The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

I use Hola and it works really well. Sometimes it'll say you're browsing from the USA/wherever and you aren't, but 95% of the time it works fine. (I test that by having a non USA accessible show in my queue; Black Butler Book of Circus. If I can see that, it's not working) It's dead simple to use as well; just a browser extension.

st_owly said:
I use Hola and it works really well. Sometimes it'll say you're browsing from the USA/wherever and you aren't, but 95% of the time it works fine. (I test that by having a non USA accessible show in my queue; Black Butler Book of Circus. If I can see that, it's not working) It's dead simple to use as well; just a browser extension.
Seconding this, I've had no trouble (other than the odd connection loss) with it so far.

Also, while I'm in the Q & A thread, does anyone have any tips for importing Aniplex of America titles? I notice their preferred seller is Right Stuf, who don't ship to the UK (and I'd rather not use a forwarding service, unless anyone has had some really good experiences with them?). Is it just a case of waiting for it to turn up on Amazon.com/ebay and going from there? (Title in question being the Garden of Sinners epilogue).

UK site up1.co.uk sells AoA titles. They have a US site as well, were you can get the titles a bit cheaper.

NoSurprises said:
st_owly said:
Seconding this, I've had no trouble (other than the odd connection loss) with it so far.

Also, while I'm in the Q & A thread, does anyone have any tips for importing Aniplex of America titles? I notice their preferred seller is Right Stuf, who don't ship to the UK (and I'd rather not use a forwarding service, unless anyone has had some really good experiences with them?). Is it just a case of waiting for it to turn up on Amazon.com/ebay and going from there? (Title in question being the Garden of Sinners epilogue).

I was under the impression that Rightstuf do ship to the UK, even if some of the items may be marked as US/Canada only. I suppose that could of changed of course but I was always under the impression they primarily blocked all sales to Japan/Asia and didn't care about a few UK/European fans buying copies.

From my conversations with United Publications they deal with AoA direct and also have other distributors they can get stock off of. As Emulsion mentioned if you order via their US website you can get things cheaper, bear in mind how your card provider may charge for buying in dollars (mine seems to charge a 2% ish fee) the exchange rate has tanked a little but last I checked I was still saving a few quid on each purchase - plus no risk of customs.

Last time I tried to order from UP1 USA my credit card provider blocked it for some reason even though there was enough balance on the card. I phoned UP1 and they did a special PayPal invoice for me, but because of the currency conversion fees, it actually ended up being more expensive than ordering from the UK site....

Rosencrantz said:
NoSurprises said:
st_owly said:

I was under the impression that Rightstuf do ship to the UK, even if some of the items may be marked as US/Canada only. I suppose that could of changed of course but I was always under the impression they primarily blocked all sales to Japan/Asia and didn't care about a few UK/European fans buying copies.

From my conversations with United Publications they deal with AoA direct and also have other distributors they can get stock off of. As Emulsion mentioned if you order via their US website you can get things cheaper, bear in mind how your card provider may charge for buying in dollars (mine seems to charge a 2% ish fee) the exchange rate has tanked a little but last I checked I was still saving a few quid on each purchase - plus no risk of customs.

I did message Right Stuf about items marked "US/Canada distribution only", and they assured me my order would be cancelled if my shipping address was not in one of those countries, maybe that's just their line for inquiries.

Ordered off 1UP USA in the end. Believe my bank charges a flat fee for non sterling purchases, which wasn't all that much. Any reason for the no risk of customs? Do they ship it to their UK branch before shipping it to me or something?

NoSurprises said:
Ordered off 1UP USA in the end. Believe my bank charges a flat fee for non sterling purchases, which wasn't all that much. Any reason for the no risk of customs? Do they ship it to their UK branch before shipping it to me or something?

They ship from their 'UK warehouse'

Basically they are one and the same, I assume by setting up an address in the US and charging in dollars it is somehow beneficial cost/profit wise for them aswell as allowing them to sell to UK slightly cheaper.

Rosencrantz said:
Basically they are one and the same, I assume by setting up an address in the US and charging in dollars it is somehow beneficial cost/profit wise for them aswell as allowing them to sell to UK slightly cheaper.
Apparently they bulk buy USD to get it at a lower rate which then reflects in the prices they set on the website.

Sora Takeuchi said:
Anyone have this release of The disappearance of haruhi suzumiya http://www.play-asia.com/the-disappeara ... -4687.html can confirm it comes with english subs?

As far as I'm aware the movie doesn't have subtitles.

In case people are wondering about the Haruhi Japanese Blu-ray Disc Boxes, the TV series (both original and Season 1 'Broadcast Order') sets have English subtitles & English dub while the Haruhi-chan set has English subtitles.

Sorry for the noobI question but I see a lot of folks buying Blu-Rays from the US. Do a lot of them tend to be region free or to you guys buy dedicated hardware for other regions?

Unit-00 said:
Sorry for the noobI question but I see a lot of folks buying Blu-Rays from the US. Do a lot of them tend to be region free or to you guys buy dedicated hardware for other regions?

Since the US, Japan and most other countries which are relevant in anime are in region A, I only bought region A players at the start (or normal players which you can set to a region of your place in the case of the one in my computer).

I bought a region B player only recently when Anime Limited started releasing things over here which weren't copies of the US versions. You can also get a proper multi-region setup reasonably easily but it will likely cost more.

Alternatively, a lot of US releases (and most Japanese releases) tend to be region free (or region A+B) anyway, especially now the UK or Australian (same region as us) companies try to do deals with the US side to share stock. Or even if you stick purely to region B, you can sometimes find good deals from Australia for shows without a UK BD release.

R

serpantino said:
http://www.blu-ray.com/ is where I tend to check first to see if a US title is region free.

I too also use this site :) It's a very handy source indeed :)

Sorry to jump in but does anyone know of what is happening to UK-Anime.net? It seems to have vanished?

st_owly said:
They posted on Facebook saying they were having problems with the site.

Fair play. I don't use FB too often as a rule.

Thank you

Back