Muslims offended by picture of dog on police adverts

Sy said:
Ok, I kinda wish I never started this topic now since it just seems to be flaming almost blind hate towards Muslims. People calling them 'assholes' and telling them to '**** off' isn't what I intended to happen since I thought you know... well the posters were a little more mature on this forum than that. Like I said before my point was that I'm more annoyed that the police just did as they said for fear of not seeming to respect their belief. They can be offended all they like but it's up to our officials to decide where the line has to be drawn.

This is exactly what I was referring to when I said that talking about this stuff is dangerous because it could lead to blind bigotry. Which it seems is what's happening.

Gacha said:
Maltos said:
You make a valid point Sy...
But i can still be pissed off at the way our country deals with these sorts of people.
I'm happy with Muslims practicing their faith in the country but when it intrudes on everyday happenings like this its just out of hand.

Well i'm gonna have to make a complete 180 on the matter and ask do you know any muslims personally and do they constantly petition for britan to become little islam?
I do know a Muslim [though it doesnt help that i went to a christian high school] and no they dont.
But thats not my point. Obviously theres always extremists and thats what needs to be dealt with, i feel. Because of these people who are basically giving a bad name to the muslim community it leads to normal muslims who are happy to be practicing their faith without making a big deal out of things like this having racism against them.

And no its not blind bigotry CG. No problems with the muslim faith as a whole. Its this small minority that i have a problem with.

There's three fundamental things that you shouldn't really talk about because it's 100% fact that it will 'end in tears'

1 Gender and sex preferrences
2 Religion
3 Politics

All three we seem to of touched base upon this forum, unfortunately. =/

"Keh Sera Sera"

Tachi- said:
There's three fundamental things that you shouldn't really talk about because it's 100% fact that it will 'end in tears'

1 Gender and sex preferrences
2 Religion
3 Politics

All three we seem to of touched base upon this forum, unfortunately. =/

"Keh Sera Sera"

Arent 1 and 2 effectively Number 3 anyway??
:lol:

Ah well.

I can see this getting locked in the interests of, y'know, flaming, pretty sharpish so before that happens I'll say I'm with Sy on this one. This issue is I think as much to do with the idiotic and irresponsible way in which our media reports incident like this. It seems we only need one news article to put its own spin on stupid people misinterpreting a religious belief and we have muck-slinging aimed at entire religion.

Seriously guys, save your vitriol for the Daily Mail or something. This anti-islam theme is making me feel uncomfortable.

Martin said:
This anti-islam theme is making me feel uncomfortable

Not really; Islam, the religion, deserves all the criticism it gets and more. It's when people start making derogatory comments about Muslims that things get a little uncomfortable. That's an important distinction.

Martin said:
Seriously guys, save your vitriol for the Daily Mail or something. This anti-islam theme is making me feel uncomfortable.

The fact that people are directing their abuse at muslims rather than the police (who were actually the ones at fault here) makes me feel very uncomfortable.

If I told the police I didn't think their uniforms should be black and they changed them to pink because of my request, who would be most to blame - the one who made the suggestion, or the one who made the decision?

ayase said:
The fact that people are directing their abuse at muslims rather than the police (who were actually the ones at fault here) makes me feel very uncomfortable.
Sorry but im completely against that. Why are the police at fault? because they printed a card with a cute dog in a policemans hat? thats not a bad thing at all and anyone who feels that what the police did was wrong or that the police deserve abuse for something so trivial it shouldn't even be an issue.

ayase said:
If I told the police I didn't think their uniforms should be black and they changed them to pink because of my request, who would be most to blame - the one who made the suggestion, or the one who made the decision?

1 I'd blame the police in that instance because bowing down and changing their uniform colour on request is moronic.
2 I'd then blame the person for being such a trivial minded amoeba and i'd proceed to make them a paper cone hat with "smallminded dumbass" wrote on it. (Note: im not directing this at you i'm directing it to if someone actually did it)

Tachi- said:
1 I'd blame the police in that instance because bowing down and changing their uniform colour on request is moronic.
2 I'd then blame the person for being such a trivial minded amoeba and i'd proceed to make them a paper cone hat with "smallminded dumbass" wrote on it. (Note: im not directing this at you i'm directing it to if someone actually did it)

And how is this any different from taking down the posters? I don't blame the police for making the posters Tachi, but I do blame them from giving in to pressure to remove them.

There are always people who disagree with free speech and want things their way. The important thing is that the authorities of a country which prides itself on free speech should not give in to them, which in this case the police have done. That's why I blame them far more than the people who wanted rid of the posters.

CitizenGeek said:
Martin said:
This anti-islam theme is making me feel uncomfortable

Not really; Islam, the religion, deserves all the criticism it gets and more. It's when people start making derogatory comments about Muslims that things get a little uncomfortable. That's an important distinction.

Have to say I agree with you here CG, although it is in the fact that I really dislike religion in general, there are many reasons for this includng how it is used to as an excuse to kill millions of innocent people.

Of course I have absolutoly no personal problem with anyone who is religious, regardless of creed, and I think if you do you need to take a little look at yourself.

ayase said:
Tachi- said:

And how is this any different from taking down the posters? I don't blame the police for making the posters Tachi, but I do blame them from giving in to pressure to remove them.

There are always people who disagree with free speech and want things their way. The important thing is that the authorities of a country which prides itself on free speech should not give in to them, which in this case the police have done. That's why I blame them far more than the people who wanted rid of the posters.

Ahh, right, got you now. Sorry, for a moment there i thought you meant that you'd blame the police for being inconsiderate lol, nevermind ^^

Not read all the posts yet, but commenting on the original post...

Probably going to go off on a rant here and give the wrong impression, but **** it.

All this political correctness is just ********.

I'll be first to admit, i'm not racist by any means - infact several of my friends are of different ethnicities, - but i'm becoming increasingly intollerent.

It's a fine thing when you find yourself increasingly being treated like an inferior race... IN YOUR OWN ******* COUNTRY.

Seriously, if I were to go over to a middle eastern country and start spouting off about Jesus and how middle easten culture offends me, i'd be laughed at, stoned or burned at the stake as a heretic.

They chose to settle in this country, they should abide by OUR laws and customs. Now, what they do in their own homes, fair enough, but anything else, if they don't like it, then why not **** off back to their own country.

Fuckin soft touch Britain strikes again.

Tasker said:
Not read all the posts yet, but commenting on the original post...

Probably going to go off on a rant here and give the wrong impression, but **** it.

All this political correctness is just ********.

I'll be first to admit, i'm not racist by any means - infact several of my friends are of different ethnicities, - but i'm becoming increasingly intollerent.

It's a fine thing when you find yourself increasingly being treated like an inferior race... IN YOUR OWN ******* COUNTRY.

Seriously, if I were to go over to a middle eastern country and start spouting off about Jesus and how middle easten culture offends me, i'd be laughed at, stoned or burned at the stake as a heretic.

They chose to settle in this country, they should abide by OUR laws and customs. Now, what they do in their own homes, fair enough, but anything else, if they don't like it, then why not **** off back to their own country.

Fuckin soft touch Britain strikes again.

That was bliss to read, i second it.

I have no problem with Muslims (although I do have a problem with religion as a whole), but they do have to realise that this is England, not Afganistan or whatever country they originated from.

If they don't want to have anything to do with dogs in their religious practices then fine, but in the grand sceme of things it's just hard cheese!
Dogs are as much a part of our culture as fish & chips, and I see no reason to change it now.

Honestly, some people take their religion a tad too seriously.
Wars develop from when one group can't except another's ways.
Is humanity doomed to repeat it's self-made trajedies over and over again?

Maltos said:
Tachi- said:
That was bliss to read, i second it.
Thirded.

Fourthed, I must say you make a great point,(in no uncertain terms I might add^^)

I mean when you go to your friends house,
you graciously abide by how they do things, its simple manners really.

Godamn, just one more pointless problem religion causes.

Polo said:
I'm muslim, and I don't find that pic offensive at all. I just think some muslims tend to be in their own world at times, thinking subtle things can be sins etc.

The Daily Mail is a carbon copy of the sun mind, i.e. shite. What was the journo's purpose of writing up such a non-story?....yeah thats right, to give another reason to lower muslims' status.

Personally I don't get touchy very easily with things to do with Islam. I'm very laid back when it comes to all this political ****. Lets just live ours ffs, and get on with each other without caring if we're muslim, jew or whatever?

Like chaos said, there are fools in every society, its just our job to not let them get to us and not create even more prejudice.

what he said...plus i too am a muslim...

Sy said:
It seems like no matter what you do these days you're going to offend somebody.

Its true, you cant keep everyone happy atall anymore. People just nitpick at little things in order to start a ruckus.

Back