UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [UK Anime Distributor] Manga Entertainment Discussion Th

With the chaptering thing, I fully understand why it's annoying (and I've been religiously adding all reports to the defective/disappointing release list) but I personally don't think I have ever used DVD chaptering often enough to notice something like that as I don't skip through shows. Maybe it's because I'm old but I'm in the habit of just putting a disc on and watching it through, or pausing it at a precise spot then coming back another day, so I never need to skip. I also never skip openings or endings because I like them!

Now, while I'm not saying this is normal I do think it's possible (and even likely) that the kind of person who buys releases with out-of-sync audio, bad video and the like without ever feeling cheated will also never notice the fact that the chapters are placed at illogical points. So Manga's usual audience is probably not rising up with pitchforks because they don't know that other companies manage to release discs without horrible usability flaws.

In other words, while I personally boycott Manga UK releases due to having been ripped off way too many times now (and not once have they attempted to fix any of those problems), I doubt their brand has especially been 'damaged' by their appalling antics. Many people will buy the discs to add to their collection and simply never watch them - online streaming exists - and it's not like Manga has had a perfect record historically either. Even back in the VHS days people would shake their heads over the wildly inaccurate dubbing designed to make shows more 'edgy' and they dragged their feet with subtitled releases. The brand power is strong enough to survive stupid decisions time and time again.

R

The thing is, while I agree the average consumer probably doesn't notice, the fact is that sales are down - even on long running titles like Naruto and Fairy Tail, so the onus is on Manga to try and come up with some USP to claw something back from that - otherwise we'll end up with titles like Robotics Notes completely flopping again and the end result being less stuff being licensed.

I think it's a natural decline as people move to new technology like digital distribution and BD. The 'delayed DVD-only versions of anime releases' market is not something which is ever going to grow (at best, the occasional marketing win will get a mainstream film release selling like crazy among casual people who aren't coming back to pick up Clannad on DVD later). Manga reps blaming things which have not especially increased in line with the drop in sales - like importing - are barking up the wrong tree. Like you say, they need to find USPs the way that MVM and Anime Limited have been striving to do.

R

It's funny how a few months back they said that future title would be blu-ray only and now it's straight back to dvd. I guess from here on it'll be whichever release requires the least effort & if both are available elsewhere region B then which is the cheapest.

serpantino said:
It's funny how a few months back they said that future title would be blu-ray only and now it's straight back to dvd. I guess from here on it'll be whichever release requires the least effort & if both are available elsewhere region B then which is the cheapest.

They probably presumed Blu-Ray sales would overtake DVD but even away from anime this isn't the case. Still bemuses me tbh but it seems people prefer cheaper products than better quality.

Most of my anime purchases are Manga Entertainment ones :)

I think it's just the way it turns out naturally without actually ever thinking about it whenever I buy them, coz afterwards I'm like, "Ah ok, it's another Manga Entertainment one" :p :)

One thing I realised is that due to the parting with Starz - who's going to be doing Manga/ Animatsu's distribution? Wasn't that the whole point of teaming up with Manga?

I've noticed that a lot of Manga titles from the last few weeks haven't been making the leap to VOD services like they were before (via Starz)

Rui said:
I think it's a natural decline as people move to new technology like digital distribution and BD. The 'delayed DVD-only versions of anime releases' market is not something which is ever going to grow (at best, the occasional marketing win will get a mainstream film release selling like crazy among casual people who aren't coming back to pick up Clannad on DVD later). Manga reps blaming things which have not especially increased in line with the drop in sales - like importing - are barking up the wrong tree. Like you say, they need to find USPs the way that MVM and Anime Limited have been striving to do.

R
Thoguh how much that was what Jerome and Pals thought and how much of that was what Stars told them to think is a very good question to ask.

At this point, I'm wondering if Manga shouldn't make their USP the ablity to get shows onto VOD. I saw an advert for the movie version of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Why isn't that a Light Novel title?) and it actually promoted getting the film on VOD (I think the icon they show is Itunes but they say "Digital Video") with the physical being the back burner item (and NO mention was made of the Blu Ray which, if Amazon is anything to go by might not even exist).

At this point, Manga should be focusing on adapting to the future and that, I think, means a focus on VOD services with Home Video being a secondary concern as is happening with the consumer.

And with less buggering around with the video files for them it stands to serve them in a good light. Horrible chapter markers? Video Conversion woes? Not any more with VOD!

KimmyKins83 said:
Can I just ask, is Starz an English owned company? :)
American, IIRC.

Is that really a USP for many of us, though? When Manga licenses something, there are several states the show will be in:

1. Stream already exists (Crunchyroll etc). In which case they are only selling to a subset of the potential market.
2. Stream doesn't already exist. Manga put it on a bunch of UK-specific VOD sites long after the simulcast period has finished, possibly adding dubs etc from overseas.

They'll want to prioritise shows which are in category #2, so it will not necessarily be a good thing for consumers if the companies go in this direction and interfere further with existing streaming arrangements.

Obviously it's super-important to get shows on UK Netflix and other major streaming portals to aid with discovery and converting/monetising new fans, but all I can see them focusing on VOD doing is blocking more shows on Crunchyroll etc just to put up crummy delaycasts later on. I won't be spending any more on Manga UK titles than I am now if they do that, so it doesn't really help with their problems attracting the evil importers back to the fold. Where will the revenue increase be coming from?

R

Then they don't have a market and they should cash out ASAP as the only move they can make is as you say, making the viewing experience worse for the uk customer.

The days of physical media are fast coming to an end and manga can ether evolve or be like betamax

In all honesty, I'm surprised someone like Studio Canal or Warners hasn't offered to buy them - surely they'd want the licenses to Akira/GITS alone - not to mention anything else.

The big issue for me there is if manga UK do ho digital only will they also hold the physical release rights?

I'd be fine with them going purely digital given their poor quality physical releases but only if it left the physical rights open to better companies and they don't try to dissuade companies from passing on those licenses or hold onto them themselves.

Digital is worth very little to me. I pay for Netflix & that's it (instead of wasting money on a TV license) and we really dont have the infrastructure in the UK for it. Right now I am having to watch blurays because my connection is too poor this evening to watch what I had intended to watch on Netflix.

I also like to have my anime on a shelf to watch anytime I want. It's easier than remembering what sites I own what on as well & as I've said before, it'll be a long time before we can stream bluray quality & the 1:1 downloads would be big.

Lutga said:
In all honesty, I'm surprised someone like Studio Canal or Warners hasn't offered to buy them - surely they'd want the licenses to Akira/GITS alone - not to mention anything else.
Is getting Akira / GITS worth the bother of having to deal with all the boobie cartoons?

ConanThe3rd said:
Lutga said:
Is getting Akira / GITS worth the bother of having to deal with all the boobie cartoons?

If you fancy a serious change of pace and genre then those two will most definitely do the trick :)

KimmyKins83 said:
Most of my anime purchases are Manga Entertainment ones :)

I think it's just the way it turns out naturally without actually ever thinking about it whenever I buy them, coz afterwards I'm like, "Ah ok, it's another Manga Entertainment one" :p :)

I think the only ME titles I picked up last year were the Attack on Titan ones. At the moment most of my UK pick ups are Anime Limited ones. Teething problems aplenty with their releases but I love their packaging, and love the shows/movies they're bringing to the UK.

Prepare to start importing One Piece too...

Madman Entertainment switch to NTSC from Collection 28, which means at that point Manga will start self-authoring, and we all know what that means when it comes to chapters and subtitles.

That will be from episode 337

We're at episode 205 so far, so we've got about 4 UK releases to go, about a year's worth before the bottom falls out of UK One Piece.

I find it ironic that Manga are spending money to promote their posts on FB, only for 40+ fans to comment on those paid posts slagging the company off for not releasing BluRays. And do they offer up a response? Nope.

Actually, I notice they posted this on a recent FB update in reply to user:

Deciding on formats is always a big decision at Manga HQ. We don't roll dice or flip coins, it's more an educated process. We know we'll always disappoint a few by doing DVD only however decisions like this mean there's more room to acquire new titles or offer up Blu-ray on more sought after titles later in the year.

The DVDs do look great and would be a great addition to anyone's Manga UK Collection.

https://www.facebook.com/mangauk/posts/ ... comments=3

Just Passing Through said:
Prepare to start importing One Piece too...

Madman Entertainment switch to NTSC from Collection 28, which means at that point Manga will start self-authoring, and we all know what that means when it comes to chapters and subtitles.

That will be from episode 337

We're at episode 205 so far, so we've got about 4 UK releases to go, about a year's worth before the bottom falls out of UK One Piece.

I've already given up on Manga when it comes to One Piece. I much prefer Funimation's treatment of the show plus they are absolutely miles ahead compared to Manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back