US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does funi sometimes put region b on the disks? (not that I'm coplaining as I'm probably going to get the funimation version of psycho pass)

black1blade said:
Why does funi sometimes put region b on the disks? (not that I'm coplaining as I'm probably going to get the funimation version of psycho pass)

Some shows are licensed for release in countries which are Region B, so as a result they 'dual-code' their discs to work in both the US and that Region B country.

black1blade said:
Cool. Blu ray region codes are a lot more convenient than DVD's.

It's hit and miss; i found DVD Region locks are easier to bypass (as most DVD Players can be made multi-regional via an unlock code) where as Blu-ray players need either a modifcation fitted or a selective firmware installed (on selective models only) in order to play the disc.

Some discs (such as Sentai Filmwork titles) can be played by using a 'title search method' but in my eyes its annoying and time consuming (not as simple as just putting the disc into the player and pressing play).

Interestingly a variety of DVD Discs have also been encoded Region 2 in the past; for instance some of FUNimation Combo Packs (Blu-ray and DVD) that are Region B compatible also contain a Region 2 compatible DVD; furthermore majority of Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT DVD's (and some Dragon Ball DVDs) were encoded Region 2 compatible.

I'm not sure if anybody confirmed it yet, but since it's still unconfirmed in the main page, I can confirm that Dragonball Z seasons 7, 8 and 9 are indeed region B compatible.

st_owly said:
Does anyone know if NIS' Love Live season 1 set is region B compatible? Couldn't find it in the list.

I read somewhere that starting with Yuru Yuri season 1, NIS had locked them to Region A. I don't know if anything after that release was Region B compatible.

Jatz said:
st_owly said:
Does anyone know if NIS' Love Live season 1 set is region B compatible? Couldn't find it in the list.

I read somewhere that starting with Yuru Yuri season 1, NIS had locked them to Region A. I don't know if anything after that release was Region B compatible.
They have always been locked to zone A (with the exception of daily lives of high school boys), it's just that they fixed the glitch that allowed them to be played on a zone B PS3/4 starting with Yuru Yuri so love live will also not work on a zone B PS3/4.

st_owly said:
Thanks for the info folks. Is there any way to make a PS3 multiregion or should I just buy a BluRay player or a drive for my laptop?
You can't make the PS3 multiregion. I also can't recommend getting a BD Drive for PC and especially a laptop considering you'll probably have to pay again for software which will actually let you play back BDs.
Your best bet is to try a find a region free BD player.

Mangaranga said:
st_owly said:
Thanks for the info folks. Is there any way to make a PS3 multiregion or should I just buy a BluRay player or a drive for my laptop?
You can't make the PS3 multiregion. I also can't recommend getting a BD Drive for PC and especially a laptop considering you'll probably have to pay again for software which will actually let you play back BDs.
Your best bet is to try a find a region free BD player.

No need to pay for additional software on PC; BDRegionTray is completely free and allows you to manually change the region of your drive.

Simply download, open the .exe file and choose the region you want to use (by clicking the icon on your icon tray (next to clock)) - pretty cool tool and I've been using it for past few weeks.

st_owly said:
Thanks for the link. I'm one of those Mac people though :p I'm sure there's probably an equivalent.
If I remember correctly Rui plays back BDs on a mac. Maybe she could spread some light on your options, but I could be wrong about that though. On windows at least there's no easy way to play back BDs since literally nothing natively supports it.
I use AnyDVDHD to decrypt Blurays and then play them back with MPC-HC or XBMC (For BD Menu support).

Y2Johnny said:
I'm not sure if anybody confirmed it yet, but since it's still unconfirmed in the main page, I can confirm that Dragonball Z seasons 7, 8 and 9 are indeed region B compatible.

List updated. Thanks for the confirmations. :)

With those kind of prices, it would be suicide to lock them to one region. They're going to need overseas sales to break even is my opinion. Besides, they're going head to head with Aniplex, and Aniplex leave their discs unlocked. It will still be a try it and see affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back