The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

It's a bit unfortunate that Animanga are releasing Index/Railgun as a complete BD after Funimation. Funi's releases are dirt cheap (something like £21 per complete set for BD+DVD) yet Animanga's sets will probably end up more around the £35-40 mark. Not expensive by any means considering the episode count, but still unfortunate IMO. If they can by some miracle do something nice for the sets I may double dip though. I'd also double dip on Knights of Sidonia if they actually did an encode from the Japanese BD masters, rather than doing what Sentai appear to have done and dumped Netflix's masters on the discs.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Oh boy, those Manga/Animatsu prices better come down. Jesus Christ. Those are some terrifyingly high SRRPs.
Key phrase there, SRP. It won't be the full SRP. Amazon are generally pretty good when it comes to price when you pre-order, it's afterwards that prices go up and tend to stay that way.

Yeah, they'll go down. It's best to order now as the cheapest it dips sticks to your order (unless it's done by mistake. I'm still shocked T&B: The Rising wasn't cancelled after going down to a tenner) :)

The schedule looks all sorts of crazy, this is without the expected Baccano, 009:Cyborg & FMP. Yikes.

Dannielle said:
Pre-Orders up for a mix of Anime Ltd, Manga & Animatsu titles on Amazon, bout to add em to the schedule.

Manga/Animatsu : http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_dat ... -desc-rank
Anime Ltd : http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_dat ... -desc-rank

Nice to see some Anime Limited titles pop up, I'll be going after 009 Re:Cyborg 3D, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya and Psychic School Wars (and Fuse: Memoirs of a Huntress once that pops up). The rest I'm honestly not interested in (particularly because the US version is cheaper* and more to my liking. *Then again the Aniplex sets aren't cheaper but I still prefer them for pretty much the same reason that Mangaranga does plus the OSTs).

With Knights of Sidonia's collector's edition it looks like a simple Manga UK Deluxe Edition. It's very similar to Freedom where it's a combo pack with postcards and sticker that can easily fit in one case and with a slipcover. Nothing special unless they surprise me. As for Madoka Magica Part 1 & 2, the description states rigid artbox so I'm curious to see what the images are but I'll assume it's a combination between Aniplex USA and Animatsu's Nadia/older Funimation style Blu-ray sets (slipcase with two thin Blu-ray cases). With Railgun and Index, we already know they'll be exactly the same as the Funimation sets as Jerome stated it's the same on-disc content and NTSC DVDs, which is a plus however the pricing can be an issue (at the moment it's SRP price but I'll expect it to appear normally at around £29.99-34.99 for Blu-ray once Amazon does it's usual discounts). Another thing to point out (which I assume is accurate, correct me on this) is that the Sentai titles Animatsu acquired will be exactly the same in terms of audio/video, so Knights of Sidonia will have the same English credits etc (Jerome did state it's using the Sentai masters at the panel).

As for anything else, honestly these are great titles for anime fans who just want the episodes and a nice small addition to put on the shelf.

Illiya-chan. <3

I also guess I need Index s.1, through a series of unfortunate events I still don't own that on BD.

Lutga said:
That reminds me of ADV's old Najica Blitz Tactics DVDs where the English VAs use the word 'retarded' quite a few times in the commentary track.

A sign of the times or just differing cultural norms?
"Spaz" specifically just has an historical cultural difference between the States and here - in the past it has often been used in US TV shows resulting in curious reactions once those shows air over here. Your example sounds more like a bit of both though, with the added factor that I'm pretty sure it would be hard to get into "broadcast mode" when you're doing a commentary track like that, and casual banter is far more likely to slip in.

Anybody else notice the sword art release? (gotta be an Amazon mistake)
Standard Blu ray - £19.99
Collector's Blu ray - £34.99 part 1 of 5

Jon O Fun said:

I'm sure the £19.99 is the DVD. Also worried about the 5 part thing too :)

I've already got a few items pre-ordered from many months (or over a year in the case of 009 Re:Cyborg) but have just ordered these:
SAO II Volume 1 Blu-Ray
Tokyo Ghoul Season 1 Blu-Ray
Prism Illiya Blu-Ray
Psychic School Wars Blu-Ray
Knights of Sidonia Season 1 Blu-Ray
Madoka Movies 1, 2, 3 Blu-Ray
Captain Earth Part 1 and 2 Blu-Ray
No Game No Life Blu-Ray
A Lull In the Sea Blu-Ray
Noragami Season 1 Blu-Ray

It would have been nice to be able to buy other things during Q3, like FOOD, but that will have to wait. A great list of titles being released the latter half of this year in the UK.

Prism Illiya has a high RRP for only one cour. Unless it's both seasons?
It would be really nice to have the Psychic School Wars novel too, but think that's

Elaniel said:
Jon O Fun said:

I'm sure the £19.99 is the DVD. Also worried about the 5 part thing too :)

Fear not - the £19.99 is DVD and a typo, the Part 5 is a mystery to me - we're doing it over 4 parts. It'll update later this week likely so fear not!

For Illiya - it matches Blood Lad Prices as we've a cool volume of material to work with so Kat's working on some cool concepts for it just now on that frontier :)!

AP

I've added a fair few of those AL listings to my basket so they're ready to order once the specs are published. There's quite a lot coming out!

R

Sword art online s2 bluray is £35 for 7 episodes? I can't justify paying that because I've never cared much about the kitsch that comes with collectors editions and that would total £140 on 1 season. It'd have to be the best anime ever for me to shell out that kind of money. Guess I'll get to watching it instead of blind buying it.

Will there be a standard edition down the line?

serpantino said:
Sword art online s2 bluray is £35 for 7 episodes? I can't justify paying that because I've never cared much about the kitsch that comes with collectors editions and that would total £140 on 1 season. It'd have to be the best anime ever for me to shell out that kind of money. Guess I'll get to watching it instead of blind buying it.

Will there be a standard edition down the line?

Isn't £35 is the RRP, this will likely get discounted to £25 on amazon and the like, and thus be in line with the "standard" editions released by Manga UK.

As I understand it, volume 1 of SAO2 might also be a little more expensive than the subsequent sets since it will include the box (which obviously isn't needed for each individual volume). So factor that in when you estimate the total price :)

R

Wow... 8 Anime Blu-Rays currently on pre-order and 29 on the wishlist to pre-order. That's a lot. Be interesting to see a Quarter (of each year) vs Number of UK Anime Blu-Rays released. I've got a feeling that particular line chart is now soaring.

Just added over £300 quid worth of anime to my basket, including shows I had no interest in buying which are:

Must Buys:

Sword Art Online 2
Tokyo Ghoul Season 1
Psychic School Wars
Prism Illya

No previous interest

Terraformers - Cheap price
Knights of SIdonia - Might cancel this if the Nadia LE release isn't very good
Madoka Movies - Why the hell not!

Already ordered A Lull in the Sea and Nadia, as well as the other releases from Anime Limited, so the next few months are pretty hectic and expensive!

Well, among all the blu-ray excitement, I see the Bleach mystery is solved. They've Added Series 15 Part 2 to the end of June, and kept Series 16 Part 1 in July and Part 2 in September, so that means (barring the almost inevitable delay of at least one if not more of these sets given past experiences, although they are on a hot streak of no delays at the moment!) they will be done with Bleach sets by September. Well, I assume they'll be the complete Series 15 and 16 out later, but still... it's been a long ride with the series for Manga, I'm glad they managed to get the whole series out...

Likewise - that was one pretty mental Amazon order. The total price made me gulp a bit.

But yeah, it'll feel weird when Bleach is finished - though I imagine it hardly sells as well for them as it used to. I still think they should give the show a Hunter x Hunter style reboot it and re-do it cutting out all the filler and with better quality animation.

I wonder what's happening with Yu-Gi-Oh? We're still only two sets into the first series, out of a possible five, I think?

Likewise, a shame not to see the second series of Magi from Kaze - although that's only just come out in the US, hasn't it?

Really massive list of series to buy. I'll probably hold off ordering, until I get more details for some of the sets. A lot of wallets are going to take a hit over the next couple of months. :lol:

Jatz said:
Really massive list of series to buy. I'll probably hold off ordering, until I get more details for some of the sets. A lot of wallets are going to take a hit over the next couple of months. :lol:

I order everything as soon as it's up to take advantage of their pre-order price guarantee. If I waited closer to the date before ordering then I may miss that one day where everything drops to say 50% :eek:

Back