Your viewing journal

ayase said:
Rosencrantz said:
The L vs R issue plagues a lot of stuff, they went for Kallen. I find it somewhat annoying that you moan about that an then butcher C.C's name, (pronounced 'C two')
Well that's another thing, it should be written like that then: C2 or C-two. You don't say "This car has a 1600 C2 engine" or "J R2 Tolkien" do you? Do you really find that annoying? You're welcome to find my sense of humour annoying but please don't take my comments the wrong way and think I'm some sort of whingeing uber-otaku who honestly gets uptight about these things. I mean I am quite annoyed, but more at the stupidity of everyone else in the world, constantly. Which for some inexplicable reason endears me to people, and as it's pretty much the only thing that does I don't intend to stop.

I'll not deny that saying and reading her name is quite the pain, took a fair while to train myself to read it correctly :p

I think perhaps we've run into the inherant weakness of text, I can't tell what your intent is clearly from your words alone, possibly coloured by your avatar giving off an angry vibe.

Last edited by a moderator:
ayase said:
Code Geese: Lulus of the Rebellion 1-5

Seriously, it's Karen. The Japanese written text translates as Karen. It sounds like Karen. Karen is an actual name. I don't care how it's written in English in Japanese publications, they get things wrong all the time. Kallen is a ridiculous bit of translation and whoever was responsible for it should actually be shot as a warning to other translators.

For some bizarre reason I can't use spoiler tags in my reply; please see the following post for a paragraph of text which is supposed to go here.

I liked the show more than I was expecting but not to the extent where it particularly stuck with me. Having said that, I have the BD of the new OAV on the way ^^;

R, who always thought people were drawing a weird smiley when they wrote C.C's name in English back when the show first aired...

Addition:

I thought this too for ages, but after watching the show I decided to just go with it because her name ends up being a plot point, and I like to imagine that writing it with the mangled, exotic spelling masks its origin as a Japanese-friendly word, the same way that a Japanese person might pick a weird romanisation of their name when they are in the west in real life to fit in better. The fact that Karen also happens to be a perfect fit as a name in either language would normally be convenient, but maybe it was a deliberate choice to mask that? I thought they had got so much right in terms of the westernised names for everyone else that it seemed weird Kallen's name stood out.

R

starting tomorrow

inuyasha

im not sure how many episodes il watch at a time each day but il do my best to watch this series.

my loooooonnnnnng start to watching the long series, starting with inuyasha has begun.

Rui said:
Addition:

I thought this too for ages, but after watching the show I decided to just go with it because her name ends up being a plot point, and I like to imagine that writing it with the mangled, exotic spelling masks its origin as a Japanese-friendly word, the same way that a Japanese person might pick a weird romanisation of their name when they are in the west in real life to fit in better. The fact that Karen also happens to be a perfect fit as a name in either language would normally be convenient, but maybe it was a deliberate choice to mask that? I thought they had got so much right in terms of the westernised names for everyone else that it seemed weird Kallen's name stood out.

R

A quick internet search reveals that Kallen is a perfectly usable name

http://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-kallen-59815.htm

28 Kallen's in the US in 2002, well before Geass was released. Your right that it may be a deliberate choice/hint towards her origins though.

Kallen's name never bothered me to be honest. But while we're on the topic of unreal names in Code Geass....Is Lelouch even a name? Or Nunnally?

Space Brothers - Episode 43

Robotics;Notes - Episode 15

Zone of the Enders: Dolores, i - Episode 15

This really is a middle of the road show, there's nothing that bad about it but at the same time there's nothing that good about it either!!

Joshawott said:
Kallen's name never bothered me to be honest. But while we're on the topic of unreal names in Code Geass....Is Lelouch even a name? Or Nunnally?

They have a posh background so having bonkers names is allowed :D

R

Rui said:
Joshawott said:

They have a posh background so having bonkers names is allowed :D

R

Yep, lets face it, when your dads the Emperor of a big bit of the world people don't question the names your given.

--

On the watching front

Shiki 1-8 over the last 2 days

I've gotten many false starts on Gundam, but i'm going to start watching Gundam Zeta soon.

Also watching Oh! My Goddess, and maybe Yu-Gi-Oh! and UL-TI-MATE MUSCLE!!!

ayase said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
the two leads are opposite sides of a really, really annoying coin. The theatrically smug one and the intolerably sanctimonious one. Ugh.
Hmm, that doesn't sound so promising. I'm certainly getting a bit of a politician vibe from Suzaku but I thought Lulu might turn out to be a decent guy. We'll see.
If you didn't hate the two of the from the get-go, like I did, you'll probably be fine on that count.

-----

Baka & Test S2 eps. 1-2

If the first two episodes are any indication of how the rest will play out, this series should've been called merely "Baka". Because so far there has been a lot of stupidity, while the avatar battles that went a long way to distinguishing the first series are conspicuously absent. What does that leave us with? Two largely turgid episodes of generic harem junk. We've got the requisite beach episode, in which the girls lament their bust sizes (oh my aching sides); and the requisite festival episode, though this one at least changes things up in the second half with the boys, in drag, entering a beauty contest. The girls assault the boys for every indiscretion, Muttsulini has his epic nosebleeds and faux-dramatic death speeches, and everyone shouts a lot. Maybe one series of this was enough.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ayase said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
the two leads are opposite sides of a really, really annoying coin. The theatrically smug one and the intolerably sanctimonious one. Ugh.
Hmm, that doesn't sound so promising. I'm certainly getting a bit of a politician vibe from Suzaku but I thought Lulu might turn out to be a decent guy. We'll see.
If you didn't hate the two of the from the get-go, like I did, you'll probably be fine on that count.

-----

Baka & Test S2 eps. 1-2

If the first two episodes are any indication of how the rest will play out, this series should've been called merely "Baka". Because so far there has been a lot of stupidity, while the avatar battles that went a long way to distinguishing the first series are conspicuously absent. What does that leave us with? Two largely turgid episodes of generic harem junk. We've got the requisite beach episode, in which the girls lament their bust sizes (oh my aching sides); and the requisite festival episode, though this one at least changes things up in the second half with the boys, in drag, entering a beauty contest. The girls assault the boys for every indiscretion, Muttsulini has his epic nosebleeds and faux-dramatic death speeches, and everyone shouts a lot. Maybe one series of this was enough.
I wouldn't be so worried if I were you, there's a few episodes soon where they try to peek in the girls bathroom and every teacher/girl tries to stop them. Turns into another Avatar fight thingy.
Other than that, if I remember correctly the avatar battles do take a bit more of a back seat in the second season, not that I'm complaining though.

Code Geese 6-8

Okay, refusing to acknowledge responsibility for the failure of your own plan which cost people their lives in one episode, then claiming the moral high ground over terrorists because they endangered people's lives in the next is not so cool Lulu.

Teo was right about no genre being left unturned, ep. 6 was pretty much straight-up high school comedy, then this. I had an odd sense of deja vu...

Back