UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [UK Anime Distributor] Manga Entertainment Discussion Th

Makes you wonder what exactly happened behind the scenes at Manga and if we'll ever find out.

Jon O Fun said:
Makes you wonder what exactly happened behind the scenes at Manga and if we'll ever find out.

Most importantly - What the hell was going on with Naruto: Blood Prison.

NormanicGrav said:
Jon O Fun said:

Most importantly - What the hell was going on with Naruto: Blood Prison.

Stuff like that was probably the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak - pure speculation, but I can't imagine Jerome and Andrew would have been keen to stay on at a company that was getting so much vitriol through social channels re. stuff like this and the chapter markers issues.

By this point, the podcasts had already started to tail off, so the avenues they had to be upfront and honest about these kinds of things weren't really there.

Considering earlier in the year they'd even been putting arguably lower-tier titles like Aesthetica of a Rogue on BR, the irony is that we sort of had it pretty good back then compared to the current DVD-only strategy.

But yeah, a lot of unanswered questions I'd love to have answered.

Hmm.. what kind of questions have been left unanswered I wonder.

NormanicGrav said:
Hmm.. what kind of questions have been left unanswered I wonder.
I think the question of the MASS exodus of staff up front and behind the scenes probably has a catalyst of note :)

(on the 30th January FOUR members of the board stepped down)

I wouldn't be surprised if Manga's UK arm becomes the same as the US one - a (seemingly) borderline dead company that only functions to sit on licenses and release something once in a blue moon.

Mangaranga said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Manga's UK arm becomes the same as the US one - a (seemingly) borderline dead company that only functions to sit on licenses and release something once in a blue moon.

*rerelease Ghost in the Shell every time a significant anniversary for it occurs.

One thing I certainly won't miss are the DVD/Blu-Ray double-packs for series like K, Persona or Tiger & Bunny. I'm convinced that some of those titles didn't do as well as they could have done because the price was higher than it should have been because of the extra discs packed-with.

But yeah, am sure that whatever shape or form the future of Manga takes, they'll continue to enjoy the GITS money that will always continue to trickle in.

I bought the Tiger and Bunny release because I loved the show and wanted a fancy edition (and didn't know how **** Kaze were at that point), but it's a crying shame it's not been released in a cheaper barebones form for others who may not have wanted to shell out £20+ per part.

That's true, I thought that a bare bones release would of followed, like with Persona...

I always remember Manga saying how lucky we got with Madoka and the way they got to release it as a single set, and how if they'd have to release it now, it would have had to have been a split release.

st_owly said:
I bought the Tiger and Bunny release because I loved the show and wanted a fancy edition (and didn't know how **** Kaze were at that point), but it's a crying shame it's not been released in a cheaper barebones form for others who may not have wanted to shell out £20+ per part.

Siren Visual have released it in a complete set for those who are desparate.

Jon O Fun said:
On a side note I just noticed Manga was named distributor of the year 2014 by NEO!

Big old congrats guys, proof miracles do come true and you can push out sub par & broken releases and people will still vote on name alone... :)

http://www.neomag.co.uk/art/anime-manga ... istributor

That made me chuckle. To be fair, I think their brand name has a lot of residual power - and if you did it purely on the quantity of big titles they put out from Jan to Sep 2014, it sort of makes sense in a way - I get the feeling the NEO voting audience includes a more casual demographic too for whom Manga are basically the be and end all when it comes to anime.

Mangaranga said:

They already look very much like a zombie company to me. I've moved my One Piece buying to the U.S & I can see Naruto & the few other odds & ends I pick up from them following suite.

Just Passing Through said:
As Manga use Madman's masters for that show, it'll be down to the PAL conversion in Australia. Look on the bright side, at least we still get decent chaptering and subtitles.
I feel I should point out that with everything coming as 24fps HD masters there is no PAL conversion anymore, they just speed the footage up. The only difference in video quality (unlike the old days of NTSC to PAL conversion) will be down to the encoding that happens afterwards as part of the DVD authoring.

Jon O Fun said:
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get Jerome extremely drunk at a convention....

Lutga said:
I always remember Manga saying how lucky we got with Madoka and the way they got to release it as a single set, and how if they'd have to release it now, it would have had to have been a split release.
I remember comment once on how the price might have to go up down the line, which led me to wonder if there hadn't been an error when Aniplex approved the pricing (e.g. they though the price was for the first BD, not all three) but they couldn't back out.

I mentioned on a Manga UK post promoting Fairy Tail that I think advertising a defective product without ever mentioning that it's defective is pretty scummy and they deleted my comment for me, as well as someone else's comment that said something along the same lines....Censoring criticism, scummy indeed. Not that I am surprised really.

Buzzkillington said:
I mentioned on a Manga UK post promoting Fairy Tail that I think advertising a defective product without ever mentioning that it's defective is pretty scummy and they deleted my comment for me, as well as someone else's comment that said something along the same lines....Censoring criticism, scummy indeed. Not that I am surprised really.
Scratch that, mine and the other guys comments have reappeared after someone asked if deleting comments about quality is now the official response....funny that.

Buzzkillington said:
Buzzkillington said:
Scratch that, mine and the other guys comments have reappeared after someone asked if deleting comments about quality is now the official response....funny that.

I was gonna say - is deleting comments their new policy? Or maybe they have no policy?

Either way, I don't think them continuing to bury their heads in the sand is great...

I only say this because I care about the company (and God knows they've made that difficult recently) but I wish they'd just comment one way or another to let the fans that actually buy their product where things stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back