US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
thedoctor2016 said:
NormanicGrav said:
thedoctor2016 said:
Does anyone know if the Fate/Stay night blu ray from Sentai is region free. I know its an old title but i can't find the answer anywhere

I assume you're referring to the Complete Collection (the one that's apparently 1080p but no one knows yet). That hasn't been tested yet by anyone on this forum unfortunately.

Right okay Ill just wait ill UP ship mine and I will find out then

I didn't know it was only released in October, oh I expect it will work then

Hey, I noticed that 'Say, I Love You' hasn't been confirmed yet, but I can confirm it states A/B on the back cover and plays on both my PS3 and Blu-Ray Player :)

To be honest, geo locked releases should have their own list instead of being dumped on the PS3/4 compatible only list since they have no region coding and would work on a zone B player as long as the country code is set to United States as the Patlabor new files collection ran in my toshiba BDX1200 when it was set to zone B since the country code (either by default or from the Australian version region free firmware) is set to United States by default like it is on the PS3 and PS4.

speedyspeck said:
Hey!

Does anyone know whether the Uta-No Prince-Sama blu-rays work with the Sentai By Pass Trick?

Thanks!
They were released in 2014, so the bypass trick will work with them (you just have to figure out which title you have to select for the first episode on each disc).

NormanicGrav said:
Tested & Confirmed as Region B compatible, baby!
Space Dandy - Season 1 (Blu-ray/DVD)

speedyspeck said:
Hey, I noticed that 'Say, I Love You' hasn't been confirmed yet, but I can confirm it states A/B on the back cover and plays on both my PS3 and Blu-Ray Player :)

List updated. Thanks for the confirmations. :)

demonix said:
To be honest, geo locked releases should have their own list instead of being dumped on the PS3/4 compatible only list since they have no region coding and would work on a zone B player as long as the country code is set to United States as the Patlabor new files collection ran in my toshiba BDX1200 when it was set to zone B since the country code (either by default or from the Australian version region free firmware) is set to United States by default like it is on the PS3 and PS4.

I have created a separate list for the geo locked Blu-ray's.

I have added what Blu-ray's I can remember to the list, if I have missed any please let me know and I will update the list.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the regions for any of these Sentai Filmworks Blu-Ray releases:

- Engaged to the Unidentified
- Maid Sama!
- Outbreak Company
- Place to Place
- Student Council's Discretion
- The World God Only Knows: Goddesses

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

Titan said:
I have added what Blu-ray's I can remember to the list, if I have missed any please let me know and I will update the list.

Here's the list that I'm aware of that work:
A-Channel - Complete Collection
Amagami SS+ - Complete Collection
The Ambition of Oda Nobuna - Complete Collection
Engaged to the Unidentified - Complete Collection
Golden Time - Collection 2
Hozuki's Coolheadedness - Complete Collection
Log Horizon - Collection 2
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! - Season 1 (Collector's Edition)
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse - Collection 1
Non Non Biyori - Complete Collection
Noucome: My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy - Complete Collection
Patlabor Mobile Police: The New Files - Complete Collection
The Qwaser of Stigmata - Complete Collection
Space Brothers - Collection 1

lelouchnarukami said:
I'm just wondering if anyone knows the regions for any of these Sentai Filmworks Blu-Ray releases:

- Engaged to the Unidentified
- Maid Sama!
- Outbreak Company
- Place to Place
- Student Council's Discretion
- The World God Only Knows: Goddesses

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

Most likely Region A. Some of them already can work via Geo-Lock method and I guess so will Place to Place and WGOK:G.

So I got my new blu-Ray player today(a samsung BD-H6500)and I tried to play my muv luv blu-Ray for the hell of it,and to my suprise it actually worked with no issues ,no region locked screen it just played on as normal.I have only tested sentai disks(I tried The world God only knows season 3 as well)and I don't have any region 1 FUNimation disks so I don't know if they will work but looks like I might have made a worthwhile purchase.

Type45 said:
So I got my new blu-Ray player today(a samsung BD-H6500)and I tried to play my muv luv blu-Ray for the hell of it,and to my suprise it actually worked with no issues ,no region locked screen it just played on as normal.I have only tested sentai disks(I tried The world God only knows season 3 as well)and I don't have any region 1 FUNimation disks so I don't know if they will work but looks like I might have made a worthwhile purchase.

That's because of the geo-locking system. Your Blu-ray player's country may be set to America which is why Muv-Luv and The World God Only Knows: Goddesses worked.

NormanicGrav said:
Type45 said:

That's because of the geo-locking system. Your Blu-ray player's country may be set to America which is why Muv-Luv and The World God Only Knows: Goddesses worked.

Sorry I probably should have worded this better.what i was trying to say was that I was surprised to pick up a new blu Ray player which I thought would be region B only to find out that It can play region A disks.(Dumb question I know,but do you think Funi's disks will work?).

Type45 said:
(Dumb question I know,but do you think Funi's disks will work?).
Nope. Funi region locks their discs. Sentai Geo-lock - so as long as the country code of your player is set to US you can play their discs.

Uh... I thought I knew about region locking but what's the difference between region and geo locking? Surely if your player is set to the same region as the disc you're trying to play there's no circumstances in which it wouldn't work? I have an old BD player I can just switch regions on by tapping a code into the remote.

Mangaranga said:
Type45 said:
(Dumb question I know,but do you think Funi's disks will work?).
Nope. Funi region locks their discs. Sentai Geo-lock - so as long as the country code of your player is set to US you can play their discs.

Ah well one out of two ain't bad,Cheers.

ayase said:
Uh... I thought I knew about region locking but what's the difference between region and geo locking? Surely if your player is set to the same region as the disc you're trying to play there's no circumstances in which it wouldn't work? I have an old BD player I can just switch regions on by tapping a code into the remote.
Region Locking is as the name suggests. If there's a mismatch between the region coding of the disc and the player then the disc will not play.
Geo Locking on the other hand is a relatively new thing - or at least it is to anime BDs. The discs checks the Country that the player is set to, NOT the actual player region. In Sentai's case if your player is set to US then the disc will play.
If it's set to, I dunno, Brazil or something then it will not - presenting you with a lockout screen, so you can have a region B/C player that's set to US and the disc will play fine. It just happens that PS3/PS4's and certain BD players are set to US by default, thus being able to play said discs.

Are all PS3's set to US by default? Even ones bought in the UK? So does that mean a UK bought PS3 can play US coded discs and region B Blurays?

st_owly said:
Are all PS3's set to US by default? Even ones bought in the UK? So does that mean a UK bought PS3 can play US coded discs and region B Blurays?
Well judging by the fact that nobody has reported being unable to play Sentai Geo Locked discs on PS3/PS4's yet I believe EU/US PS systems are set to US. Lot's of us confirmed titles like Chuuni worked.
Just to reiterate - this only applies to Sentai discs. Everyone else except Aniplex use traditional region locking still, so you can't buy any old Funi release and expect it to work.

Ah, okay. Just as long as if a player's good for any region it's still good for any disc... If I didn't have my region switchable player I think I'd just order a cheap region A player from the US to sit alongside my PS3, seems the best way of never having to consider what region discs are.

Persona 3 movie 2: Midsummer Knights Dream (Import) needs to be added as a not confirmed (but it's likely to be region free, however I can't 100% confirm this for a few weeks since I got my copy direct instead of the repackaged version from the US).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back