Manga Ent. license 11 new Funimation anime series for UK

Well, at least David, who should be banned along with CitizenGeek, is attempting to talk and not just telling people to **** off. I, of course, would never do such a thing.

Dave said:
To generalize the whole shonen media as being poor and not complex enough is completely is idotic statement

Saying that with titles like Barefoot Gen, Death Note, Devilman, GetBackers or Neon Genesis Evangelion as not having complex plotting and characterization is absolutely stupid.

To refuse even try to read a manga because it from shonen jump reeks of the childish attitude as it not seinen it must completely devoid of depth.

He/she said "Shounen Jump" and directly mentioned the magazine numerous times. Shounen Jump itself thrives and encourages its series having certain properties, which to its fans are amazing and to people who have seen it before might be a turn off. Of that list only Death Note (and Gen if we travel back much farther in time to before the shounen cliches which FL doesn't like were in such evidence anyway) is even from Shounen Jump and whilst I personally loved it, perhaps FL did not. It's exciting but it's not for everyone. So what if he didn't?

I notice you persistently ignore my homoeroticism focused magazine comparison. Interesting. We must like what you like, but you can just ignore what I like as you please. Double standards aren't cool.

Also, you know there are more categories than just those aimed at blokes, right? Right? And although all Shounen Jump manga is shounen, not all shounen is from Shounen Jump.

Dave said:
I read both Berserk & Claymore they have some similarity with the medievel setting and both on journey of revenge. They both fill a similar void if you like one you certaintly find something to enjoy in the other.

If you don't like shonen fighting titles so much why do you like berserk, which is frankly one most similar senien to shonen fighting style:

And most adventure stories in general. The tone of Berserk is different. Perhaps what you like about it is similar to Claymore so you can get a kick out of both. Perhaps I like it for different reasons. FL directly stated already that the annoying thing about Shounen Jump fights specifically is that the characters stop and give exposition midfight and play by silly rules. Berserk is brutal, and I'm not talking about the violence level alone. It leaves me feeling I've taken an emotional kick to the gut after reading it. I do not think Claymore will do that to me personally.

If you disagree, whining at people won't convince them to try it anyway so you lose either way. If anything you're convincing me that Claymore is for people who cannot see other people's points of view and have problems thinking laterally - so I'd probably hate it. Ta.

Dave said:
Rui: On subject of rudeness he has dismissed whole genre and is refusing reading a single shonen title as it from shonen magazine and is swearing like 5 year old who just learned them at playground.

I enjoy varity of manga/animes types and you don't see me demising titles i have not read/watched. I really enjoyed sailor moon anime uncut for example but i didn't enjoy watching kimba white lion as an example but it least i put the effort into watching the title to get fair view on it.

How hard is it to understand that:

1. We do not have time to watch every anime ever. Nor do you. I'll die before I even see 10% of it.
2. We are experienced enough to recognise obvious signs we will hate something.
3. Nobody insulted Claymore particularly at all until the Claymore Fanclub started being rude to other fans for having different taste to them. You're causing the bashing of the series yourselves. FL and I haven't even seen it before - we're not bashing any content directly at all!
4. What "demising" anyway? I thought "demonising" but I can't be too sure.
5. I'd comment on the irony of you questioning the maturity of other forum posters from their typing style but I think that would be a cheap shot in the circumstances.

R

Look, for the love of Allah, can you all please stop typing such serious posts over nothing?

I made a fairly obvious wind-up comment. I then said that people who judge/attack stuff before trying piss me off. The end.

Shounen Jump manga is obviously aimed at a young audience but lots of the series in it have a lot of worth. Death Note, for example, has become one of the biggest and most highly rated titles in existence, it it deals with very serious themes. I don't like people who haven't even watched it for more than 5 minutes attacking it - Is that a crime?

As for homosexual and shounen taste not being different, seeing lots of fight sequences doesn't make a person feel disgusted. Seeing two men getting it on does, in my case, make me feel a tad uncomfortable. Simple taste differences and wanting to avoid seeing man-on-man action are just a little different.

Aion: I'm not particularly mad at you over this, and you acknowledge that you judge things too even indirectly which is all I need - you assume you won't like seeing two guys get it on because you know you don't like that, and I assume I'll like Claymore less than 100s of other series because I can tell from experience too.

I'm just responding to Dave because he's refusing to move on with his life and accept people with different opinions about things ;(

R

Dave said:
You are dismissing title without putting the effort to read it and where it published, that is idiocy.

I shall now go and put in the effort to read Claymore to see if I want to read Claymore!

Wait... WHUT?!

Talking on the Internet, people regress. It's that simple."
That's how Holland begins his paper. And then he proceeds to back up his statement with an intriguing psychoanalytic (emphasizing drive theory) analysis of what he considers the three major signs of regressive behavior in cyberspace: flaming, sexual harrassment, and (curiously) the extraordinary generosity and openness you sometimes see on the internet. He then traces these regressions to the transference reactions people have to the computer itself - unconscious fantasies about power, dominance, sex, narcissistic gratification and mirroring, oral engulfment, and parental acceptance and love. At the heart of the regression is the individual's tendency to confuse the person and the machine. In cyberspace the user sees the computer as human and other people as something less than human - resulting in a disinhibition of sexual and aggressive acting out.

Holland's arguments are both fascinating and convincing. There is no doubt that people regress on the internet. Anyone who has been consumed by a flame war or visited some of the more outlandish "alt" newsgroups will attest to that. Cyberspace weds the highest intellectual functions and most primitive instincts of the human personality, as Holland suggests. It may also be a space wherein the more sublime aspects of humanity are expressed. Humans, by their very nature, are always looking for new ways to express themselves and connect to others, to find new media for creative activity, to expand their consciousness beyond its usual boundaries - and even to help others through generosity and honesty that transcends unconscious conflicts. Cyberspace can be a place where these things happen.

Between the lines of his analysis, Holland himself seems to be hinting at some of these ideas. He admits that he truly enjoys the internet. "I think it's something new and amazing and quite wonderful in the spectrum of human relations." In fact, he ends by saying that the internet is "fun." Perhaps that fun is not necessarily or always a sign of regression. Perhaps it can be a progression. In a Winnicottian sort of way, we can think of cyberspace as a space for playing - a playing with ideas, relationships, and personal identity in a realm somewhere between self and other, a realm of creativity, self-development, and maybe even self-transcendence.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO EGGGGGH

Aion said:
It's like Berserk, just with women making men look weak, none of the monster raping business and a decent budget. It has the same dark medieval feel that Berserk gives and it even has one of the best flashback stories ever - very much like Berserk.

It doesn't make you look more grown-up if you reject SJ titles just because they're SJ titles.
If that's Claymore... then it doesn't interest me. But Beserk certainly didn't interest me either.

Lupus Inu said:
HOLYSHIT, FEMALES WHO AREN'T TOTALLY HUMAN WITH HUGE SWORDS THAN RIVAL CLOUD'S FROM FINAL FANTASY SEVEN, SO COOL! OMFG, SHE CUTS UP MONSTERS WHICH EAT HUMANS AND SHE'S PART MONSTER HERSELF, PLOT TWEEST. WHOA, THERE'S A CONSPIRACY ON THE ORIGIN OF CLAYMORES AND CONNECTS THEM TO AWAKENED BEINGS WHICH ARE LIKE THE BOSSES OF THE SERIES.

That's pretty much Claymore, I enjoyed it, but it's just Berserk for the kids.
Now I'm really not interested, There's far too many series and movies like that. Angel and Blade come to mind.

Though I've never liked Fanstasy monster series in anime.

Most of those I haven't heard of, though my Friend reccommended Ouran High School Host Club but as always I'm not one to download series if they're likely to be released here. Only the really bad ones that probably won't be accepted. What I am looking forward to is Negima Series 2 and I also heard word through the manga author that there was a Live action of Negima starting in Japan. I really don't know how that will work.

Maltos said:
Dave said:
You are dismissing title without putting the effort to read it and where it published, that is idiocy.

I shall now go and put in the effort to read Claymore to see if I want to read Claymore!

Wait... WHUT?!
Yea... this line of thinking will drive people insane. my view is that if I haven't heard of it, either through Neo or through the small percentage of my friends who are anime fans then it isn't worth my interest. I may glance through the pages if I see the manga, read the blurb if I see it as a DVD but when it hasn't been released here yet, there's not even any reason for me to be interested cause I can't get it anyway.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Aion said:
I then said that people who judge/attack stuff before trying piss me off.
To not be interested in something is to judge and/or attack it now?

You're smart enough to know what you're doing when you add 'Shounen Jump **** isn't good enough for me' comments whenever you talk about an anime based on a SJ manga.

It bothered me how you rejected SJ titles just because they're SJ titles since, as you've pointed out, I like SJ series a lot. However, I was only really messing around playfully with my comments until you told me to **** off. It's too bad you had to be more of a dick than me; a fully qualified dickhead. :D

Anyway, I apologize for causing an argument with my comments over nothing. I'll end this by simply saying that Claymore is a series I recommend highly to people who enjoy stories set in the medieval period, swords, women not being used for fan service for once, excellent fights and terrific music.

Aion said:
You're smart enough to know what you're doing when you add 'Shounen Jump **** isn't good enough for me' comments whenever you talk about an anime based on a SJ manga.
I have never said anything to that effect. Please provide examples or just stop this crap. I don't want this nonsense to carry on but I won't stand people blatently lying.

It bothered me how you rejected SJ titles just because they're SJ titles since
Hear that noise? It's me banging my head against the nearest wall.

I take you don't see adding "Plus Shounen Jump *sad face*" to the end of your sentence about Claymore as you generalizing all SJ titles as poor just because they're SJ titles, then?

You know full well that whenever I've brought up anything connected to SJ you have made a comment like you did in this thread. Whether something you meant to do or not, you still seem to attempt to degrade anything connected to SJ.

Let me just repeat: I never intended to turn this into a daft SJ argument. I was playful at first and, well...

Aion said:
I take you don't see adding "Plus Shounen Jump *sad face*" to the end of your sentence about Claymore as you generalizing all SJ titles as poor just because they're SJ titles, then?
No I don't. It means - as I have already explained - that I have never liked anything that started life in the pages of SJ. If I was dismissing anime on that basis alone, why would I have actively sought out reviews of Claymore? Why would I have watched a few episodes of Bleach when it aired on Anime Central? And why would I have bought the first volume of Death Note? It's your over-sensitivity to (perceived) criticism of things you like that's the problem.

Again, provide examples - not one vague statement - where I have said that SJ titles are "poor", or that they are "below" me. Your argument has no basis, has been thoroughly taken apart by Rui, and so you resort to putting words in my mouth. Not cool.

For heaven's sake, I probably love Shounen Jump far more than most and even I can see that FL is expressing an opinion, not just saying it flat out sucks.

I love Shounen Jump (when I'm not burned out). I lap up Togashi. I played the Hokuto No Ken OP at my wedding. My DS is never far from my Jump Ultimate Stars cart. I'm buying the Naruto fillers, and liking it. My keychain is currently Ryuk. My husband and I karaoked We Are as we made dinner an hour ago. I have a Gintama t-shirt. And even I can see this is just a matter of taste.

Uh oh, think my street credibility vanished somewhere too :D

R

I haven't even read the majority of Rui's posts - she was arguing with Dave; not me. And anyway, why are you so proud of having someone else fight your battle for you? I'd personally be rather embarrassed if my first reaction was to say "**** off" to someone I'd been speaking to for months and then left the actual argument to another person (although, as I said, I haven't really responded or read much of what Rui has posted).

I've never attempted to put words into your finger - its how I interpreted your SJ comments. If you don't make it clear what you're trying to say then it isn't my problem if I took your words in a way you didn't mean. I don't need to provide examples when the argument has only even been about the type of SJ comment you made in this thread, so stop please acting like like I need to quite you to prove anything.

This has become retarded very fast. All I wanted to get across was that it's wrong to judge things based on your own preconceptions; no more, no less. I'm fine with people judging Claymore after watching, but I'm not ok with someone simply going with a description someone else gave and acting like they know enough, which you did with your Berserk Lite rubbish.

I'm tiring of this. My apologies for wasting my time speaking with you.

Rui said:
I'm buying the Naruto fillers

...You're willing to pay actual money, as in the real kind, in order to see postmen ninja, cooking ninja and Tony the Tiger? Rather you than me!!!

My master plan is to only buy up the end of the VotE fight. Beyond that, I don't give a damn about Naruto.

Aion said:
And anyway, why are you so proud of having someone else fight your battle for you? I'd personally be rather embarrassed if my first reaction was to say "**** off" to someone I'd been speaking to for months and then left the actual argument to another person
Heh. Nice try. By the time Rui weighed in I'd said all I needed to, and have done repeatedly. I mean, how many times can I say the exact same thing before you actually listen? And what I said was totally justified after you expressed a desire to "slap me". Had you said that to my face I would have done more than swear at you.

Aion said:
I don't need to provide examples when the argument has only even been about the type of SJ comment you made in this thread, so stop please acting like like I need to quite you to prove anything.

So you can talk bollocks like that and I shouldn't expect you to provide examples? Riiight.

fabricatedlunatic said:
And what I said was totally justified after you expressed a desire to "slap me". Had you said that to my face I would have done more than swear at you.

What sort of ******* guy would seriously threaten to slap another guy? There's no hope for you if you took that as a manly e-threat.

Talking of threats, the bolded part did make me chuckle a little. This isn't going to end well if physical violence is threatened via a keyboard this early.

Back