The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Viz Media Europe have the rights to Terra Formars. Oh god.

What's left of KAZE:
- The rest of Bleach
- The Future Diary
- Magi Season 2
- Nisekoi
- A few licenses on Animax which may/may not go to them (Chunibyo!, Date A Live, Maoyu etc.)

---------------

On a more positive note, the latest Blu-ray sales (22nd to 28th) in Japan look promising (Highlighed are new Volume 1 listings):

01 - Love Live! School Idol Project Season 2 - Volume 4 (Limited Special Edition) - 41,243
02 - Hanamonogatari - Volume 1/Suruga Devil (Part 1) (Limited Complete Pressing) - 28,743
03 - Ghost in the Shell ARISE - Volume 4 - 9,777
04 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Volume 3 (Limited First Pressing) - 8,541
05 - Frozen - 8,262 [total: 2,207,758]
06 - The irregular at magic high school Nyūgaku-gen - Volume 3 (Limited Complete Pressing) - 8,057
07 - Gekkan Shōjo Nozaki-kun - Volume 1 - 7,639
08 - Aldnoah.Zero - Volume 1 (Limited Complete Pressing) - 7,280
09 - Is the order a rabbit? - Volume 4 (Limited First Edition) - 7,053
10 - Kuroko's Basketball 2nd Season - Volume 9 - 7,004
11 - Knights of Sidonia - Volume 5 (Limited First Pressing) - 6,133
12 - No Game, No Life - Volume 4 - 5,705
13 - Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei! - Volume 1 - 4,384
14 - Barakamon - Volume 1 - 3,941
15 - Date A Live II - Volume 4 - 3,834
16 - Nisekoi - Volume 7 (Limited Complete Pressing) - 3,807
17 - Turn A Gundam - Blu-ray Box I - 3,449
18 - Hanayamata - Volume 1 (Limited First Pressing) - 3,280
19 - Mushishi: The Next Chapter - Volume 2 (Limited Complete Pressing) - 3,088
20 - Black Butler: Book of Circus - Volume 2 (Limited Complete Pressing) - 2,860

----------------------

Aniplex of America have announced they'll be discontinuing the following items:
SANTA MONICA, CA (September 29, 2014)–Aniplex of America, Inc. announced today that they will be discontinuing sales of eight products on October 31st. Fans who may have been waiting to purchase these items are encouraged to make their purchases before this date as no new orders will be taken for these following SKUs and will no longer be available through official retailers:

SKU#
Product Title
Media
Year Released
-
AOA-1801
Blue Exorcist DVD Vol. 1
DVD
-
AOA-1802
Blue Exorcist DVD Vol. 2
DVD
-
AOA-1804
Blue Exorcist DVD Vol. 4
DVD
-
A0A-0702
Durarara!! DVD Part 2
DVD
-
AOA-0703
Durarara!! DVD Part 3
DVD
-
GURREN LAGANN The Movie -Childhood’s End- Limited Edition
DVD
-
GURREN LAGANN The Movie -Childhood‘s End– Regular Edition
DVD
-
GURREN LAGANN The Movie -The Lights in the Sky are Stars- Limited Edition
DVD
You can get Blue Exorcist, Durarara!! and Gurren Lagann on Blu-ray across all English regions, the DVD versions will still be available in UK (coming soon) & Australia.

Rosencrantz said:
Dannielle said:
Tokyo Ghoul, Nozaki-Kun & The World God Only Knows pls. Someone, pls.

Shueisha, Square Enix, Shogakukan or if you prefer, Viz, Yen Press, Viz

Seven Seas have always been quite open about what they can and cannot licence, all those titles are locked into deals with other companies I'm afraid.

Oh, so are those first three the companies its released/licensed to in Japan followed by the western companies who would distribute? Not a clue on how Manga licensing works.

Essentially - Viz is co-owned by Shogakukan and Shueisha, so their titles are essentially exclusive to Viz (bar a very few exceptions). NB this does not mean Viz only license from these publishers, they have titles from Ichijinsha (Loveless, 07-Ghost), Akita Shoten (Black Rose Alice), Hakusensha (see below), Kadokawa and some others which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Square Enix have a deal with Yen Press (though I believe they also deal with Vertical). Likewise, this does not mean Yen doesn't get stuff from other publishers. Notably, they have recently picked up a couple of Kodansha titles.

Kodansha Comics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kodansha, another Japanese publisher. Kodansha Japan also owns about 50% of Vertical. Vertical are very explicit about which publishers they can/cannot work with.

Hakusensha is owned by either Shogakukan or Shueisha (can't remember which), but they do not restrict themselves to Viz. Most of their stuff which makes it to the West is shojo (Notable example: Maid-sama went to Tokyopop, whereas Vampire Knight and Ouran Host Club from the same magazine went to Viz)

Kadokawa is an odd beast. They license a lot to Yen Press, but do work with Viz as well. AFAIK, they won't work with Vertical.

Just a little note to those who buy the Bleach sets like I do, I just received my Series 14 Part 1 "set", and to my surprise its no longer a 3 Disc set like originally advertised (and like prior Series 13 releases), it is in fact on two discs. That's right, two plastic single disc cases in a cardboard outer box... wow.

I'd be annoyed price wise, but I did pay the same for it as, say, the two-disc plastic case releases for Naruto S., so its not that I feel ripped off, it's just... confusing. Just thought I'd share, anyway.

st_owly said:
Essentially - Viz is co-owned by Shogakukan and Shueisha, so their titles are essentially exclusive to Viz (bar a very few exceptions). NB this does not mean Viz only license from these publishers, they have titles from Ichijinsha (Loveless, 07-Ghost), Akita Shoten (Black Rose Alice), Hakusensha (see below), Kadokawa and some others which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Square Enix have a deal with Yen Press (though I believe they also deal with Vertical). Likewise, this does not mean Yen doesn't get stuff from other publishers. Notably, they have recently picked up a couple of Kodansha titles.

Kodansha Comics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kodansha, another Japanese publisher. Kodansha Japan also owns about 50% of Vertical. Vertical are very explicit about which publishers they can/cannot work with.

Hakusensha is owned by either Shogakukan or Shueisha (can't remember which), but they do not restrict themselves to Viz. Most of their stuff which makes it to the West is shojo (Notable example: Maid-sama went to Tokyopop, whereas Vampire Knight and Ouran Host Club from the same magazine went to Viz)

Kadokawa is an odd beast. They license a lot to Yen Press, but do work with Viz as well. AFAIK, they won't work with Vertical.

As you can see from Seven Seas are unfortunately locked out of a lot of titles people would like to see, made somewhat worse because the other companies don't limit themselves to their exclusive deals and dip into the remaining pool of potential that Seven Seas have access to.

Still I'm sure we'll see some good licences from them

Emulsion said:
Looking forward to Space Dandy. I noticed the art book got bigger as well which is nice. Wasn't it originally 96 pages?

Possibly - there was way too much awesome stuff to access though to say no!

Emulsion said:
Also, it's the complete series 1, so I don't get why "Box 1" is on there.

Because there's a season 2 - will look it over and figure if we can change.

Emulsion said:
Like Mangaranga said, it's a little disappointing there is no 5.1.

Alas not but gotta work with what we've got. In fairness too - the Japanese would always be 2.0 too as that's what they use for broadcast.

Emulsion said:
Only an English and French sub track are listed, so does that mean there's no sign/song track?

Might need someone to refresh my memory, but I'm sure there was a few episodes where there was some signs and alien text that had an English translation popped up. I'm sure the episode with Meows parents house was one.

Will check into this when I QC - some eps there are bits where aliens talk or such that do get subs in the simulcast and as you'll see in KLK - text is superimposed on the Japanese too as per broadcast so definitely won't leave stuff out if I can :).

Best,

AP

st_owly said:

Seven Seas has quite a few series that were released by Kadokawa as well, through ASCII Media Works.

Hakusensha isn't owned by either Shogakukan or Shueisha, they're just in the same business group as both. Shodensha is as well, but I don't think any of their manga have had English language releases.

It frustrates me that a lot of the Tokypop stuff still hasn't been rescued - even if it's only done digitally. For example, great series like Rozen Maiden.

The following will be closing out (according to Rightstuf):
Bodacious Space Pirates - Collection 1 Blu-ray
Bodacious Space Pirates - Collection 2 Blu-ray
Fate/Stay Night - Collection 1 Blu-ray
Fate/Stay Night - Collection 2 Blu-ray
OniAi - Complete Series (S) Blu-ray/DVD Limited Edition
Psycho Pass - Complete Season 1 (Hyb) Blu-ray Premium Edition

Lutga said:
It frustrates me that a lot of the Tokypop stuff still hasn't been rescued - even if it's only done digitally. For example, great series like Rozen Maiden.

The trouble with licence rescues is that you need to be certain a market exists. Tokyopop did manage to finish complete releases of a lot of things so I can understand why those aren't being rescued. At the end it did also feel like they were spamming whatever they could get their hands on due to their deal with Kodansha having ended so perhaps what is left is unfortunately considered not viable :(

Emulsion said:
Thanks for the replys.

anime_andrew said:
Emulsion said:
Also, it's the complete series 1, so I don't get why "Box 1" is on there.

Because there's a season 2 - will look it over and figure if we can change.

Shouldn't it say "season 1" then, instead of "box 1".

I don't see a problem with 'box 1' when both seasons run into one another to make one complete series, personally. They don't even change OP/ED halfway, so if it hadn't aired with a 'split cour' pattern there wouldn't be any reason to distinguish the two.

R

NIS America have announced the home video plans for The Eccentric Family, coming to Blu-ray subtitle only in January with the same packaging treatment as Toradora!

In modern day Kyoto, humans live in the city, tengus take to the sky, and tanukis roam the earth. One such tanuki is Yasaburo, the third son of Soichiro Shimogamo, famed tanuki leader who met his end far too early at the hands of a group of humans and their year-end banquet hot pot. Yasaburo has since embraced his "fool's blood" and strives for a happy, carefree life. But between taking care of his old tengu master Akadama-sensei, avoiding the life-threatening advances of the beautiful human Benten, dealing with his dangerously stupid twin cousins, and avoiding becoming a hot pot himself in the next year-end banquet, the young tanuki has his proverbial work cut out for him!

Contains episodes 1-13 plus a full-color 64-page hardcover art book with episode guides, character info, and illustrations.

Special Features: Clean Opening and Ending, Original Japanese TV Spots, Original Japanese Trailers.

Spoken Languages: Japanese, English subtitles.

Release Date: January 6th 2015

Photos of the packaging in Overseas Thread.

Back