Neon Genesis Evangelion Premium Collection (UK VERSION)

Its funny, but two or three years ago I would always have put video games ahead of DVD's. Yet now its the opposite principal! How things have changed.

Don't know why I mentioned that really. Still, I've had this pre-ordered since it was announced on Play.com and I've only ever watched the series once (I haven't seen any of the Director's Cut material either), so I'm looking forward to this.

Hovis! said:
Its funny, but two or three years ago I would always have put video games ahead of DVD's. Yet now its the opposite principal! How things have changed.

Don't know why I mentioned that really. Still, I've had this pre-ordered since it was announced on Play.com and I've only ever watched the series once (I haven't seen any of the Director's Cut material either), so I'm looking forward to this.

You would not believe how i am the complete oppostie to you right now! lol
past few years and months i have been getting manga and anime more than video games. but ever since i pre-orered the Wii, there has been nothing else on my mind.
i even had to cancell my pre-order for this NGE box-set to save money -_-
looks like one cannot have everything hehe

ADV release:

Evangelion Platinum Tin Extremely Limited In Quantity - Order Now!

A point of clarification: Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum Complete Collection Limited Edition Tin is being produced in a very limited run and once we have sold out, we will NOT be replacing it. Select online retailers have come back to us to talk about getting more copies, and we have had to point out to them that there will be no more! So if you`re thinking of getting your hands on one of these gorgeous sets, the ideal Christmas present for the hardcore GAINAX otaku, then make sure and pre-order your copy!

kupoartist said:
Hopefully ADV will release a cheaper, unlimited run series boxset later on. I'm not too keen on such an expensive set anyway.

I suspect you're right. Later down the line, another kind of boxset will probably appear. :)

Still, I've ordered the Platinum boxset from Play.com at £66.99 and I worked out even if I got the individual platinums in a sale, as a collective all-in-one purchase the boxset (for the time being anyway) will be cheaper than them individually. So from my angle, I would say the price for this, for what you get, is about right.

Though the retail recommended price of £99.99 is very expensive in my opinion (I mean, that's a £33 difference when buying it online). :)

kupoartist said:
Hopefully ADV will release a cheaper, unlimited run series boxset later on. I'm not too keen on such an expensive set anyway.

I'd much rather prefer that, like the US Thinpak set....only with all the extras intact

GrantM said:
kupoartist said:

I'd much rather prefer that, like the US Thinpak set....only with all the extras intact
The extras were awful though... You get to see a rather grim look at Tiffany Grants home and a guy talking about one of the angels being flying penis.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
GrantM said:
kupoartist said:

The extras were awful though... You get to see a rather grim look at Tiffany Grants home and a guy talking about one of the angels being flying penis.

Oh come on the extras were excellent. Commentaries on each disc, even if you didn’t like those there were original animatics, a 45 minute look at the mythology of Eva, a look into the creation and cleanup of the dub and some other fun bits and bobs. As Anime DVD's go they were some of the best extras yet. :roll:

I treat extra features really obscurely now I think about it. I like to have extra features, but I rarely watch and / or listen to them. However, I like to have them there because I know that later down the line I will watch / listen to them.

Don't see why I needed to write that but thought I'd mention it.

butch-cassidy said:
Oh come on the extras were excellent. Commentaries on each disc, even if you didn’t like those there were original animatics, a 45 minute look at the mythology of Eva, a look into the creation and cleanup of the dub and some other fun bits and bobs. As Anime DVD's go they were some of the best extras yet. :roll:
I'll give you the Animatics as they were pretty cool to see but the rest about the English dub, sound mixing, a guys interpretation of the series and a depressing glimpse of Tiffany Grant are not something that interested me.

The short interviews with people who were involved in the actual creation of the show on the SAC DVD's are better than most of those extras put together in my opinion.

I though the extra's were great but the first 5 volumes or so were all that great. Part from the booklet inside most of the voice over commetaries were pretty annoying since there is some much that they could be talking about and all they do is talk about them self's. Later volumes are great talking in deeth about the angels and the like. I bought them all singler cost me hell of alot of money compared to the the boxset missed that deal.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
a depressing glimpse of Tiffany Grant

Why and in what way was this depressing?

I haven’t seen NGE yet as I’m waiting for this box set. And even then I’ve got to wait till Xmas to watch it. I so can’t wait though!

Plus I rarely watch anything dubbed preferring subbed so I don’t really know a lot about any of the regular English VA’s.

harkins said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
a depressing glimpse of Tiffany Grant

Why and in what way was this depressing?

We are shown around her collection of Asuka merchandise. She is a huge anime fan girl and having met her in real life, in a good way. I personally didn’t think it was depressing in the least more fun than anything else.

That sounds rather good to me. It’s nice to know that some VA’s have an enthusiastic passion for the subject to which they owe their employment.

Having listened to an episode commentary and an interview with some actresses (including Tiffany Grant, Monica Rial and Hilary Haag) on a Noir DVD I got the impression that some of them aren’t much impressed by anime. In fact at times they were bordering on taking the piss.

Back