The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

LWA Production report: Blu-ray is ready!
Hello everyone! Sorry for being silent since our premiere event at Anime Expo, and of course the tremendous delay on the rewards... However, we are making progress and I’ve got several exciting news to share with all of our backers today!

For those who attended our premiere event may already know, but it was our first time to actually view the completed film at the event as well. Yes… that’s how badly the premiere of the Little Witch Academia the Enchanted Parade was rushed. Since we felt that the film was not completed to our standard, we went on and reworked/patched up on quite the number of scenes that caught our attention!

So, what does that mean…?
The physical copy of the LWA will be a more complete version of the film, and we hope to provide a stunning presentation for both who have seen the premiere version and those who have not!

With the film finished, we are finally able to move on with preparing the rewards for our backers. I believe the most anticipated reward is the Blu-ray of the actual film, and I snapped a couple of pictures for our backers!
nX1O9sk.jpg

tugBKwd.jpg

tbLm7Lb.jpg

ofBEjMB.jpg

Alongside with our BD, the art book has been finished as well! With the majority of our physical rewards ready, we are making preparation to ship our physical rewards! However, we still have to pack these wonderful items and that may take some time… Once we have a clear estimate on the delivery dates on both physical and digital awards we will make another announcement via our update page on Kickstarter so please do stay in touch!
Link

Yes, it's listed as being from Warner Home Video, so it probably won't be completely buggered up either...

Anybody know if Warner's TV DVD releases are NTSC or PAL, the only TV DVD I have of theirs is Fringe Season 1 and it doesn't say which spec it's in.

It does surprise me that Warner Bros. will give blu-ray releases to J.J. Abrams shows that have been cancelled after their first season, yet they don't even trust JoJo's to sell 1000 copies in the US...

The good news is that Warner Bros. has been known to double dip in the past if sales are high enough. So maybe if season 1 sells well enough on DVD, they'll go back and do a seasons 1 and 2 blu-ray bundle. (They did this with Big Bang Theory, so it isn't unprecedented.)

Edit: It's categorized as a children's DVD on Amazon, there's going to some really baffled parents. :mrgreen:

ConanThe3rd said:
Buzz201 said:
Confirmed less than 24 hours, and JoJo has already been pushed back...

It's now scheduled for October 5th, a week later than the previous September 28th date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jojos-Bizarre-A ... ords=anime
Oh come on, WB, Pick up your delay gime. A week? Pah, that's child's play. If that's your best delay you might as well release it now.

I wonder if this is Warner getting into the anime spirit. Maybe they'll start picking up other Warner Bros. Japan titles?

Buzz201 said:
It does surprise me that Warner Bros. will give blu-ray releases to J.J. Abrams shows that have been cancelled after their first season, yet they don't even trust JoJo's to sell 1000 copies in the US...
Firefly was cancelled before it even finished, and I expect has sold more copies than any any ever will.
The orange is the one you have to peel.

Buzz201 said:
I wonder if this is Warner getting into the anime spirit. Maybe they'll start picking up other Warner Bros. Japan titles?
They've already released The Animatrix, Supernatural and Appleseed Ex Machina etc.

Shiroi Hane said:
Buzz201 said:
Firefly was cancelled before it even finished, and I expect has sold more copies than any any ever will.
The orange is the one you have to peel.

I was referring to Alcatraz, which lacks the cult appeal of Firefly. Also, Firefly was 20th Century Fox, with Serenity being distributed by Universal, so is quite irrelevant.

Is that last line supposed to be a Firefly reference? Because I'm a fan (though probably not quite Browncoat level), and I'm baffled...

Shiroi Hane said:
Buzz201 said:
They've already released The Animatrix, Supernatural and Appleseed Ex Machina etc.

I wasn't being serious, but I personally don't really think The Animatrix and Supernatural count, and if you're including anything that has portions animated by a Japanese studio, you can add Black Dynamite to the list (it's second season titles were animated by Trigger).

Apparently a new UK web station playing Japanese music will be launched in a little over a week.

http://animeradio.uk/

Do we think this is actually a real 100% legit entity or just somebody with an overactive imagination? I streetviewed their address, it seems to be a residential property, but that doesn't neccesarily preclude the possibility it's legit.

Buzz201 said:
I was referring to Alcatraz, which lacks the cult appeal of Firefly. Also, Firefly was 20th Century Fox, with Serenity being distributed by Universal, so is quite irrelevant.

Is that last line supposed to be a Firefly reference? Because I'm a fan (though probably not quite Browncoat level), and I'm baffled...
Comparing the prospects of an anime with any US TV show, even a cancelled one, is like comparing apples with oranges.

Jojos is a drop in the ocean to Warner in the West - it and Firefly aren't even on the sale scale. Going by the packaging and how it's been categorised on Amazon I suspect they just think it's a kids show.

That Anime Radio looks interesting - I imagine it'll just be online only as opposed to DAB/FM, but would be exciting if proved otherwise. They seem legit - they have the correct licenses in place with PPL and PRS (royalty collection companies)

Shiroi Hane said:
Comparing the prospects of an anime with any US TV show, even a cancelled one, is like comparing apples with oranges.

I wouldn't be so sure, JoJo is a well-received cult hit, that has been talked about a lot recently due to Stardust Crusaders - Battle in Egypt (or Egypt Arc or whatever the hell else they're calling it now), and that is fairly reasonably priced and doesn't look "too anime". It seems like it's being treated as a US series or DTV Scbooby-Doo...

If Warner Bros. can match the US disc's spec exactly, I think it could match some of the poorer selling US series. If it's a 1-disc sub-only release as currently indicated, it doesn't stand a chance. (I personally think people, especially casuals, will be slightly flexible on the PAL/NTSC thing, but maybe I'm mistaken.)

The 1 disc thing must be a mistake, right? I might believe it at a push if it was 12 episodes - but a whole two cour series, no way? Even the case looks like it's built to house 4 discs.

I definitely think it's interesting that Warner is handling it 'as it were any other TV show' - but that comes with pros and cons, they're obviously not as used to dealing with anime, and that's probably reflected in the crappy cover art and lack of any communication about the release. The pros are the release is dirt cheap, and maybe closer to release date they might do some marketing for it - we'll have to see.

At this point, the only thing that'd really mark it out is if UK supermarkets stocked it, as that'd be a serious boost to sales. But at this point, I highly doubt it.

Back