The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

The plot synopsis only covers the first 9 episodes, but the length approximately correlates with the entire series with PAL speed-up (not exactly though, it's about 5 minutes short), so I wouldn't believe the Amazon listing outright.

Just checked the US release and the back cover seems to indicate it's dubbed only - so maybe we are getting the better deal.

I feel like the safest thing to assume is that it's a straight port of the U.S. Release. Does anyone know if that included the dub? Has it even come out in the U.S. Yet as I know it got delayed there too and then the dub was released on Amazon instant video?

Lutga said:
I feel like the safest thing to assume is that it's a straight port of the U.S. Release. Does anyone know if that included the dub? Has it even come out in the U.S. Yet as I know it got delayed there too and then the dub was released on Amazon instant video?

I'd imagine it's a direct port, but PALified. We'll probably be able to tell whether it's dubbed or not from the BBFC cast listing, if it's Daisuke Ono they got the subbed version, if it's Johnny Yong Bosch they got the dub. Our Amazon listing gives the full Japanese cast, the American release doesn't list any cast.

The US release definitely has the dub, and I believe RightStuf confirmed it would also include the subbed version, but the back cover and Amazon.com listing seem to indicate it's just got a dub and dubtitles.

Except that all the release dates they have are 100% wrong for the rest of 2015 and everything else beyond that (with the exception of the first two they state are coming in January, but are being released late December and vampire hunter D which again has an incorrect release date) has been pulled out of their backsides since even rightstuf doesn't have them listed and most likely haven't even been announced by DH yet.

The Scotland Loves Anime line-up was revealed the other day:

Glasgow
Miss Hokusai
Empire of Corpses
The Case of Alice & Hana
Dragonball Z - Resurrection 'F'
Attack on Titan (live action)
Attack on Titan: End of the World (live action)
Boruto: Naruto the Movie

Edinburgh
Miss Hokusai
Empire of Corpses
Expelled from Paradise
The Case of Hana & Alice
Dragonball Z - Resurrection 'F'
Attack on Titan (live action)
The Last: Naruto the Movie
Boruto: Naruto the Movie
Love Live! The Movie
Madoka Magica - Film 3: Rebellion
Attack on Titan Part 1: Guren no Yumiya
Attack on Titan Part 2: Jiyuu no Tsubasa
Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie

Looks like a solid line-up. I'm especially interested in The Case of Alice & Hana, as I'm a big Shunji Iwai fan and I don't think its been licensed yet. None of his live action films, including the original Hana & Alice, have had a UK release as far as I can remember.

Does the Edinburgh line up always have so much more than the Glasgow one? I seem to remember the 2013 Glasgow line up having a lot more than that too?

I really wish I could go but I just don't see it being possible. I have pretty much no money and I'm not 18 so I might not be able to watch a few of the films. But new GITS and psycho pass, I really want to see both ;_;. I'm sure there will be other better years. but still :(. I hope everyone who goes enjoys the films a lot!

black1blade said:
I really wish I could go but I just don't see it being possible. I have pretty much no money and I'm not 18 so I might not be able to watch a few of the films. But new GITS and psycho pass, I really want to see both ;_;. I'm sure there will be other better years. but still :(. I hope everyone who goes enjoys the films a lot!

I don't know, but they not go through the local council rather than the BBFC*? You may not have to be 18.

*Legally local councils can overturn and create theatrical decisions, so many festivals just apply to the local council for a licence to show a certain film. Although this may not always work, as FrightFest discovered when their local council deferred their decision on A Serbian Film to the BBFC.

Well psycho pass got r-15 in Japan but after having seen it I think bbfc will probably fetch it an 18. Also I doubt I'm going to go to Scotland before I'm 18 anyway so it isn't really a problem. It would be a nice reward say if I get into a good uni XD.

black1blade said:
Well psycho pass got r-15 in Japan but after having seen it I think bbfc will probably fetch it an 18. Also I doubt I'm going to go to Scotland before I'm 18 anyway so it isn't really a problem. It would be a nice reward say if I get into a good uni XD.

Nothing in what I've seen of Psycho-Pass seemed 18 level to me.

Not that I particularly like the series - great design, great concept, poor writing.

black1blade said:
Having literally just finished watching the Psycho Pass movie, it's definitely pretty brutal with gore, but nothing I'd consider 18 worthy.

Yeah, we westerns are fine with any level of gratuitous violence but any sex and it's all like nope. Thing is, I didn't feel like most of the kara no kyoukai movies had 18 worthy stuff (apart from the 3rd one obviously and maybe 7).

black1blade said:
No the movie is really violent but it may clear as a high 15 I guess. I quite liked the writing in the right season.

The level of violence isn't necessarily the problem, if it's highly frequent, sadistic and/or sexualised, then it might go to an 18, but "very violent" doesn't automatically give it an 18.

The trouble I have is that none of the characters are engaging enough, and most of them are quite stupid. Akane is supposed to be a good detective, yet all she does throughout the entire thing is ask men to give her the answers. Nobody on that entire team realises the bad guys are working to spread dissent towards the Sybil system, despite it being really really obvious.

I'm currently paused about 2 thirds of the way through the first season, because the show just shot it's load far too early and killed off my favourite character in the process. I'm not sure I can be arsed enough to continue...

black1blade said:
Yeah, we westerns are fine with any level of gratuitous violence but any sex and it's all like nope. Thing is, I didn't feel like most of the kara no kyoukai movies had 18 worthy stuff (apart from the 3rd one obviously and maybe 7).

I felt Movie 5 was somewhat worthy for a 18 in some scenes. Like for instance when Cornelius was messing around with Touko's decapitated head in front of Mikiya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back