Manga Ent. license 11 new Funimation anime series for UK

Aion said:
The only type of anime I refuse to watch is the yaoi kind, and that's because I get no enjoyment seeing one man ram his tongue down the throat of another due to my sexual orientation. But, apart from yaoi themed stuff, I wouldn't avoid watching an anime just because of the age group its aimed at or the content.

Fair enough but if I ever said "If 'Horny Guy Baby Oil Sexy Harrassment Action 3' doesn't interest you then quitting anime is a good plan." you'd be justified in telling me I'm being a bitch ;) that sentence got me fired up too.

For me, and many others, sexual orientation is less a concern than "taste orientation" when picking an anime to pick up. But again that's just down to the individual, not something they should be condemned for.

R

That sentence wasn't the most serious that will ever leave me finger. I had been winding up Fabio about his taste and that was a continuation of me pulling his leg, but I probably took it a bit too far. :)

I'll drop this now before/in case it becomes silly.

Going back to what I first said when I entered the thread: I'm looking forward to owning Claymore and looking forward to the DtB DVD releases providing me with the motivation required to complete the series. I haven't watched Claymore since it aired, so I'll get a lot out of re-watching it whenever the box set is released.

Have Manga said anything about how these series will be released - will the packaging mirror Funimations releases in the US?
It'd be nice at times like this if Jerome had stayed around. Why he decided to make himself available for questions and then run away before answering one is a bit of a mystery...

Manga has been (surprisingly) very good about packaging lately so hopefully half season or season sets are possibilities. I quite like the Bleach/Death Note styles too. Of course since those are major mainstream titles they can afford to play around a little more.

I can't imagine in any reality that stuff like Save Me Lollipop is going to sell a single copy as full priced singles over here so hopefully they've planned for this already and will use an appropriate price point. DtB, Claymore and all might be popular enough for them to experiment with. Pity they don't talk to us very much.

For me Ouran is pretty much a guaranteed buy but JOS will depend on the release format. Might also be tempted by xxxHolic if the price is right.

R

The first Bleach box set pleased me. I'm a lover a thinpack sets; they're small, have lots of artwork and each DVD having a case makes the set seem more expensive. They did the same with their Saikano release and I feel the same way about that.

I'm a bit worried about the Death Note set, though. If Manga have to copy Viz when it comes to box sets, they'll have to split the series in half and release the series in two. That isn't good when you can already get 2 volumes together for a cheap amount - I've been waiting for a complete collection. If Manga do go with a complete thinpack collection, it'd be awesome since that would mean we'd get all the R1 DVD artwork.

I'm confident both Claymore and DtB will get complete collection sets since they're standard 24-26 episode. Death Note is more worrying due to it being a 37 episode series.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Dave said:
How do you now its poor series until read or watched it.
Did I say that Claymore was a "poor series"? Did anyone? What I said was that much of what I've read, even by people who like it, suggests that it has been done better by anime and manga I already own. Time and money are finite and I'd rather buy something else. The end.

What does "I've heard it described as "Berserk-lite". If that's the case, I may as well spend the money on Berserk manga. Plus, Shonen Jump" mean if not an insult at claymore and shonen jump. Also saying its not worth reading as even slightest resemblance to berserk, that frankly quite stupid it like saying well I like Gundam but i won't watch marcoss, evangelion, nadesico, etc as it has slight resemblance gundam. You must have collection of anime 5 series lol.

But taking titles like claymore or hunter x hunter as an examples they are no less violent than more adult targeted Manga/Anime around.
So maturity=violence? Right. It's a waste of time speaking with you, then. If it upsets people that I have no interest in their favourite shows, they are free to send me the DVDs and I'll be glad to watch them... when I can be bothered.[/quote]

The majority of Seinen work has elements of physical/mental violence, it the extra extremes of this and sexual content that raises a title from shonen to seinen. The only seinen one top of my head which is non violent is "oh my goddess". Before you bring up well all shonen titles are fighting stories how do you explain something like Death Note.

To slag of title because it from shonen jump without experience it frankly makes you look like idiot. I also recommend to edit past post with swearing as they take a hard line on that ask aion about that 8)

Dave said:
What does "I've heard it described as "Berserk-lite". If that's the case, I may as well spend the money on Berserk manga. Plus, Shonen Jump" mean if not an insult at claymore and shonen jump.
It means - and listen carefully as I won't explain this again - that I have heard it described as "Berserk-lite". Not by myself, by others. How are you not getting that?

As for Shonen Jump, I have never liked a single show that started life in that magazine. Not one. Combined with what I've read in reviews and blogs and forum posts, I KNOW THAT I WILL NOT LIKE CLAYMORE. Edit: Note that I am not insulting Shonen anime and manga. It has its audience and its audience is, with a few exceptions, not me. That's it.

it the extra extremes of this and sexual content that raises a title from shonen to seinen.
And more complex plotting and characterization.

To slag of title because it from shonen jump without experience it frankly makes you look like idiot.
Good God. What is it with anime fans and reading comprehension?

Now I find half the posts in this thread funny.

Company A: "We license 11 anime!"

Fan A: "BUT DID YOU GET THE 15-MINUTE OVA PREQUEL?!"

Fan B: "DID YOU LICENSE SEASON 1.5 AND THE OMAKE DVD THAT WAS AVAILABLE TO PREORDERS IN JAPAN?!"

Company A: "Well we can't announce anything yet but..."

Fan C: "ARGH! MAKE SURE YOU LICENSE THE ANIMATED OPENINGS TO THE JAPAN-ONLY VIDEOGAME AND INCLUDE THEM ON THE FIRST DVD!"

Fan D: "YOU JERKS, NOW I CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE FANSUBS ANYMORE!"

I remember the 90's, though, when that conversation was a little more like this:

Company A: "We licensed 11 anime!"
Fans: "Hooray!"

Dave said:
What does "I've heard it described as "Berserk-lite". If that's the case, I may as well spend the money on Berserk manga. Plus, Shonen Jump" mean if not an insult at claymore and shonen jump. Also saying its not worth reading as even slightest resemblance to berserk, that frankly quite stupid it like saying well I like Gundam but i won't watch marcoss, evangelion, nadesico, etc as it has slight resemblance gundam. You must have collection of anime 5 series lol.

The majority of Seinen work has elements of physical/mental violence, it the extra extremes of this and sexual content that raises a title from shonen to seinen. The only seinen one top of my head which is non violent is "oh my goddess". Before you bring up well all shonen titles are fighting stories how do you explain something like Death Note.

Sorry to be rude but you really have to listen to what other people are saying sometimes and you were pretty rude yourself up there to FL. Why do you care so much that two people with different taste than you don't want to watch one particular series when there are thousands out there we can never watch in our lifetimes we might prefer?

Have you ever read any romance series aimed at males aside from AMG? I can list dozens of non-fighting shounen series just off the top of my head, but even more non-violent seinen. As well as the plethora of romance series out there, you have science fiction, comedy and those series I don't quite get that never really go anywhere like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. I find seinen (well, aside from the relaxing category like the last one) much more appealing than shounen, though I like both. In moderation. I am a lot less tolerant of by-the-numbers shounen though due to my age and experience reading their predecessors hundreds of times before.

It's nothing to do with extremes of sex or violence, it's just what appeals to people of that age group. Sure those qualities do but so do the calm vaguely moe stories that make the reader feel at peace. I am not in that group. Perhaps FL isn't - I don't know. But I don't think people who wouldn't pick up something aimed squarely at me can complain at me avoiding something aimed squarely at them. Geez.

By the way, as a pretty strong woman myself I tend to dislike shows about "strong women" written by guys more often than not (see: GITS). There are more ways to be strong than the brutally obvious sword-waving or gun-toting manner. I wouldn't call Yoko from Gurren Lagann for example a strong female inspiration even though I love her and she is quite powerful when the plot requires it. She's still mostly there for plot and because the audience prefers to look at a woman bending over firing guns than a big hairy man. I restate that this is my personal view and you're more than entitled to read Claire (or whatever she's called?) or the Major as strong and enjoy that. It just doesn't quite gel for me.

The lady in my avatar is an anime woman I consider strong despite her series being comedic. And coincidentally, her series was written by and aimed at women.

Aion: Agree with you in that thinpacks would be nice. No loose discs in transit and they feel more expensive somehow than bricks.

R

EpicLulz said:
I remember the 90's, though, when that conversation was a little more like this:

I still live in that time warp inside. Though I do think some of their choices were a bit weird this time (cheap I guess, and worth a try!). I suppose you can't fault the selection for being a pretty diverse mix of titles with action, harem, fantasy, shoujo, bones, clamp...all over the place. Hope they do ok.

R

The only ones i'm mildly interested in are Ouran and Negima.

But honestly...I doubt i'll get them. Maybe Ouran, but there are many other series that deserve my money more.

HOLYSHIT, FEMALES WHO AREN'T TOTALLY HUMAN WITH HUGE SWORDS THAN RIVAL CLOUD'S FROM FINAL FANTASY SEVEN, SO COOL! OMFG, SHE CUTS UP MONSTERS WHICH EAT HUMANS AND SHE'S PART MONSTER HERSELF, PLOT TWEEST. WHOA, THERE'S A CONSPIRACY ON THE ORIGIN OF CLAYMORES AND CONNECTS THEM TO AWAKENED BEINGS WHICH ARE LIKE THE BOSSES OF THE SERIES.

That's pretty much Claymore, I enjoyed it, but it's just Berserk for the kids.

EpicLulz said:

But perhaps these days people are less inclined to buy anime simply because it's anime. Very few people are going to buy something they don't like the look of or, to address one of your other critisisms that they can import a better version of which is something I've been saying for a while. Luckily Manga (and perhaps Beez if things continue the way they are) seem to be addressing this issue now by offering us something different / better. We'll see what becomes of these releases. Sadly none of them interest me particularly (and yes, before anyone decries me not giving them a chance I have looked them up and read about them). Sorry for not having the same tastes as other people. :roll:

ayase said:
But perhaps these days people are less inclined to buy anime simply because it's anime. Very few people are going to buy something they don't like the look of or, to address one of your other critisisms that they can import a better version of which is something I've been saying for a while. Luckily Manga (and perhaps Beez if things continue the way they are) seem to be addressing this issue now by offering us something different / better. We'll see what becomes of these releases. Sadly none of them interest me particularly (and yes, before anyone decries me not giving them a chance I have looked them up and read about them). Sorry for not having the same tastes as other people. :roll:

Noo you must buy and watch all 11 before you decide whether you want to buy and watch them!

Sorry, I shouldn't troll. Ahem.

R

Well as usual anything from that list I am interested in is already on my pre-orders from the US. Infact some Ghost Hunt, xxxHolic and Sasami are already here. Still in two minds over Ouran though, may wait for complete collection box set some time.

...what the?

Whats with the big arguement about Claymore? I thought it was rubbish anyway. Ah well, time to take the advice and quite anime forever.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Dave said:
What does "I've heard it described as "Berserk-lite". If that's the case, I may as well spend the money on Berserk manga. Plus, Shonen Jump" mean if not an insult at claymore and shonen jump.
It means - and listen carefully as I won't explain this again - that I have heard it described as "Berserk-lite". Not by myself, by others. How are you not getting that?

As for Shonen Jump, I have never liked a single show that started life in that magazine. Not one. Combined with what I've read in reviews and blogs and forum posts, I KNOW THAT I WILL NOT LIKE CLAYMORE. Edit: Note that I am not insulting Shonen anime and manga. It has its audience and its audience is, with a few exceptions, not me. That's it.

it the extra extremes of this and sexual content that raises a title from shonen to seinen.
And more complex plotting and characterization.

To generalize the whole shonen media as being poor and not complex enough is completely is idotic statement

Saying that with titles like Barefoot Gen, Death Note, Devilman, GetBackers or Neon Genesis Evangelion as not having complex plotting and characterization is absolutely stupid.

To refuse even try to read a manga because it from shonen jump reeks of the childish attitude as it not seinen it must completely devoid of depth.

I read both Berserk & Claymore they have some similarity with the medievel setting and both on journey of revenge. They both fill a similar void if you like one you certaintly find something to enjoy in the other.

If you don't like shonen fighting titles so much why do you like berserk, which is frankly one most similar senien to shonen fighting style:

A lead character on journey to get stronger, to defeat an enemy currently out of his league while defeating bunch of lesser enemy which make him stronger. Taging along with him is other characters which incase offer comical relief, emotion value or help fighting a similar cause support him later battles. That incredibly to similar plot line for most shonen mangas.

The line between a shonen title and seinen is incredibly thin, a title is classed as shonen/seien only by the style of manga anthology it published in, to generalise one or other with out reading shows ignorance.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Dave said:
To slag of title because it from shonen jump without experience it frankly makes you look like idiot.
Good God. What is it with anime fans and reading comprehension?

You are dismissing title without putting the effort to read it and where it published, that is idiocy.

Rui: On subject of rudeness he has dismissed whole genre and is refusing reading a single shonen title as it from shonen magazine and is swearing like 5 year old who just learned them at playground.

I enjoy varity of manga/animes types and you don't see me demising titles i have not read/watched. I really enjoyed sailor moon anime uncut for example but i didn't enjoy watching kimba white lion as an example but it least i put the effort into watching the title to get fair view on it.

Back