X Men; First class

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Tachi said:
Isn't that the doctor? wha tthe hell has he done to his son?! i remember them in the cerebro and patrick stewart is in a chair being controlled (not got to that bit yet) but i thought the son becomes deadpool? (not sure if i've remembered his name correctly or not... still half asleep lol)

I...just...what? XD

Liev Schreiber is Sabretooth in Origins. Danny Huston is Stryker, the man who creates Wolverine and Deadpool, Stryker in X2 is played by Brian Cox (glasses McBeardface).

Deadpool is created from Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) NOT Stryker's son. He only appears in Origins.

Stryker's son is the man in the wheelchair who's used to control Xavier. Styker gave him a lobotomy to make him controllable and uses his spinal fluid as a mind control agent (the acid stuff he uses on the back of people's necks).

Yeah i got there in the end lol. Finally finished origins and the last stand. In origins you actually see strykers son in some sort of frozen sleep (like austin powers)

Tachi said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Tachi said:
Isn't that the doctor? wha tthe hell has he done to his son?! i remember them in the cerebro and patrick stewart is in a chair being controlled (not got to that bit yet) but i thought the son becomes deadpool? (not sure if i've remembered his name correctly or not... still half asleep lol)

I...just...what? XD

Liev Schreiber is Sabretooth in Origins. Danny Huston is Stryker, the man who creates Wolverine and Deadpool, Stryker in X2 is played by Brian Cox (glasses McBeardface).

Deadpool is created from Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) NOT Stryker's son. He only appears in Origins.

Stryker's son is the man in the wheelchair who's used to control Xavier. Styker gave him a lobotomy to make him controllable and uses his spinal fluid as a mind control agent (the acid stuff he uses on the back of people's necks).

Yeah i got there in the end lol. Finally finished origins and the last stand. In origins you actually see strykers son in some sort of frozen sleep (like austin powers)

Yeah, plus about 10 other unnecessary cameos :p Wolverine is definitely the worst of the series. I like it on a mindless action movie level, but as an X-men movie it's subpar. I hated how little the weapon x procedure affected logan despite it being portrayed as horrific in the previous films (sorry if I've said that before in the topic)

No worries, personally i've watched them all again now. What i did find funny what the fact that scott meets logan back when he's in high school.... in the first xmen 1, he doesn't even remember him (not even the voice if he never saw him) and 2, why was scott in high school and not at the xmen school? they don't gel well with each other. i like origins really, its a good action movie but doesn't really have the contingency it should (but then again filming a prequel is probably alot harder than we think)

one other thing that me and my mate where talking about on the way home from the gym was the fact that the leiv guy who was sabertooth (victor creed) in origins is far superior acting than the sabertooth from xmen 1, but back to the story, sabertooth can hardly talk in the first xmen and doesn't give any hints to remembering logan (despite only logan should be the only one with memory loss) either he's devolved in terms of being a cognative thinking human and become more and more animal like but its never really described how the hell victor went from being on side with stryker to then being on side with magnito.

Tachi said:
No worries, personally i've watched them all again now. What i did find funny what the fact that scott meets logan back when he's in high school.... in the first xmen 1, he doesn't even remember him (not even the voice if he never saw him) and 2, why was scott in high school and not at the xmen school? they don't gel well with each other. i like origins really, its a good action movie but doesn't really have the contingency it should (but then again filming a prequel is probably alot harder than we think)

one other thing that me and my mate where talking about on the way home from the gym was the fact that the leiv guy who was sabertooth (victor creed) in origins is far superior acting than the sabertooth from xmen 1, but back to the story, sabertooth can hardly talk in the first xmen and doesn't give any hints to remembering logan (despite only logan should be the only one with memory loss) either he's devolved in terms of being a cognative thinking human and become more and more animal like but its never really described how the hell victor went from being on side with stryker to then being on side with magnito.

"a good action movie but doesn't really have the contingency it should" do you mean consistency? :p

Yeah the Sabretooth thing is dumb. Some have suggested Victor and Sabretooth are not the same person, since he's never called Sabretooth in Origins (though he is credited as him I think) and I don't think Creed was WITH Stryker so much as he wanted to reunite with his Broverine and Stryker was the means to that end... I dunno.

Yeah, sorry i'm always half asleep untill 11am :p

I don't think it was to get in touch with wolverine, more that he made a deal with stryker to take down other mutants and collect samples to create deadpool and in return he gets the adamantium "treatment" that was given to wolverine (i suppose wolverine was a tester to see if it was possible or not) To say that the pair of them can't die unless they are decapitated, so if sabertooth isn't victor then where does victor go?

He does receive the standard Weapon X memory tampering, and he is found to be more prone to telepathy than his counterpart, Wolverine. In 1968, Creed, using the alias Sabretooth, works as a mercenary assassin in Saigon and is responsible for the murder of several prostitutes

Ahh... explains it

I really wish Wolverine Origins wasn't made. Wow, what a shockingly bad film.

Oh and I was reading New X-Men the other day and Beast went from Ape to Feline because he's devolving, apparently. I'd post the scan, but it's too much effort.

devolving?!

:S weird, i've spend the majority of the day reading through the back history of main characters on the xmen wikia.

Learnt so much more than i knew from just watching the 1980's and 2000 xmen cartoons.

tempted to go home and "coughs" get the 2000 series

Why not, like, read the comics? Never understood reading Wiki instead of reading/watching things. I still haven't finished Whedon's run on Astonishing yet.

Jaymii said:
Why not, like, read the comics?
Bear in mind there'll be about 73 different alternate universes (with a handful of retcons and divergent time-lines thrown in for good measure).

ayase said:
Bear in mind there'll be about 73 different alternate universes (with a handful of retcons and divergent time-lines thrown in for good measure).
Just go Ultimate Comics or follow individual runs (Astonishing, for example). Reading wiki descriptions of various people you don't know makes very little sense. Of course, just sticking to Earth 616 stuff is probably the easiest for them too even with the long histories (that I don't necessarily have a problem with).

(You know about the DC reboot? ...)

That's probably not a bad suggestion. I was following Ultimate several years ago (have the first four hardcovers, should probably try and track down the rest) and seemed straightforward in it's approach. I kinda preferred Grant Morrison's New X-Men at the time though. I've let comics fall largely by the wayside since then, and I only really pick up interesting looking one-shots now.

Oh, and this passage from the Wiki article on New X-Men (not the one I was looking for) sums up exactly what infuriates me about superhero comics:

New X-Men was a superhero comic book series published by Marvel Comics within the X-Men franchise. After the end of Grant Morrison's run on X-Men (vol. 2), titled New X-Men, the title was used for a new series, New X-Men: Academy X, serving as a continuation of the second volume of New Mutants. The title was later shortened to simply New X-Men.

New X-Men: Academy X was launched during the X-Men ReLoad event. It resumes directly where the most recent New Mutants series ended, with the same writers, artists, and cast of characters. The Academy X subtitle was dropped from the title when the new creative team of Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost took over the series with issue #20.
Derpy_id.png

Jaymii said:
ayase said:
Just go Ultimate Comics or follow individual runs (Astonishing, for example). Reading wiki descriptions of various people you don't know makes very little sense. Of course, just sticking to Earth 616 stuff is probably the easiest for them too even with the long histories (that I don't necessarily have a problem with).

(You know about the DC reboot? ...)

There's nothing wrong with reading wiki to get a characters background. Otherwise how would anyone know where to even begin? Or even if a comic has Beast in it for example. Even individual runs can be massively time consuming. Plus Ultimate Comics are separate from classic Marvel so that just confuses matters.

I understand what you're getting at though; if it's just a movie or book fair enough, but comic books are so disjointed for the most part trying to read up enough for a single character rarely works. Sometimes you'll get lucky and there's a specific trade collecting one character but for the most part the volume is too great to even consider just diving right in with zero prep.

The Ultimate universe is even starting to get like this, what with 10 years worth + of stories now gone by, bt still not so much as to be unmanageable (I've read all the Ultimate comics out there just about, but it took bloody ages).

I just tend to jump in, or read the backgrounds on the first issues or similar. I've never been one for wiki reading though (in any form), and I guess if people people don't mind it that's their choice. I do agree though, it is ridiculous and often bizarre. I don't understand the logic of having ten million lines of one character, but it may work in a business/choose your own canon sense. Hrm.

Due to naivety, I've found that a lot of comics do have just enough exposition for newcomers to jump in. I think that's a bit ingrained in itself, like Eastenders or something; they work best to those who follow them but there's just enough to satisfy a random reader. Most of the time.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
There's nothing wrong with reading wiki to get a characters background. Otherwise how would anyone know where to even begin?
You're right! It's a good job effort-free wiki-based information has always been around for everything ever, how would people have even known how to cross the street!

Effort-free info = worthless and exposable.

Don't get me wrong, i know back history of the characters from back when 1992 - 1997 x-men cartoon was on fox kids.
xmen.jpg

And even watched the evolution series in the 2000's
X-Men-Evolution-cast.jpg

But never had chance to read the comics, i did however, start to read the spiderman comics in 2000 when they where published. i got as far as 20? before my local newsagents stopped selling them (and i think went onto the jackie chan comics... which i also collected :p )
1-2.jpg

The real question is why did they make Wolverine the strongest character in MvC3? How could he possibly beat Dormammu and such?!

ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
There's nothing wrong with reading wiki to get a characters background. Otherwise how would anyone know where to even begin?
You're right! It's a good job effort-free wiki-based information has always been around for everything ever, how would people have even known how to cross the street!

Effort-free info = worthless and exposable.

Sarcasm. Helpful. I'm not saying we'd never get by without them, I'm just saying it's more expedient. Plus it means I can read up all the fuss on "A Serbian Film" without having to subject myself to watching something which would almost certainly make me feel sick to watch.

Overall it's more fun to get the story drip fed to you in comics (and manga) and the suspense of a cliff hanger leaves you aching for the next weeks volume. However, for those who don't have the time, or money to go through the back history and read through everything. Its simply easier to read a wikia and get the same information, compacted down into a chronological order and gives you the outline of whats happening in the story. True it may not be as fun, but its information. Personally i'd love to go back in time and read through the original comics, sadly my lifespan just wouldn't go back far enough to the beginning of the story. So simply put, reading through a wikia about something is more convenient for me.

Its not as if i don't know anything about it, i've watched hundreds of hours of xmen in various forms. But its nice to learn new things that i missed through the fact of not being alive at the time that they happened. True enough i could buy the comics from yesteryear, but as i said before there's a cost implication to that and i don't have the money to spare on such a pursuit.

Tachi said:
Overall it's more fun to get the story drip fed to you in comics (and manga) and the suspense of a cliff hanger leaves you aching for the next weeks volume. However, for those who don't have the time, or money to go through the back history and read through everything. Its simply easier to read a wikia and get the same information, compacted down into a chronological order and gives you the outline of whats happening in the story. True it may not be as fun, but its information. Personally i'd love to go back in time and read through the original comics, sadly my lifespan just wouldn't go back far enough to the beginning of the story. So simply put, reading through a wikia about something is more convenient for me.

Its not as if i don't know anything about it, i've watched hundreds of hours of xmen in various forms. But its nice to learn new things that i missed through the fact of not being alive at the time that they happened. True enough i could buy the comics from yesteryear, but as i said before there's a cost implication to that and i don't have the money to spare on such a pursuit.

Well said. There are also a bunch of reference books regarding the Marvel universe, but, by dint of being books, become dated quickly and thus the newest information is often lost.

Plus wikis are useful for stuff you have no interest in reading but want the coressponding info for. e.g. I don't read current Marvel comics (except Ultimate stuff), but I like to stay abreast of what's going on, so wikis are useful for that.

Still disagree loads, and for all the advertising Wiki is getting around these parts I do find it funny that Tach posted huge pictures instead of just hyperlinking.

And... even though they cancelled Spectacular Spider-man (which I loved!!!) the new show looks terrific too. Anybody seen it? It's called Ultimate Spider-man and takes history from the Ults and the rest.

Back