The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Warner Bros. You bloody morons.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Season 1's DVD release has SDH English subtitles.

In other words, they're dubtitles.

...dubtitles.

DUBTITLES IN 2015? WTF WARNER

There is no proper subtitle track for the Japanese dub.

Thank god the Japanese Blu-rays have PROPER English subtitles.

NormanicGrav said:

...dubtitles.

Do you have a source for this? Both Amazon and Zavvi just list plain English, with Amazon claiming it doesn't have the English dub. Why would their be dubtitles but no dub?

Edit: Just seen the picture, if the Amazon and Zavvi listings are correct are disc also includes an Italian and French option, so isn't from the same master.

Buzz201 said:
NormanicGrav said:

...dubtitles.

Do you have a source for this? Both Amazon and Zavvi just list plain English, with Amazon claiming it doesn't have the English dub. Why would their be dubtitles but no dub?

The Amazon UK description is inaccurate. Both the UK & US sets should be the same with the only difference being that UK is PAL and US is NTSC.

As for the source, the Fandom Post.

UPDATE: Huh, the Amazon UK listing now adds French and Italian subtitles.

UPDATE #2: Here's what the US version's menu looks like:

COurl4sVAAErse7.png:large
COurlTJUEAA05iM.png:large
COurlHBUcAAjRNT.png:large

NormanicGrav said:
UPDATE: Huh, the Amazon UK listing now adds French and Italian subtitles.

As is Zavvi. I've checked Amazon IT, that just lists Italian options, and Amazon FR doesn't list a release at all.

It's a bad sign, but don't panic yet.

I am all for mobs, pitchforks and generic torching of buildings, but can everybody please just calm down, there's a similar amount of evidence to suggest it's another master.

I don't know, just wait until October at least. The Italian comes out on September 23, so we'll probably be able to get an idea at some point after that if it is definitely the US master, and maybe if we can find an Italian they'll be able to tell us if they're SDH or not.

Even if both releases turn out to be non-starters I may just import the US version and 'accidentally' remux some correct subtitles to the file instead...

Buzz201 said:
Even if both releases turn out to be non-starters I may just import the US version and 'accidentally' remux some correct subtitles to the file instead...
If you're going to do that you may as well 'accidentally' remux BD video in as well.
Everything about this release is garbage. Lots of people wanted - and waited for Jojo to come west, and it's been given nothing more than proper ****** treatment by Warner. If the idea of this release is to get a few more people to import the JP BDs, then congratulations Warner Japan, it's working.

Mangaranga said:
Buzz201 said:
If you're going to do that you may as well 'accidentally' remux BD video in as well.
Everything about this release is garbage. Lots of people wanted - and waited for Jojo to come west, and it's been given nothing more than proper ****** treatment by Warner.

I can morally justify 'accidentally' remuxing subtitles into a DVD I've paid for, I don't think I could do the same with BD video. I don't like JoJo's enough to buy it from Japan.

It's a shame Warner Bros. kept it to themselves, Andrew Partridge said he thought every UK licensor was interested at one point, and as much as I'm trying to remain optimistic, a few music substitutions aren't looking too bad now...

The worrying thing now is what's going to happen when it comes to Stardust Crusaders. At least in this instance the JP BDs have English subtitles, but that's not the case with SC. A cheap DVD set with minimal effort and lack of proper subtitles isn't going to cut it. Part of me wants this half arsed DVD release to tank so they'll license out SC to a proper distributor who knows what they're doing.

Mangaranga said:
The worrying thing now is what's going to happen when it comes to Stardust Crusaders. At least in this instance the JP BDs have English subtitles, but that's not the case with SC. A cheap DVD set with minimal effort and lack of proper subtitles isn't going to cut it.

They've dropped the ball so badly, Stardust Crusaders may not even get a release. It's like Warner Bros. have somehow found the list of things you absolutely should not do on an anime release and done every single last of them.

People are genuinely pissed at how poorly this has been handled, some of their vitriol is excessive (Warner Bros. menus are a positive godsend compared to this continuing abomination from Universal - they even have the gall to ask you what language you want before you get to that menu screen), but most of it is perfectly legitimate.

This may be a dumb question, but has anybody checked the actual subs rather than just the menu? The menu is a template so it's possible the subs might just be listed badly...

Buzz201 said:
This may be a dumb question, but has anybody checked the actual subs rather than just the menu? The menu is a template so it's possible the subs might just be listed badly...
A user on TFP and another on twitter have both stated it's dubtitle only.

Mangaranga said:
Buzz201 said:
A user on TFP and another on twitter have both stated it's dubtitle only.

Fair enough, the only source I've seen is the menu screencaps NormanicGrav posted earlier.

Those menus are ugly as..... How can a company like WB do that... well its for kids anyway, they think... And dubtitles its even better. I enjoyed JoJo a lot but I will not buy this for sure, even more if its just DVD only. Its not like I plan to rewatch it anyway. :mrgreen:

Someone needs to go through a table for the JoJo situation. It's bad enough when companies are being hamstrung by the Japanese because god forbid a Tanaka ever buys anything for anything less than the insane prices / Disc Counts that the companies demand but when you do it yourself that's just transcending all decency.

And, please, don't call this a "God Send", relative or otherwise. It's BS and it being less BS than someone else's BS still doesn't remove the S or the B from the equation.
Buzz201 said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Though if they could just can World Trigger outright that'd be grand.

Nothing bloody happens in that comic.
It has 4 episodes left, there's no point in organising a hate campaign now. Anyway, I quite like World Trigger, the show is a bit too slow for it's own good though. What we need is World Trigger Kai...
The problem isn't Toei (for once) It's the source material.
What we need is for the story to get out of the Danger Room and to start applying boot to ****. We've had like one major arc and the rest is the slowest slog though training fights when, really, that's not tactically sane.

Don't give me fantastical other realms with Gods, spaceships and awesome stuff and then lock me in the Danger Room just because you found a clever way to basically get away with lopping off limbs constantly without consequence.

ConanThe3rd said:
The problem isn't Toei (for once) It's the source material.
What we need is for them to get out of the Danger Room and to start applying boot to ****. We've had like one major arc and the rest is the slowest slog though training fights when, really, that's not tactically sane.

Don't give me fantastical other realms with Gods and awesome stuff and then lock me in the Danger Room just because you found a clever way to basically get away with lopping off limbs constantly without consequence.

I think the show's biggest sin is how slow it is, and that's almost entirely down to Toei's ridiculous 50 episode order. There's a point halfway through the second episode, that clearly should have been the ending of the first episode, and that just about sets the bar for the entire series.

And personally, I'm not that bothered about dragons or fantastical realms, but I could do without ranking competitions, what military of sane mind organises it's entire structure around ranking competitions? And let's not even talk about those idiots fighting over Jin's black trigger, they even mention the obvious flaw in that nonsense, and then proceed to just ignore it...

The show promises me a Colossal Doughnut, I will bloody well get that Colossal Doughnut and I will bring about the attack of the 50 foot eyesores to do so.

When you're being BTFO in your own premise by GATE, which has a ton of issues, you need to examine yourself and GTFO of the Danger Room.

Back