The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

st_owly said:
No and no is the answer. I'm pretty sure Manga said they weren't interested in TWGOK season 3 as the first 2 didn't sell very well, and Eva, who knows??

Well I don't know about Manga but I see that Sentai have their hands on it, so I would've thought it should be happening in some form or other.. I'd just prefer a R2 release. I wondered if anyone had any other info on the web I hadn't found I suppose, and it would be a shame if only the U.S. got it.

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/shows/th ... -goddesses

As for Eva 3.33 they might as well have brought the final impact on it all and ended it there.. Lol

Lutga said:
There still hasn't been a peep from Funimation as far as I know re. the Eva release/the dub since their last update, so I very much doubt we'll be seeing it before 2016 at this point.

The worst case scenario is that discussions/activity between Funi and Khara broke down completely behind the scenes, meaning a dubbed version will never come out / the release will be delayed indefinitely. The trouble with Eva is that because it's such a well known property, it kind of becomes the thing that 'has' to be released with a dub - the distributor will hold and hold on it because they know the difference between a dubbed and subbed-only release would be thousands, if not tens of thousands of copies.

Agreed on all points I think.. It's such a shame that fans get p**sed about as much as we do with anime. Can you imagine if they withheld episodes of Eastenders? The UK would stop..

KevinB said:
robot monkey said:
Is it me or does the creator of One Piece have something about characters with hats and also characters with odd laughs, this trend is something that's become more noticeable over time. Are the odd laughs in the Japanese original dubs & do the western dubs copy them, or are they something added in by a particular voice artist on the western dub as it mostly seems the same voice doing them?
On the hats issue, I think it comes partially for the subject matter, as pirates and hats seem to go together.

With regards to the laughs it goes back to the Manga, in which each major villain plus some minor villains has their own unique laugh. Which was then adapted in the original dub, and then copied into the western dub. From listening to the some of the commentaries it is each characters voice artist doing the laugh for their character.

Thanks for that response. Even some of good guys have odd laughs, namely Brook. Mind you he seems to be an exceptional odd character even by the Straw Hats standards!

Gavrev said:
st_owly said:
No and no is the answer. I'm pretty sure Manga said they weren't interested in TWGOK season 3 as the first 2 didn't sell very well, and Eva, who knows??

Well I don't know about Manga but I see that Sentai have their hands on it, so I would've thought it should be happening in some form or other.. I'd just prefer a R2 release. I wondered if anyone had any other info on the web I hadn't found I suppose, and it would be a shame if only the U.S. got it.

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/shows/th ... -goddesses

It's out, or at least United Publications have it, my copy arrived yesterday.

The way I see it is S1 & S2 sold poorly for Manga, therefore they will not want to bother with season 3. MvM and AL will not want to a) tread on Manga's toes by licencing something they have the first and second parts of and b) try to release something that's not going to be profitable (if it was profitable Manga would have it already). From a business perspective it makes 100% sense to not bother with the series any further, sure some fans will be upset but the trouble is that there aren't enough of those fans to matter or S1 & S2 would of sold better.

The sad situation is that many series do slip through the cracks and never get a UK release - just take Oreimo for example.

It's perhaps best to just broaden the horizon and plump for the US release and be thankful.. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with R1.. It's just a bit more convenient on native format. Still, as you allude to its not always a luxury with anime, or so it seems. I think one of the broader issues we face as a collective of anime fans is simply that people generally don't have broad enough cultural tastes in sufficient numbers anyway. Your average anime cinema release can be surprisingly well populated, but only if it's known about and a lot of this stuff is overshadowed by the voracity of Hollywood advertising. It's a real shame when there is so much joy to be had.

Anyone know anywhere I can find actual photos or an unboxing of this set(Pokemon season 1 & 2 limited edition set, picture attached)

-Danielle- said:
Happy that UP1 have Season 3 of TWGOK! It looks to be dubbed too since it states Hyb??

That's steep in price though for DVD. Would it go any cheaper or no??

http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/T1663-The+ ... ection+Hyb

Yup, its dubbed. It may go cheaper eventually, might be an idea to wait for a sale somewhere or see if it gets announced for UK release at the May Comic Con.
I'd personally say to wait till the OVA's (http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/T1688-The+ ... ection+Hyb) are out, the third season story arc will make much more sense after viewing the Tenri OVA's.

-Danielle- said:
Happy that UP1 have Season 3 of TWGOK! It looks to be dubbed too since it states Hyb??

That's steep in price though for DVD. Would it go any cheaper or no??

http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/T1663-The+ ... ection+Hyb

Unlikely to drop in price on UP1, the only time I see it happen is when the UK release is round the corner and they want to shift it prior to the cheaper UK version. It seems unlikely we will get a UK release judging from prior Manga comments.

Cheers name twin and Rosencrantz. Will wait for a while :) After all I have a backlog to deal with before I add this one on I guess :p High School DxD Season 2 will no doubt get purchased before this. Speaking of DxD, a dubbed release date been provided for this yet please?

-Danielle- said:
Cheers name twin and Rosencrantz. Will wait for a while :) After all I have a backlog to deal with before I add this one on I guess :p High School DxD Season 2 will no doubt get purchased before this. Speaking of DxD, a dubbed release date been provided for this yet please?

:mrgreen:

Season 2 of DXD is dubbed and out in the states (http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/H1204-High ... Series+Hyb) I'd be very surprised if it's not announced for UK release at the May Expo.

If it isn't and you realllly want it now I know the Blu Ray on the item above is region free but unsure on DVD , I presume it will be. As you're a DVD type girl, maybe someone could confirm it being region free also..?

Dannielle said:
-Danielle- said:

:mrgreen:

Season 2 of DXD is dubbed and out in the states (http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/H1204-High ... Series+Hyb) I'd be very surprised if it's not announced for UK release at the May Expo.

If it isn't and you realllly want it now I know the Blu Ray on the item above is region free but unsure on DVD , I presume it will be. As you're a DVD type girl, maybe someone could confirm it being region free also..?

DxD New is Region 2 compatible. I've tested it. :thumb:

Can't find any info on it, but is it safe to assume that the Japanese Gintama BD boxsets don't have English subs? Anyone know?

Looking into the different versions of Haibane Renmei

Can someone tell me what the differences are, if any, between the first Geneon set (released in 2003) and the second one (released in 2005) ?

First edition
Second edition

Was the set that FUNimation released re-mastered/re-authored ?

So the simple version of my question is, what is the best version to get for this series ?

The first one is just Volume 1 with an artbox to store the other volumes, only the second link is a complete collection. The single volumes and collection appear to be the exact same DVDs, so I guess it depends which box you prefer and whether you want to hunt down volumes 2, 3 and 4 separately.

Haibane was also released by MVM in the UK, their releases might be cheaper. But that Geneon complete collection artbox is very nice... MVM's collection comes in a box that looks like the one on the first link.

edit: I didn't even realise Funi had rereleased it, but their version still seems to be the same one Geneon released. It is a 2002 digital series made in that time before HD, so sadly the PQ probably can't be improved that much anyway.

Funimation's release was remastered to spread the episodes across 2 discs instead of 4.

I have the Australian release from Sony-Universal which is essentially the same thing in NTSC format, although for some daft reason, Sony re-do the authoring with less aesthetically pleasing and incomplete subtitles (on screen text is unsubbed), and slightly more awkward navigation.

I've also got the MVM release, and I couldn't qualitatively see the difference between the two, even with MVM's NTSC-PAL standards conversion taken into account. Haibane Renmei isn't the most detailed show, I think it was animated at less than 480i resolution, so you're not going to see a lot of difference in terms of visuals. In terms of disc real estate, and closeness to original broadcast quality, I'd say the Geneon release is the one to go for, NTSC across 4 discs.

Thanks for the explanation.

@ayase, the one i have a chance of getting is the First edition but with all volumes, so the artbox which came with volume 1 and then the 3 other volumes also. So a complete set.

I guess for 25€ (approx. 18,15£) i shouldn't doubt too long getting this :)

That seems like a very good price and as JPT says, if the Funi release is only 2 disc that's probably the better option.

Great show btw, if you've not seen it before.

Back