The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

black1blade said:
The finale is good though ;_;.

The film or episode 22? Because I don't see how it can be, the show's big dramatic fight has already happened, the villains big final plan has already seemingly been executed, and as I said, the one character I really liked, Kagari, is dead.

It's a shame, because I really really want to like it, I just don't, but on the plus side, EGOIST's Namae no nai Kaibutsu is a great song, that I never would have heard if it wasn't for Psycho-Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzz201 said:
black1blade said:
The finale is good though ;_;.

The film or episode 22? Because I don't see how it can be, the show's big dramatic fight has already happened, the villains big final plan has already seemingly been executed, and as I said, the one character I really liked, Kagari, is dead.

It's a shame, because I really really want to like it, I just don't, but on the plus side, EGOIST's Namae no nai Kaibutsu is a great song, that I never would have heard if it wasn't for Psycho-Pass.
22 is a good finale. Fairly sure there are still twists and turns to go.

To try and get this back on topic, the manga adaptation of 009 Re:cyborg will end in September. Anime Ltd. will release the 009: Recyborg film on 3D blu-ray on the 14th of September. Don't know if the manga's been picked up for English release.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ber/.92297

black1blade said:
22 is a good finale. Fairly sure there are still twists and turns to go.

I don't doubt there are still twists, but episode 16 is a significant momentum killer and the only other character I liked, Tomomi Masaoka, isn't given enough material to make it worth it for me.

Buzz201 said:
The trouble I have is that none of the characters are engaging enough, and most of them are quite stupid.

This is exactly the problem I had with Psycho Pass. It felt like the series was desperate to spell out everything that was going on, to the point where half the cast just come across as complete numpties.

Manga fans can now pick up Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump for 69p an issue from ComiXology. This is the approximately the same price as Viz's site, but I'm more inclined to trust Amazon not to do a disappearing act.

As an aside, Shonenjump.com (or shonenjump.viz.com) is now offering titles that aren't available digitally elsewhere in the UK, such as Seraph of the End and World Trigger (a title which Viz UK previously told me they didn't have digital rights to). Anyone know if they can be purchased within the UK or not?

Edit: According to the reply I just got on twitter they should all be purchasable from the UK.

Sounds like a illegal anime site (Kissanime) went offline due to video host issues. I noticed the video host was using YouTube tech so it's either a site using that type of player or YouTube themselves actually got them via Content ID.
We have had trouble with our video host, we will open the site after migrating the site to new video host. It could take 15 days ~ 1 month. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Looking on twitter, apparently people are 'struggling' to find alternatives to watch anime online. Seriously? Have they not heard of Crunchyroll and Viewster?

NormanicGrav said:
Looking on twitter, apparently people are 'struggling' to find alternatives to watch anime online. Seriously? Have they not heard of Crunchyroll and Viewster?

Personally I'm more surprised at the dislike for Psycho Pass in this thread.

Bloody excellent little show in my opinion.

If I understand correctly they were using google drive to host. That would mean YouTube couldn't identify them since it wouldn't be on their system. Not sure what problems they might be having. Maybe they got some kind of legal threat?

IncendiaryLemon said:
If I understand correctly they were using google drive to host. That would mean YouTube couldn't identify them since it wouldn't be on their system. Not sure what problems they might be having. Maybe they got some kind of legal threat?

That's a good point, I haven't thought of that at all. Well now I know. :thumb:

NormanicGrav said:
I just searched "Anime Online" in google to see what comes up. The aforementioned site is the forth result, whereas the first legal option to show up is Funimation.com on the bottom of page 3. Daisuki and NISA's store are on page 7 whilst Animax is on page 10. CR doesn't show up at all in the first 10 pages.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
I just searched "Anime Online" in google to see what comes up. The aforementioned site is the forth result, whereas the first legal option to show up is Funimation.com on the bottom of page 3. Daisuki and NISA's store are on page 7 whilst Animax is on page 10. CR doesn't show up at all in the first 10 pages.

I feel that is a big problem. I wonder if there's a way for Google to actually remove those listings or promote the legal versions to the top first page? I know it won't happen but if they did it, it could make a difference.

EDIT: Crunchyroll appeared at the very bottom of Page 1. So that's something.

NormanicGrav said:
I feel that is a big problem. I wonder if there's a way for Google to actually remove those listings or promote the legal versions to the top first page? I know it won't happen but if they did it, it could make a difference.

EDIT: Crunchyroll appeared at the very bottom of Page 1. So that's something.

Google will do it if they receive a DCMA request, but no Japanese company has the resources to scour the internet for that many links, and it's debatable as to whether Crunchyroll or FUNimation (or any western company) has the power to issue DCMA requests on their behalf. I believe, but don't quote me on this, in past legal action FUNi and CR issued cease and desist notices claiming they are the only party with the legal right to produce and distribute a subtitled version of the work, but if the sites aren't based in the US, they can't pull a trick like that.

They won't alter the results unless they legally have to though, because they are of the opinion that once they start altering results they don't have to for one party, they'll open the floodgates and have to do it for everybody.

Good in regards to that illegal streaming site. I've had a few friends recommend it to me and others. I've linked them the legal sites but they don't want any of it.

Maybe that site going down will kick start people into using more legal methods. I can understand watching a show in less than stellar ways if there's no legal stream in the UK but otherwise, you have no excuse other than being too young to have your own bank and parents who aren't willing to let you use theirs.
Or being real skint and on very little money to even eat. I can get that.

Dannielle said:
Good in regards to that illegal streaming site. I've had a few friends recommend it to me and others. I've linked them the legal sites but they don't want any of it.

Maybe that site going down will kick start people into using more legal methods. I can understand watching a show in less than stellar ways if there's no legal stream in the UK but otherwise, you have no excuse other than being too young to have your own bank and parents who aren't willing to let you use theirs.
Erm, Crunchyroll has a free option, and even if you're poor and can't handle delays you might be able to use another country's legal option and give them your money that way. If you know how to obtain a foreign IP, there's plenty of legal ways of watching Aniplex shows for free the day they air, so there's no real excuse at all. (Some consider using a foreign IP immoral though.)

Is there still a large contingent of anime viewers that streams pirate copies - in 2015? I was doing that six years ago, and I doubt the quality has all that much improved. BDrips all the way, yo!

Buzz201 said:
Dannielle said:

Erm, Crunchyroll has a free option, and even if you're poor and can't handle delays you might be able to use another country's legal option and give them your money that way. If you know how to obtain a foreign IP, there's plenty of legal ways of watching Aniplex shows for free the day they air, so there's no real excuse at all. (Some consider using a foreign IP immoral though.)

Still no good, at least for the people I've spoken too. They just seemed to have settled for what they know best and prefer the content. It's free, easy & fast, that's enough for them.

Trust me, I have tried to talk to them about these sites but I can't seem to get through to them, they don't see it as morally wrong (which is what stopped me) or seem to care about the effect it has on the industry.

Dannielle said:
Still no good, at least for the people I've spoken too. They just seemed to have settled for what they know best and prefer the content. It's free, easy & fast, that's enough for them.

Trust me, I have tried to talk to them about these sites but I can't seem to get through to them, they don't see it as morally wrong (which is what stopped me) or seem to care about the effect it has on the industry.

That's a same, but what can you do? You can't make them use Crunchyroll...

My particular least favourite anti-CR argument is one that says because Crunchryoll have to pay for hosting and staff, not all of the money they get goes to the creators, and since the creators only get a bit of money you may as well pirate. That argument does my actual nut in. It's so dumb and so ridiculous, that I genuinely have no clue how to deal with people like that.

Part of me wonders how people that stupid can actually read anything to enjoy anime in the first place...

Madman are set to release Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon with the "European Masters" (no exact word on if that means Kaze or the Italian releases but frankly speaking the old DiC/ADV masters might be better than Viz's coasters at this point) starting December.

Buzz201 said:
Manga fans can now pick up Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump for 69p an issue from ComiXology. This is the approximately the same price as Viz's site, but I'm more inclined to trust Amazon not to do a disappearing act.

As an aside, Shonenjump.com (or shonenjump.viz.com) is now offering titles that aren't available digitally elsewhere in the UK, such as Seraph of the End and World Trigger (a title which Viz UK previously told me they didn't have digital rights to). Anyone know if they can be purchased within the UK or not?

Edit: According to the reply I just got on twitter they should all be purchasable from the UK.
Viz UK aren't worth the air they breathe, to be perfectly frank. That said, if Viz titles are starting to FINALY show up on Comixology over here then that's great. Might double dip on Hero Academia as I really prefere Comix over WSJ's own client.

Back