X Men; First class

Tachi said:
Yeah the first one i'll agree it holds itself up well, the second one was.... not so great to revisit.

Transformers is one of the few that i liked watching over and over again, the second ones alright but i've seen the same clip on tv either round my house or round the gf's house over and over again for the past few months, sorta turned me off the thought of revisiting it. the 3rd installments out on the 29th btw.

I think the second is perhaps too much maligned tbh. It's certainly far from perfect, but I think had certain elements been excised or edited it would've been a really good film. Specifically the Twins (don't think they're racist but they are not funny and annoying), Leo, humping dogs, John Turturro's undies (again...) and trimming down the second half in egypt.

I still like it for all the robot punching anyway =P

Yeah the first one to me was a serious story, the second one they tried to add in comedy where it wasn't needed, and for the the guy to go to college? there's no real point in it, it doesn't do much past reignite a love between him and megan fox at the end.... well at the end of the first one they where in love, yeah they've done it to be abit more interesting, a love interest, a war from the past, a sacred object (again) and the fighting....but to me the comedy doesn't need to be there, i'm hoping the 3rd is more "action packed movie" like the first one.

They are 13 year old films. It's Bay's style. Over-sexualised and jokes about masturbation (which the first film totally had in an incredibly awkward comedy scene). I kind of like the first film but loathe the second. It's worse than Green Lantern. I'm hesitant about the third. I hate the new girl already, so we'll see...

Agreed the masturbation comedy scene (this the one with the glasses in the bedroom and they're looking everywhere ina powercut?) wasn't needed but even as an older viewer i can think back and go "yeah, that would be funny if it was mistaken for something it isn't" but overall the storyline works better in the first one.

It's funny hearing Men In Black and X-Men being refered to as "oldies", even thought they're over a decade old I still don't see them as being old films for some reason.

As for Transformers, Bay's films are a travesty, the original Transformers movie from the Eighties is where its at, 90% cheesey camp toy advert, 10% Awesome, plus its got Leonard Nemoy, Orson Welles and Eric Idle providing voice over work!

Also, need I mention the soundtrack!?

You mentioned a treky.... thats not cool man ;)

the films turned up lastnight, was very pleased to see it there waiting for me, so after going tot he gym and pizza hut, i finally got home and watched the first one.... after rewatching it i realised a couple of things.... Rogue is suki from true blood and also, i think she's more attractive with brown hair than blonde. Also.... in the statue of liberty bit at the end... when wolverine is about to stab himself... the "metal" locking him into place, moves haha :p Shall rewatch the second one tonight :D enjoyed it.

Ha! Honestly, I'm not a Trekky, but having someone with the status of Leonard Nemoy in Transformers The Movie is absolutely huge!

RivaOni said:
Ha! Honestly, I'm not a Trekky, but having someone with the status of Leonard Nemoy in Transformers The Movie is absolutely huge!

nimoy01_img.jpg

nimoy02_img.jpg

RivaOni said:

Nimoy's also in Bay's third movie... so...whatcha gonna do now =P

Not having grown up with the G1 cartoon I can't really appreciate the level of nostalgia it receives. It's a decent enough show, but I would say that it doesn't hold up as well as more recent efforts like Beast Wars that try and deal with some more weighty issues (it had an episode that was basically about euthanasia for cripes' sakes).

Plus for all the good in Transformers: The Movie (the Op v Megs fight is pretty epic) there's plenty of silliness too. I mean Junkions, Wheelie and his rhymy speak. I'm not saying Bay's movies are better, I just find it irksome the way some TF fans (not saying you are one of these Riva) hold up G1 as Jesus in cartoon form.

It's not Jesus in cartoon form, thats for sure (that'll be MASK or Thundercats ;) ) but I think the animated movie gets the right blend of what fans loved about the original series plus has some brilliant action set pieces to rival the more modern cartoons. The animated movie is the 80s kids entertainment in its purest form, I still enjoy it now and my daughter would rather watch that than most of the stuff on modern kids channels.

The Bay films have some nice nods, but its mostly the product placement that does my head in really.

Jaymii said:
I can't believe Nimoy is getting hate over here. I don't think I've ever seen that until now.

Not exactly hate, but indifferent. If he wasn't in it i doubt i'd worry too much about it, Good voice for optimus prime but his treky days are.... terrible.

Jaymii said:
What have you seen that makes you dislike the franchise then? You even seen the the 2009 film?

I liked the 2009 film, hell the ones from ages ago (genesis or something) but what i can't get over is how crap things like
gorn-commander.jpg

gw066-gorn.jpg

Come on, seriously its on par with this fella:
godzilla.jpg
your telling me its suitable for star trek to have LESS believability than a 1950's godzilla? its just not on :/

Tachi said:
Jaymii said:
I can't believe Nimoy is getting hate over here. I don't think I've ever seen that until now.

Not exactly hate, but indifferent. If he wasn't in it i doubt i'd worry too much about it, Good voice for optimus prime but his treky days are.... terrible.

Optimus Prime = Peter Cullen, not Nimoy, he voiced Galvatron in the 1986 movie and voices Optimus' predecessor in Dark of the Moon

The is like, value in the non-special effects parts of Star Trek. It's cheesy, but not everything needs to be Battlestar Galactica serious and the relationships aboard the Enterprise are genuinely wonderful. If the special effects do bug you, they done about six films made far after the TV series with a far bigger budget. I wouldn't call it believability. I know full-well the Na'vi aren't real, yet I can still buy into it the same way its possible to buy into a book or a game.

BUT! My point also was Nimoy has done other fantastic things, like be in Fringe.

And this...

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XC73PHdQX04?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XC73PHdQX04?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Ahh, i haven't really watched it through to the end and watch the credits in a while :p so was going out on a guess, rather than google search the answer i have masses of paperwork to do lol the joys of work eh?

RivaOni said:
The Bay films have some nice nods, but its mostly the product placement that does my head in really.

This is kind of a moot argument with regards to Transformers (and indeed many fandoms originating from a toyline, He-man and GI Joe for example). The entire mythos is designed for the sole purpose of selling the toys, so calling the film out for product placement is basically like saying water is wet =P

Sparrowsabre7 said:
RivaOni said:

This is kind of a moot argument with regards to Transformers (and indeed many fandoms originating from a toyline, He-man and GI Joe for example). The entire mythos is designed for the sole purpose of selling the toys, so calling the film out for product placement is basically like saying water is wet =P

Well no not really, because its now gone beyond selling the toys of which it shares its name and now features more product placement (much of which is needless) than a Bond movie.

Now, recognisable cars are to be expected, but there are long panning camera shots of cars like Fords Mustang, close-ups of badges, and thats just the cars, there's computers in there, XBox 360's, alcoholic drinks, junk food, Bay's own directorial history, hell you could kind of argue there's some Top Gun-esque Military advertising going on in there too, the Transformers films are essentially an extention of all the ads you get as you find your seat before the movie starts. It goes a long, long way beyond advertising toys.

Back