would be too troublesome to keep adding what I've read/watched, but it becomes fun once your list is fully up to date and you only needing to add a few new episodes/chapters each time you visit.

Aion said:
Rui: I understand what you're saying about how the focus of a UK anime board should be UK releases - you're 100% correct. However, if no-one talks about what's just coming out of Japan, an anime forum won't stay active and, like this forum has, would die. Fansub discussions are needed because new stuff creates discussions and old stuff doesn't. By the time we get anime over here, it's already been discussed to death...hell, thanks to fansubs, even anme that's getting released in American is old even before it enters American shops.

true very true

i may not then watch the fansubs, but i've got a head start on anime waaay before anyone else :lol:

well apart from you guys

Honestly... If I have the guts to actually blame one person, it isn't Citizengeek nor Lupus nor Aion nor anyone? I think Paul is to blame because it feels like he neglect the site and just watches over. Not that I'm blaming him fully, since he trusted this forum to the members to act mature and calm towards each other.

But that isn't the case anymore. I know I 'get annoyed' easily and just spout out random crap, plus I do 'dislike' citizengeek a lot, which is why I spout out random attacks at him. He annoys me. he really does.

SO yeah... Paul? I'm not against you or attacking you. But pretty much recently, it's your fault for letting this get out of hand... as well as mine and others who make this happen =/

We can't admit culpability then accuse Paul of being responsible for not smacking us when we wilfully act like jerks. More mod presence on the forum might alleviate the flaming/trolling but ultimately there aren't that many of us and I'd hope we are all adult enough to be able to play nice :(

The new threads are working well so far, keep it up all!

R

Paul is only human and he puts in as much time as he can to the site and the forum but he has other commitments like all of us and can only do so much. I would have thought that being a relatively small forum with a lot of regular posters you'd be able to show some restraint but some of you are just so argumentative that discussion fizzles away quickly and becomes something more personal.

Sy said:
Paul is only human and he puts in as much time as he can to the site and the forum but he has other commitments like all of us and can only do so much. I would have thought that being a relatively small forum with a lot of regular posters you'd be able to show some restraint but some of you are just so argumentative that discussion fizzles away quickly and becomes something more personal.

Which is why this forum cannot continue the 'it's a small forum, therefore members will be mature with each other'. It worked in the past, but it cannot work any more. We know he's human and such, and like I said, I ain't blaming him fully. But I think now is the time that we 'need moderators'.

When Paul was more active, he was heavy-handed because he didn't have much time to think things through or babysit. I think he actually told me that he didn't have the time required to keep watching what I do...

It's wrong to blame Paul for the actions of others. It's a mostly inactive forum, so he can be forgiven for not having the motivation required to keep checking to see if everyone is playing nice. I'm sure the site is much more important than the forum in the eyes of Paul, and I'm guessing he puts his time into working on the site these days.

Anyway, don't we already have mods who can do the modding? MelonMan and Scouser #1 both have green names... I've never read about them banning anyone or doing anything, though.

This thread will go to hell once 'C' graces us with his presence later.

Paul is currently on a pilgrimage of self-discovery, finding out more about himself every day. He has no time for this forum, really as he has other important things at hand. How do I know this? I asked him a while ago. He hasn't left us for dead but he will surely return soon and be reborn.

Also, I'm sorry, Aion, if you didn't like the "LOL SO RANDUM xDDD" comments I left you on your MAL, I thought you would, considering you love Naruto... [Not being personal, I'm serious]

EDIT:

Aion said:
I post on NarutoFAN

... I was beginning to like you.

Chrono Mizaki said:
Sy said:

Which is why this forum cannot continue the 'it's a small forum, therefore members will be mature with each other'. It worked in the past, but it cannot work any more. We know he's human and such, and like I said, I ain't blaming him fully. But I think now is the time that we 'need moderators'.

Thats all fine and dandy, asking for moderators, but that ain't as simple as one two three either, i believe the problem previously with them was that some of the old old mods got to serious and the "power", if you can call it, got to their heads, so they had their power taken away. Then of course we had Mangaminx and Chris as mods, still are, but the thing is, they are way to busy with their lives that they can't get on here. If we ask for moderators now, thats fine, but its a case of chosing the right people who aren't going to be over the top, yet know when to draw the line, and of course as everyone will say i'll do it, i can do it, and that will just make things worse =/

As for the case of the rest of the forum, personally when it comes to anime and manga, i talk when i can, its just that i, like many others, am extremely busy at present, so despite having so much in my backlog, i'm not getting anywhere with it because time is scarce. I expect a lot of the older members are in similar situations, including Paul.

Aion: I agree on the fact that Paul isn't to blame, but you obviously think CitizenGeek is one that does, which i don't believe. A lot of people on here do cause their own share of the problems, so blaming it on him isn't fair. People can say what they like to me on the matter, i don't mind, but i believe that to be the case.

Every forum I've ever joined eventually gives birth to one of these massive navel gazing threads. Eurogamer has one every two weeks or so.

Seriously, it's not that bad. All I want the mods to do is zap the spambots :(

fabricatedlunatic said:
Every forum I've ever joined eventually gives birth to one of these massive navel gazing threads. Eurogamer has one every two weeks or so.

Seriously, it's not that bad. All I want the mods to do is zap the spambots :(

The thing is, and people haven't seem to have noticed yet, is that myself, Ryo and Melonpan, may have the green names of mods, but we're limited as to where we can mod, myself and Ryo work on the character battles, whilst melonpan works on the news forum and general anime discussion, so we can't do much.

OK guys, I think the truth is we've probably just hit a brick wall with the argumentative nature of this community, and this, combined with my lack of free time, isn't really what I want to see happening. I couldn't really care less about the number of posts, but I'm finding myself turned off of AUKN at the moment precisely because the some of the egos in this place have become a problem and I can't really find the adequate time to deal with it. So, basically, I'm now going to be seriously looking at appointing a forum administrator to work alongside me, perhaps with one or two moderators as well. Hence, if you're genuinely interested in bettering this forum and helping to moderate the discussions, then get in touch with me via PM right now. It is important that we sort this out as soon as possible.

Ok, I'll get onto sending a PM to you in a moment. Do you have a questionnaire to fill out? That'd probably be easier than listing all my qualities and who I'd ban first.

But, seriously, pick Roy. He's the only active person who's intelligent enough to avoid arguments.

Paul said:
OK guys, I think the truth is we've probably just hit a brick wall with the argumentative nature of this community, and this, combined with my lack of free time, isn't really what I want to see happening. I couldn't really care less about the number of posts, but I'm finding myself turned off of AUKN at the moment precisely because the some of the egos in this place have become a problem and I can't really find the adequate time to deal with it. So, basically, I'm now going to be seriously looking at appointing a forum administrator to work alongside me, perhaps with one or two moderators as well. Hence, if you're genuinely interested in bettering this forum and helping to moderate the discussions, then get in touch with me via PM right now. It is important that we sort this out as soon as possible.

He has spoken :eek:

*bows*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back