The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

DragonBlaze67 said:
Don't forget MVM mainly sticks to doing DVD only for most shows as well even when it's been released on Blu-ray in the USA but they usually have to rely on the Australian companies such as Hanabee to reduce production costs.
My response to that is admitting that I literately forgot that MVM existed.

Lutga said:
That actually sounds pretty cool, and a nice way to pick up five volumes in one - although I'm not sure how Fairy Tail would benefit from the larger format size apart from the obvious *ahem*

When you get above 2 volumes in a compilation it can get a bit unwieldy to read without cracking the spine, or even just to hold, I dread to think what 5 in 1 will be like.

Now if they could do what a ceratin OTHER Manga pub house won't do and release the omnibus digitaly that would be swell cause FUN to buying Five volumes of FT at 6 a piece.

NormanicGrav said:
The thing about Funimation's upcoming release for Haruhi is the video source. Season 1 has two versions. Will they use the original BD-Box that had both seasons, or the Season 1 Broadcast Order BD-Box? That is what I want to know.
Didn't someone once say that it would never be released in broadcast order again?
I still don't get the fuss about the wretched broadcast gimmick. If it weren't for fansubs no-one would even know or care...

NormanicGrav said:
The thing about Funimation's upcoming release for Haruhi is the video source. Season 1 has two versions. Will they use the original BD-Box that had both seasons, or the Season 1 Broadcast Order BD-Box? That is what I want to know.
I hope it's not the BD masters from the Season 1 Broadcast order Box. From the images you've posted here before, it looks worse than the original BD Box (Which I own).
The original BD was more of a slightly botched SD Upscale, whilst the Broadcast BD was an equally botched SD upscale that had also been over sharpened and over saturated.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
I hope it's not the BD masters from the Season 1 Broadcast order Box. From the images you've posted here before, it looks worse than the original BD Box (Which I own).
The original BD was more of a slightly botched SD Upscale, whilst the Broadcast BD was an equally botched SD upscale that had also been over sharpened and over saturated.

Maybe they'll go for option 3 and botch their own SD upscale?

I've never understood the appeal of the broadcast order either.

Shiroi Hane said:
If it weren't for fansubs no-one would even know or care...
Given that this argument potentially carries itself all the way through and up to "anime in general outside of Japan" I'm not sure what purpose it serves on such a small scale as this. ^^;

I thought the original broadcast order was quite interesting, but since the series was revised in 2009 (the area I would rather be pedantic about is calling the first run "Season 1" or anything along those lines) I agree it's obsolete now.

ilmaestro said:
I thought the original broadcast order was quite interesting, but since the series was revised in 2009 (the area I would rather be pedantic about is calling the first run "Season 1" or anything along those lines) I agree it's obsolete now.
Yeah, the 2009 episodes made the 2006 episode order redundant. Personally I would prefer any on-disc release to have all the episodes together in the 2009 order, although I wouldn't complain either way just as long as it's Haruhi on BluRay :p

Question from Manga UK's Facebook wall: So I've seen news that JoJo's Bizzare Adventure season 1 is finally getting a western release over in the US so I was wondering if you were thinking of picking it up and releasing it over here

Jerome Mazandarani: Yes we are but unfortunately Warner Bros Japan has made no decisions about releasing JoJos in the UK as of yet.

It's certainly odd re. Jojos - I mean, on one hand considering Warner is a global company you'd think they'd just port the release to the UK straight off the bat. But tbh, looking at the US release (DVD only, and rubbish cover art), I almost think we'd be better off waiting.

Dannielle said:
Crunchyroll have added Amagi Brilliant Park, sadly, us in the UK can't view it due to licensing restrictions.. : http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... to-catalog

EDIT: As noticed in MVM's thread, Amazon have leaked a couple of announcements : http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?key ... -desc-rank

Looks like they added a price and date for Love Live now. Glad to see it's coming soon, 27th of July, but almost £40 for a DVD is pushing it a bit IMO. Also, the description says Japanese audio only which, if true, is also a little disappointing considering they announced a dub.

Regarding All the Anime releases, "The first season of Tokyo Ghoul will be released uncensored, and the Collector's Edition will contain a hard-cover book." Source

IncendiaryLemon said:
Dannielle said:
Crunchyroll have added Amagi Brilliant Park, sadly, us in the UK can't view it due to licensing restrictions.. : http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... to-catalog

EDIT: As noticed in MVM's thread, Amazon have leaked a couple of announcements : http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?key ... -desc-rank

Looks like they added a price and date for Love Live now. Glad to see it's coming soon, 27th of July, but almost £40 for a DVD is pushing it a bit IMO. Also, the description says Japanese audio only which, if true, is also a little disappointing considering they announced a dub.
That's because MVM would have to get their masters from the Australian distributor, and they only have a sub only version since the dub hasn't even been done since NISA is doing a third print run of the season 1 PE before doing the SE version which would have the dub.

demonix said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Dannielle said:

That's because MVM would have to get their masters from the Australian distributor, and they only have a sub only version since the dub hasn't even been done since NISA is doing a third print run of the season 1 PE before doing the SE version which would have the dub.

Kind of makes me wish they'd wait a bit and see if they could release a dual audio blu ray down the line. I mean, like JoJo, a DVD release is better than no release, but it seems a little silly to release what is soon going to be a bit of an obsolete edition. Maybe they'll do what Manga did with Blue Exorcist and release a 'Definitive Edition' or something later on.

Yowanda-san said:
To be fair, it's probably for the best. Would you honestly trust anyone else to play Nico-Nico? Also, to be fair, it's not like the NISA release will be much cheaper presumably and especially as a hot product, I think £40 is pretty reasonable. I mean, paying £15-20 for a season set seems a little cheap - though this issue has already been debated elsewhere, so I don't really think adding my opinion changes much at this point. I suppose anime is only worth as much as the value you put into the series itself.
I agree there, the Japanese probably will be better, it's more just out of curiosity that I want to hear the dub.

In regards to the price, I'm just comparing the price to others on the market. I'd never say a show is too cheap, if Anime got much more expensive, I wouldn't be able to buy it at all, or at least a lot less frequently. Normally a 13 episode show runs anywhere from £20-£30 on DVD. I'd say £40 would be okay on Blu Ray. I'm think I'm going to hold judgement on the price a bit, If its a CE release with an artbox or something, then I'd probably say it's a decent price.

Back