UK Anime Christmas Sales for 2023 [Anime Ltd's 12 Days of Xmas + More]

Well that is a big Epic Fail, Not only cause no 18+ despite one of them being labelled as such, they already released a repeat that was just out last year? Talk about being unconsidered. Wouldn't that be counted as fraud for not releasing any 18plus despite saying it is?

2 of em are repeats that i already got, i hope don't get em. A couple of them are actually good i hope i get.

I just hope the DVD bundle is a lot better.
While I understand the frustration it's worth pointing out the listing doesn't say it'll avoid clashing with previous years, only the clearance and Christmas sales. Not sure if MVM have said otherwise elsewhere but it looks like this was always a risk with the bundles this year.

I'd wait on a response from MVM before getting too heated about the 18 rated set. This is just one case so far so who knows if this is an isolated incident or not. Unlike AL and Crunchyroll they're actually pretty great at communication and will likely have a response for this.

(Talking about mvm mystery boxes but spoiler free)

the last years anime online/mvm mystery boxes was ok borderline bad but i think this is the worst year for there mystery boxes. So much that I'm not sure ill be buying them in the future, as i feel they have been going down hill last few years. Literally barely any dub shows 90% was all sub, loads were in last years mystery's boxes so have at least 5 duplicates, and loads that has been on the deal of the week all year or in clearance (i know the £10 mystery box was clearance but they was still other clearance stuff in other boxes).

I got all 4 boxes don't know which ones which as all thrown in but all bad probably avoid if you planning on purchasing

The 17:00 reveal is up very early today

Another one I haven't heard of. Has anyone got any thoughts on this one? Any good?

Last edited:
Last years MVM DVD mystery bundle I thought was actaully really good (they were mostly recently released stuff and a good amount of DVD only titles), but will have to wait and see om that one for this year.

As other mentioned surprised there wasn't an 18 title in the blu-ray bundle, I missed that fact when I posted it up. Grimoire of zero was the only one I wasn't really expecting or not sure it should have been included due to the CE being in the Christmas sale (but I think its more exact dupes of items is what there refering too).

But yeah I often buy the mystery bundles and I think most of them have been in before over the years.
But for the most part mystery bundles probably are not surposed to be something I should be buying with my pretty large collection. But for £4 a blu-ray I can't help myself and I'm happy enough with the value of the title I recieved even if alot of them are dupes (the dupes being my own fault for aquiring so much anime)

Another one I haven't heard of. Has anyone got any thoughts on this one? Any good?
It's very much a marmite show, some people absolutely love it and some loathe it.
the animation was v controversial as it's rotoscoped, and the plot has bullying and psychological trauma. it's very tense and there is a LOT of secondhand embarrassment, can be a tough watch for some.
so more than most shows you should look at clips to see if it might be your sort of thing!

Last edited:

Will give it a miss and pick it up in a future sale instead. £40 and only 6 art cards and an A3 poster is disappointing.

I noticed Bakuon is one of the titles in the MVM mystery boxes. I just need to find out which mystery box it’s in and I’ll go for it.

If anyone knows, please let me know! 🙂

But for £4 a blu-ray I can't help myself and I'm happy enough with the value of the title I recieved even if alot of them are dupes (the dupes being my own fault for aquiring so much anime)
Likewise; I can’t complain about the price/value, but the duplicates issue is somewhat more debatable because for the most part, the buyers will be repeat customers (of such boxes).
There will essentially be three groups of people looking at the bundles;
  • those who don’t have many titles (so starting or sampling),
  • those aware of the last one (but didn’t buy or missed)
  • those who are ‘regulars’ and have bought at least once before,
I’m specifically not including the ’group’ not interested for whatever reason (from previous experience, risk adverse to simple disinterest)

I don’t have the data, but do rather think the ’repeat customer’ group will be by far the largest.

I remember I got Vatican Miracle Examiner in a previous mystery box. Honestly I watched the first 3 episodes and hated it.
I have to point out that this can’t be a complaint about the mystery box or said contents; part of the reason (or even, attraction) of these is the possibility of coming across titles that you otherwise wouldn’t find or consider.
At least it costs at most £4 (or less than £20, assuming there’s something else of value in the box!), compared to the price it would otherwise cost to find out, which appears to currently be £30 (so presumably possible £15 on offer)

Likewise; I can’t complain about the price/value, but the duplicates issue is somewhat more debatable because for the most part, the buyers will be repeat customers (of such boxes).
There will essentially be three groups of people looking at the bundles;
  • those who don’t have many titles (so starting or sampling),
  • those aware of the last one (but didn’t buy or missed)
  • those who are ‘regulars’ and have bought at least once before,
I’m specifically not including the ’group’ not interested for whatever reason (from previous experience, risk adverse to simple disinterest)

I don’t have the data, but do rather think the ’repeat customer’ group will be by far the largest.
Via MVM's Twitter. Regardless of what group actually ends up buying them it's clear MVM's target is beginners. Beginners who likely wouldn't face the issue of duplicates.

I have to point out that this can’t be a complaint about the mystery box or said contents; part of the reason (or even, attraction) of these is the possibility of coming across titles that you otherwise wouldn’t find or consider.
At least it costs at most £4 (or less than £20, assuming there’s something else of value in the box!), compared to the price it would otherwise cost to find out, which appears to currently be £30 (so presumably possible £15 on offer)
Wasn't a complaint, just my honest feedback after seeing that title again.

Has anyone confirmed the Anime Ltd mystery boxes yet? I haven't seen anything but must admit not been hugely paying attention since I did my order for NGE the other day.

I received a tracking number from FEDEX for an order that had both mystery boxes in, but it hasn’t updated since Monday - not sure if anyone else has had the same?

It's very much a marmite show, some people absolutely love it and some loathe it.
the animation was v controversial as it's rotoscoped, and the plot has bullying and psychological trauma. it's very tense and there is a LOT of secondhand embarrassment, can be a tough watch for some.
so more than most shows you should look at clips to see if it might be your sort of thing!
Perfectly summarised. I hate rotoscoping myself but that doesn't take away from my enjoying a good show or movie (I loved Hannah & Alice for example), and I quite liked Flowers of Evil. Whilst it's definitely marmite, I feel it's a good taster for the Mangaka's other works.

Look my issue is not that there are repeat's i mean at some point if they release a repeat is bound to happen.

But this year they had 3 repeats and not only that one of them was already in one last year, like could you of at least waited a couple of years ? at least the other 2 had a few gap years in between.

The bigger issue is the promotional material that one was said to be 18+ and yet all the contents are only 15+ at best and no offence but when you label one like that over the other, it is clear that was suppose to be a main reason to buy that particular box and not having it seems a little deceptive. Have they even given a reason for it? Last i checked they are still labeling it as such.

Back