The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

ConanThe3rd said:
The show promises me a Colossal Doughnut, I will bloody well get that Colossal Doughnut and I will bring about the attack of the 50 foot eyesores to do so.

But, to bring this back on topic, what you will not be getting is a character deliberately destroying a floodwall during a torrential rainstorm in order to flood an area. As that's what Toei are apparently desperately trying to avoid airing, it looks like they've changed the remainder of the arc to avoid that scene and as a result couldn't get this episode done in time...

When you're being BTFO in your own premise by GATE, which has a ton of issues, you need to examine yourself and GTFO of the Danger Room.
They aren't dragons, they're "neighbors". And GATE was just boring, World Trigger has managed to avoid that so far...

britguy said:
It doesn't just happen in japan and it isn't exclusive to anime. Tv channels/film studios pull episodes or films that coincide with major news incidents just as it may ne insensitive or in poor taste at that very time. I can't recall specific examples off the top of my head, but it happens.

It'll be aired soon enough, it's just people looking at and thinking "is now really the right time yo show this" and will it look bad if we air it as we initially wanted?
I remember when Channel 4 showed the "A Streetcar Named Marge" episode of The Simpsons just after the New Orleans hurricane. There's a song about New Orleans in the episode and it's not very flattering. I laughed but I guess I can understand why some people might have been upset (especially if they were watching the show to cheer themselves up).

Still, I think this sort of thing comes under the "censorship" heading and thus I'm probably going to have be against it. I think a better solution might be to simply add a warning before the show (I guess that could cause spoiler problems, but that's probably still the best option and delaying it is likely to give the same spoilers anyway).

Realistically, most shows are planned far enough in advance that it wouldn't be fair to hold them responsible if their content coincidentally happens to reflect things happening in the real world when they're shown. Still, I guess that relies on expecting people to be reasonable and that might be a bit of an ask (which is kind of sad in itself).

A 'forbidden sequel' to the live-action Death Note films released a decade ago has been announced for 2016.
The tentatively titled "Death Note 2016" film will be a "forbidden sequel" to the two earlier live-action Death Note films, 2006's Death Note and Death Note: The Last Name. In the present-day information society beset by cyberterrorism, a new charismatic figure, who inherited the DNA of Light (previously played Tatsuya Fujiwara) and L (Ken'ichi Matsuyama), emerges. The successor of the two geniuses will wage a war over a new Death Note. The film will shoot in overseas locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smeelia said:
I remember when Channel 4 showed the "A Streetcar Named Marge" episode of The Simpsons just after the New Orleans hurricane. There's a song about New Orleans in the episode and it's not very flattering. I laughed but I guess I can understand why some people might have been upset (especially if they were watching the show to cheer themselves up).

Still, I think this sort of thing comes under the "censorship" heading and thus I'm probably going to have be against it. I think a better solution might be to simply add a warning before the show (I guess that could cause spoiler problems, but that's probably still the best option and delaying it is likely to give the same spoilers anyway).

Realistically, most shows are planned far enough in advance that it wouldn't be fair to hold them responsible if their content coincidentally happens to reflect things happening in the real world when they're shown. Still, I guess that relies on expecting people to be reasonable and that might be a bit of an ask (which is kind of sad in itself).

I think the biggest recent UK example, is the unfortunate scheduling of Four Lions the day after the Boston Marathon bombing. Needless to say, Film4 pulled it as soon as they found out about the incident, and it caused global headlines.

If the events are as I've seen described, I can see why Toei chose to delay the episode. Maybe having somebody deliberately causing a flood on a kid's show isn't a good idea given the context. Apparently a World Trigger episode featuring a beheading was delayed earlier in the year, after concerns it occurred a little too close to an Isis/IS/Daesh beheading.

Buzz201 said:
It's like Warner Bros. have somehow found the list of things you absolutely should not do on an anime release and done every single last of them.
No, I think Animazing still have them beat with World of Narue being dub-only and with terrible video quality in a cardboard sleeve.
While it's not quite in the same league since it was the western TV version, Cardcaptors was dub-only and didn't even have individual episode selection (IIRC you played episodes in blocks of three like they were presented on the VHS tapes)

Lutga said:
I know that Clamp have specifically stated that one of the reasons they aren't keen on finishing X is because of the 2011 earthquake.
How many years had it been on hitaus before that? ^^;

Ahh, looks like they might have been referring to the 1995 earthquake instead, but still, the quotes are quite interesting anyway:

http://jjblue1.tumblr.com/post/95863957 ... e-end-of-x

ŌKAWA: The situation right now is that, due to the graphic nature of our planned ending, getting it published in a magazine is very difficult.
MOKONA: Over the 10-odd years that we’ve been working on “X,” we’ve gone on hiatus several times, and each time, societal incidents and trends have been a major factor.
IGARASHI: The biggest ones being the Hanshin Earthquake, and the Sakakibara Incident.
ŌKAWA: When the Hanshin Earthquake hit and so many peoples’ lives were lost, there was a lot of debate, not just within the group but also with our editors, about whether or not we were going to continue using earthquakes as a motif.
NEKOI: I still remember waking up and turning on the TV, and being unable to believe what had just happened. Several people I knew perished in that quake.
ŌKAWA: We received a letter from a person residing in Kobe at the time, saying that they “couldn’t bear to read [X],” which really made us ponder our future.
MOKONA: When the Sakakibara incident occurred, the concern was regarding gruesome imagery used in the manga. Regardless of how liberal a manga magazine “ASUKA” was, the multiple beheadings we portrayed in X were going to raise flags.
ŌKAWA: We had had several discussions with the editorial staff about how perhaps we needed to make changes to the central themes in the manga and how we portrayed them, but we had still managed to gain the understanding of various people and work through them. But, we were then told that it may not be possible for our publisher to serialize the ending we had planned. If that was true, it would mean that we would have to write a different ending to the story in order to have it published. Excluding cases where the magazine we were serialized in folded, we have never quit on a series before (though we may have gone on hiatus)*, so obviously we definitely want to work on “X” until completion, but currently that’s looking very difficult. But, regardless of what form it takes, we want to write up a conclusion to the story. However, I want to make it very clear that none of what transpired is the publisher’s fault; on the contrary, we would like to express our sincere gratitude for being tolerant and willing to publish “X” for all this time. We will continue to search for solutions and hold discussions with our publisher, so I hope that you will grant us a little more time yet.

NHK-E has ordered a second 25 episode season of RINNE (RIN-NE/Kyoukai no Rinne/Rinne of the Boundary/Rinne: Circle of Reincarnation - apparently there isn't a name this series doesn't go by...) to première at some point in 2016, presumably April.

The show is very middle of the road, and not particularly well liked, but it has it's moments. I can definitely get on board for a second season.

If only somebody was actually streaming it in the UK. Crunchyroll has basically every English-language territory but us, and Viewster is streaming it (seemingly with a 9 day delay for some reason) with English subs in other European countries, so maybe they'll expand the territories like they have with other shows...

http://myanimelist.net/news/42182885

I don't think I've heard anyone in the West discussing that show (except for hardcore Takahashi fans) except to say how badly it's selling/doing.

Well the fact they sold streaming rights to two different providers, both of whom are doing English subs, and the UK still isn't streaming it, shows how much of a **** ShoPro gives about Rinne.

Edit: Actually, I can't be arsed to test it, but it seems like it may be streaming on Anime Network. When you click on an episode, it comes up with an address ending "NoFreePlayer", rather than "InvalidCountry" like other content.

Doesn't matter. It was a failed line of thinking on my part, relating to the fact Rinne is an NHK-E show (NHK-E is licence fee funded and airs little to no commercials) so has seemingly been renewed because NHK felt like it, rather than because it had any measurable success.

I like the show, but it's hard not to describe as anything but a catastrophic failure. Unless it's been hovering just off the end of the ratings charts, it's renewal is a mystery.

Shiroi Hane said:
Buzz201 said:
It's like Warner Bros. have somehow found the list of things you absolutely should not do on an anime release and done every single last of them.
No, I think Animazing still have them beat with World of Narue being dub-only and with terrible video quality in a cardboard sleeve.
While it's not quite in the same league since it was the western TV version, Cardcaptors was dub-only and didn't even have individual episode selection (IIRC you played episodes in blocks of three like they were presented on the VHS tapes)

Lutga said:
I know that Clamp have specifically stated that one of the reasons they aren't keen on finishing X is because of the 2011 earthquake.
How many years had it been on hitaus before that? ^^;
What about the S'more Entertainment release of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo which included the Japanese dub without subtitles instead opting to have the episode scripts in pdf on the discs. The funny thing is S'more refused to take responsibility for not creating subtitles by saying that they weren't provided any sub files by Toei.

More JoJo notes:

https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 5948091392
Every disc are MPEG encoded, at around 3~6Mbps w/ Dolby 2.0 48kHz @ 192Kbps #jojo S1
https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 2009038848
What's interesting is that #jojo's S1 set uses the 9-9-8 episode format. Disc 1 is all of Phantom Blood; discs 2 & 3 r Battle Tendency.
https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 3950655488
CONFIRMATION: The Jojo S1 set does dub the ep previews & show English credits after the JP ED credits & ep previews.
https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 5143105536
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure S1 English voice cast! #Jojo
CO6_cW3U8AAwjDY.png

CO6_chiUkAAcYLE.png

CO6_chcVEAAtqMc.png

CO6_cVSUsAA3vpH.png

Back