The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Have to admit I'm surprised to see advertising from Animatsu - I wouldn't have thought they'd have the cash for it, especially after leaving the Starz stable - I wonder where they're getting the investment from?

But yeah, encouraging though - and a good way to open the brand and its titles up to new fans.

ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
ilmaestro said:
Oh, Japan only? What fun.
It's currently only been announced for Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC is made available worldwide. After all, we managed to get the Mario Kart 8 Mercedes Benz DLC despite that being tied to a Japanese ad campaign.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mercedes Benz has more of a global outlook to their business model than a small squid girl, even if she does keep on claiming that she wants to take over the world.
Like with Mario Kart 8's Mercedes Benz add-on content, Splatoon's Squid Girl DLC will also be made available as part of a free update, so I don't think the obscurity of the franchise will be much of an issue.

If Nintendo don't have the rights to release the DLC internationally though, I wonder how that could affect the legality of a compatibility patch? Considering that even if the DLC is doomed to be Japan-only, international games will need the data for online play purposes. So if they have the rights and it's going to be free anyway, why not just release it?

giphy.gif

There's going to be a Nichijou announcement on Shonen Ace - June 26th.

China have banned 38 anime shows for their goal to purify the internet.

Terror in Resonance
Blood-C
Highschool of the Dead
Ergo Proxy
Parasyte
The Skull Man
Another
Inferno Cop
Afro Samurai
Tokyo Ghoul √A
Sword Art Online II
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ravens
Devil May Cry
RIN - Daughters of Mnemosyne
The Testament of Sister New Devil
Attack on Titan
Corpse Party
Strike the Blood
Death Note
Deadman Wonderland
Date A Live II
Psycho-Pass
Devilman Lady
School Days
Those Who Hunt Elves
Elfen Lied
High School DxD
Samurai Bride
So, I Can't Play H!
Girls Bravo: Second Season
Kanokon
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
Sakura Diaries
Black Butler
Claymore
Dance in the Vampire Bund

It's funny, Death Note isn't even that Violent. The only thing I can think of is When Light gets shot at the end and that's pretty much the only scene I can think of. In the UK, all the discs but the last 2 are rated 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
NormanicGrav said:
Ooh, I really hope there is a new season or something.

Of course, it'd be nice if someone could finally get around to releasing that Blu-ray (hint hint, Anime Limited, hint hint). I wonder if the reason no one has released it yet is because Media Blasters still have the license and are holding onto it for the evulz.

Also, is it bad that I kind of want to buy those model sets then throw away the contents and keep the packaging? Actually the models look kind of cute too, maybe there's an anime in that. I could see them doing the whole "what is a friend?" thing... Or maybe "why did Timmy stop moving when I hugged him?".

Having the Devil May Cry anime banned might actually be merciful. The supernatural themes do seem to tie a lot of those series together, but to be honest China's random bannings of things doesn't always make sense. Many years ago my friend in China had to secretly purchase the original Japanese-language Hana Yori Dango books on the black market because it was seen as a bad influence and banned in her region. Hana Yori Dango. She'd go and talk to a guy at a stall and he'd nod and pull out a secret box of illicit shoujo romance stories hidden under the table, like some kind of backstreet drug dealer.

R

Smeelia said:
NormanicGrav said:
Ooh, I really hope there is a new season or something.

Of course, it'd be nice if someone could finally get around to releasing that Blu-ray (hint hint, Anime Limited, hint hint). I wonder if the reason no one has released it yet is because Media Blasters still have the license and are holding onto it for the evulz.

Also, is it bad that I kind of want to buy those model sets then throw away the contents and keep the packaging? Actually the models look kind of cute too, maybe there's an anime in that. I could see them doing the whole "what is a friend?" thing... Or maybe "why did Timmy stop moving when I hugged him?".
Bandai held the license for Nichijou not Media Blasters, and when they shut up shop all their licenses went back to the original holders (the madman release was unaffected because they didn't get their license via bandai).

Rui said:
Having the Devil May Cry anime banned might actually be merciful. The supernatural themes do seem to tie a lot of those series together, but to be honest China's random bannings of things doesn't always make sense. Many years ago my friend in China had to secretly purchase the original Japanese-language Hana Yori Dango books on the black market because it was seen as a bad influence and banned in her region. Hana Yori Dango. She'd go and talk to a guy at a stall and he'd nod and pull out a secret box of illicit shoujo romance stories hidden under the table, like some kind of backstreet drug dealer.

R

From my days playing World of Warcraft I understand they ban anything to do with Zombies or the undead, hence a lot of WoW stuff needing to be re-skinned for the China version. A fair few of those shows fall into that general area so it's not surprising they'd ban them.

Shiroi Hane said:
black1blade said:
The only amazing show on there is psycho pass imo.
There's a heck of a lot of blood in that show (seriously, is there any logical reason for the the "lethal" setting on those guns to be so messy?).

Most likely to make sure that there's no chance of them coming back and causing problems later on.

HMV webstore has relaunched.
http://store.hmv.com/

Hopefully anime gets back up there soon and gives Amazon a rival for pricing :) They used to be great before their administration online. (Plus PURE points too!)

Only anime I can find on Blu-Ray is the Ghibli films in the 2 for £25.

Back