The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

You'd think the goto lesson of Blue Exorcist is "Don't release your show like the first release of Blue Exorcist if your endgane is not Bankruptcy" and not "do that and try to sell the downgraded show for Blu Ray prices sans dub."

£40 for a sub only dvd set is madness, regardless of what fealies they clog my shelfs with.

st_owly said:
It could well be that the price is just a placeholder, considering MVM haven't actually said anything yet.
MVM have confirmed the £39.99 RRP on Twitter. It is worth noting though that as that's RRP, you'll likely only be expected to pay that in brick-and-mortar stores like Forbidden Planet and HMV. It will likely be anywhere from £5-10 cheaper online.

I think I'll personally wait for the blu-ray though. Not because of an English dub, but because of the HD-ness.

I think they've shot them self in the foot a little with this release. I can't expect they'll sell a ton when they announced a better version on the same day. According to UKA, the dual audio blu ray will also be a collector's box, so it hasn't even got that going for it.

I see MVM licensed So I Can't Play H but not until next year, does that mean they might included the bonus episode that came out months after the original Japanese airing which was not on the Sentai DVD/BD release?

Invisible Crane said:
I see MVM licensed So I Can't Play H but not until next year, does that mean they might included the bonus episode that came out months after the original Japanese airing which was not on the Sentai DVD/BD release?

Depends on who they are working with I'd say. If it's direct from Sentai I'd say no, unless Sentai suddenly re-release the series for 1 episode, If they are teaming up with an Australian company they are known to sub stuff so it's a possibility.

Just had a thought. We know Noragami has been licensed as it's popped up on Amazon but no mention of it at the Expo, Is it a Manga or Animatsu license? The uncertainty bothers me more than it probably should.

Dannielle said:
Just had a thought. We know Noragami has been licensed as it's popped up on Amazon but no mention of it at the Expo, Is it a Manga or Animatsu license? The uncertainty bothers me more than it probably should.
Going by what Jerome said yesterday, I believe that Animatsu are handling the licensing whilst Manga are acting exclusively as their distributor. The only titles which were announced under the Manga label are continuations of older titles.
That said, I don't think anyone really knows what's going on there at the moment.

Dannielle said:
It seems the UK release of Love Live is the NISA version going by this : http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/prod ... =59&page=3

Nearly. MVM will be following the exact same version that Madman are putting out, though judging by the extra contents I guess we can assume they'll be using the same physical contents as the NIS version.

U's Music Scrapbook
Collector's slipcase
Limited Edition Weiss Schwarz Trading Card
Unique Love Live! School Idol Festival mobile game special limited card code
Clean Opening and Ending
Clean Episode 1 Ending
Clean Episode 13 Ending
Japanese Trailers
Japanese TV Spots

NormanicGrav said:
Dannielle said:
It seems the UK release of Love Live is the NISA version going by this : http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/prod ... =59&page=3

Nearly. MVM will be following the exact same version that Madman are putting out, though judging by the extra contents I guess we can assume they'll be using the same physical contents as the NIS version.

U's Music Scrapbook
Collector's slipcase
Limited Edition Weiss Schwarz Trading Card
Unique Love Live! School Idol Festival mobile game special limited card code
Clean Opening and Ending
Clean Episode 1 Ending
Clean Episode 13 Ending
Japanese Trailers
Japanese TV Spots

Holy ****, Love Live getting rated M? My sides are in orbit. Nozomi boob grabs aside, the show is the most PG Anime I think I've seen.

Anyway, looking at the release, it's getting harder and harder for me to not buy the DVD despite also wanting the blu ray next year...

Also noticed that on the MVM Site it only costs £30, not £40. Much more reasonable IMO.

Hmmmm. Given I've already got the NIS premium edition, I'm tempted to sell that and buy the UK edition, or keep it and buy the UK DVDs. Decisions decisions.

Dannielle said:
That is only a placeholder image since if you really have a good hard look at the image, you can see that it's just of the US version since the disc 1 you can see there is a blu-ray.

Also all the information there is just a copy and paste from the US version so don't be expecting any hardcover scrapbook.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Holy ****, Love Live getting rated M? My sides are in orbit. Nozomi boob grabs aside, the show is the most PG Anime I think I've seen.
"M" is not the same as "MA15+", it simply means Mature - recommended for over 15 but not restricted. Australia don't have a 12 rating.

Films and computer games classified M (Mature) contain content of a moderate impact and are recommended for teenagers aged 15 years and over.

Children under 15 may legally access this material because it is an advisory category. However, M classified films and computer games may include classifiable elements such as violence and nudity of moderate impact that are not recommended for children under 15 years.

Still, I don't think Love Live even justifies a 12 rating TBH. Although, to be fair, I'm no expert on where they draw the lines in Australia, or even here for the BBFC. One of the discs for K-On Season 2 is rated 12 despite the rest being PG (One is even U I think) and I could never fathom why. The most I could get out of the BBFC site was 'Mild Discriminatory Language' but I couldn't actually pinpoint where it was in the episodes on that disc.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Still, I don't think Love Live even justifies a 12 rating TBH. Although, to be fair, I'm no expert on where they draw the lines in Australia, or even here for the BBFC. One of the discs for K-On Season 2 is rated 12 despite the rest being PG (One is even U I think) and I could never fathom why. The most I could get out of the BBFC site was 'Mild Discriminatory Language' but I couldn't actually pinpoint where it was in the episodes on that disc.

I think there a couple uses of the word "spaz", which is acceptable in the U.S. but isn't here.

It's also worth noting that I actually contacted the BBFC about why the K-ON! movie in particular was given a 12 certificate and was told that it was solely due to Azusa's misconception throughout a hefty chunk of the movie that Yui had "ulterior motives", with the final scene in their hotel room being the biggest cause. So with that in mind, having admittedly only watched the first 10 episodes of Love Live!, I can easily see it earning a 12 certificate, given Nozomi's rather hands-on approach to things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshawott said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

I think there a couple uses of the word "spaz", which is acceptable in the U.S. but isn't here.

It's also worth noting that I actually contacted the BBFC about why the K-ON! movie in particular was given a 12 certificate and was told that it was solely due to Azusa's misconception throughout a hefty chunk of the movie that Yui had "ulterior motives", with the final scene in their hotel room being the biggest cause. So with that in mind, having admittedly only watched the first 10 episodes of Love Live!, I can easily see it earning a 12 certificate, given Nozomi's rather hands-on approach to things.

That reminds me of ADV's old Najica Blitz Tactics DVDs where the English VAs use the word 'retarded' quite a few times in the commentary track.

A sign of the times or just differing cultural norms?

Joshawott said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

I guess you're right. I always thought it was the amount of said content rather than just having it. Kind of how you can have one F-bomb in a 12 and still get away with it but any more would have it rated higher. Since Nozomi's 'teasing' only happens once or twice IIRC I thought they might get away with it. I'm no expert, you're probably correct.

Back