The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

This is rather interesting. I noticed just now that a tweet of mine had been favourited by the official U.S. account for Yo-Kai Watch, who are curiously following Sentai Filmworks. Like most official Twitter accounts, they tend to only follow those they have a direct business relationship with (such as Disney XD, Nintendo of America and Viz Media).

Although it's also worth mentioning that the account is following Joe Merrick, the founder of Serebii.net - one of the largest Pokémon fansites. Amusing.

Joshawott said:
Because personally, I thought there were a number of shows that deserved to sell more yet didn't. Charlotte had a lot of potential and was visually pleasing, but I can't help but feel that said potential was completely squandered towards the end of its run.

I think exactly the same, but to a much greater extent. There's something about Charlotte that's making people incredibly bitter, and I don't understand why, especially when there's monster girl shows that could be taking the blame...

This entire season has been pants, even if School-Live! was the greatest show ever, the fact I had to google which show it was says a hell of a lot.

Buzz201 said:
I think exactly the same, but to a much greater extent. There's something about Charlotte that's making people incredibly bitter, and I don't understand why, especially when there's monster girl shows that could be taking the blame...

This entire season has been pants, even if School-Live! was the greatest show ever, the fact I had to google which show it was says a hell of a lot.
I'd say it ultimately boils down to the fact that a lot of people watched Charlotte and many of them ended up finding it disappointing. Other shows that didn't receive the same attention have met and exceeded expectations but that doesn't necessarily seem to translate into better sales. To a lot of people, it's going to look like Charlotte is selling on hype while shows with a greater level of "quality" are doing worse or no better. People are never fond of that sort of thing.

I suppose your point about Gakkou Gurashi/School Live! highlights that marketing can be as important or even more so than the actual show itself. I think most people would prefer if the "quality" of the show was the only factor in it's success but it's tough to see a way that could work.

As I understand it, the monster girl shows (presumably Monster Musume and/or Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, not sure if there were others) have met or exceeded expectations and generally received positive comments. While they might not be for everyone, it's hard to say they haven't earned decent sales. It also seems that Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa may be selling below what many would have hoped for, though I think most people have said that it's more "good" than "great".

I'd say it's going a bit far to write off the whole season, plenty of people have found at least a few shows to enjoy. I could understand if you didn't find anything you liked but even then it's a bit much to lump every show of the season in together unless you've actually watched them all.

Plus, there was Non Non Biyori Repeat, that alone made the season worthwhile.

There's rumours floating about that Manglobe are bankrupt.

Buzz201 said:
Not to spoil but there's things you don't walk back from and Charlotte did exactly that.

ConanThe3rd said:
Not to spoil but there's things you don't walk back from and Charlotte did exactly that.

I hated Charlotte with a passion at the end, if you read my Episode 11 review. I was fuming with how awful that episode was, how arguably xenophobic the last three episodes were, how it abandoned it's characters, how all the new characters introduced with ********s, how stupid they made Yu. But do I begrudge it's success? No.

It's the later part I don't understand. Who cares if it's successful or not? Clearly people enjoyed it, and more power to them. I hated Gatchaman Crowds, am I glee that Insight isn't doing brilliantly? No. I don't see why we can't all just let people enjoy what they want.

Smeelia said:
I'd say it ultimately boils down to the fact that a lot of people watched Charlotte and many of them ended up finding it disappointing. Other shows that didn't receive the same attention have met and exceeded expectations but that doesn't necessarily seem to translate into better sales. To a lot of people, it's going to look like Charlotte is selling on hype while shows with a greater level of "quality" are doing worse or no better. People are never fond of that sort of thing.

I suppose your point about Gakkou Gurashi/School Live! highlights that marketing can be as important or even more so than the actual show itself. I think most people would prefer if the "quality" of the show was the only factor in it's success but it's tough to see a way that could work.

As I understand it, the monster girl shows (presumably Monster Musume and/or Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, not sure if there were others) have met or exceeded expectations and generally received positive comments. While they might not be for everyone, it's hard to say they haven't earned decent sales. It also seems that Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa may be selling below what many would have hoped for, though I think most people have said that it's more "good" than "great".

I'd say it's going a bit far to write off the whole season, plenty of people have found at least a few shows to enjoy. I could understand if you didn't find anything you liked but even then it's a bit much to lump every show of the season in together unless you've actually watched them all.

Plus, there was Non Non Biyori Repeat, that alone made the season worthwhile.

I think that's part of the reason people hate Aniplex, because even their bad shows have good marketing strategies, whereas everybody else relies on word of mouth. Consequently their shows, even the bad ones, tend to do reasonably well.

I was just saying that monster girls seems to be the in thing to have beef with at the moment, so it seems weird that everyone's bitter with Charlotte when there's a few of those floating about.

I enjoyed a few shows, but with the exception of Ushio and Tora, which has been consistent throughout, everything I've seen has been meh, and there's no one show that is universally adored as there has been in the past.

Monster Musume is an easy target because it's a fanservice show (based on a popular fanservice manga), I don't think there's really a lot of true "hate" for the show since most people who watched it seem to have gotten what they wanted out of it. I'd imagine a lot of complaints against the show are either not entirely serious or just a more general dislike of fanservice shows rather than the actual show in question.

I'm not sure what the criteria for "universally adored" would be. I'd argue that part of the issue is people not giving Non Non Biyori Repeat (and the original season) enough credit, though perhaps that's just me doing the same as the people that complain about fanservice shows.

Buzz201 said:
I think that's part of the reason people hate Aniplex, because even their bad shows have good marketing strategies, whereas everybody else relies on word of mouth. Consequently their shows, even the bad ones, tend to do reasonably well.

Wait, people hate Aniplex because they have people that work there actually do their jobs and properly advertise their products? Maybe Anno was right about the end of Anime if other companies don't put any effort into marketing :roll:

Rosencrantz said:
Buzz201 said:

Wait, people hate Aniplex because they have people that work there actually do their jobs and properly advertise their products? Maybe Anno was right about the end of Anime if other companies don't put any effort into marketing :roll:

It's not necessarily that they aren't marketing, but clearly Aniplex are a lot better at it.

I know the first part of that was sarcastic, but this is a genuine complaint from the ANN forums. I think you'll be surprised how much of it is bitching about Aniplex behaving like a business should (for reference it came from a thread about GATE, a series in which Aniplex have no direct involvement, other than their ownership of A-1 Pictures):
I'd like to think it if their producers didn't have such astronomical egos and were always bragging about the work they do and that everything is going to be this big huge deal that will leave the competition in the dust and make a ton of money (while their workers are overworked, underpaid and in some cases fall ill or even die as a result of their schedules), achieve cult hit status and then proceeded to engage in stealth marketing, and charge way more for their products in foreign countries than any other competing publisher while claiming the reason for it is that it's a "superior" product that people including myself wouldn't relish every chance they have to stick it to them.

I didn't mind them too much before they started to adopt their parent companies attitude more and more and strut around like they are cock of the walk and can do anything they want with anything they can get their hands on as long as it's popular, now I really dislike them and a lot of people I know hate their pricing schemes too and general cocksure attitude. If it weren't for today's surprise announcement about the SAO soundtrack I wouldn't have though they cared even remotely about their fans, up front PR and the actual quality of their product as long as they've made their money.

So yeah I'd like to think if a company is going to act and present the kind of "for the money" attitude they do that they kind of earn their extra criticism, but personally I don't even think it's enough half the time and they get away with things that other companies never would because of their PR spin, stealth marketing and friends in entertainment news. Also ironically the way you go on about fans just liking things unconditionally for what they are I'm reasonably sure you are A-1's ideal customer lol.

That post drove me insane, because a) most of those are things every animation studio does, and if they don't, they probably should be and b) most of them are just good business strategies, for example nobody's going to watch a series if you promote it as meh, but loads of people will tune into "the next big thing".

black1blade said:
So what is it a hoax?
ohduUtd.png

I wouldn't call it a hoax

BlackStrat said:
Kizumonogatari countdown
http://www.kizumonogatari-movie.com/

Check the source code :lol:

The Arararagi hype is nigh.

For those curious, here's the trailer from back in 2011 - 4 years ago. And the trailer from the beginning of Bakemonogatari.

The last rumour was a possible release date for February 30th (which doesn't exist so I assume due to the JST it's the 29th for UK & US).

UPDATE: Just checked the source code, gave me a sudden shock of fright for a moment then I realised it's Hanekawa being a tease, oh bless you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back