The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Dannielle said:
Trust me, I have tried to talk to them about these sites but I can't seem to get through to them, they don't see it as morally wrong (which is what stopped me) or seem to care about the effect it has on the industry.

Urgh, I know how you feel Dannielle. I give away my CR codes on facebook, specificially the MCM groups as a large percentage of them use websites like that, and whilst I have managed to persuade several people to subscribe to CR, all these discussions do is get more people banned for posting illegal links ^^'

Which is good I guess, but I rather they would just stop using them all together.

ConanThe3rd said:
Viz UK aren't worth the air they breathe, to be perfectly frank. That said, if Viz titles are starting to FINALY show up on Comixology over here then that's great. Might double dip on Hero Academia as I really prefere Comix over WSJ's own client.

It's only WSJ on ComiXology, not the individual volumes. I got an email about it so CX seem to be giving it a fairly big push.

The Japanese Blu-ray release of Love Live! School Idol Movie will contain English subtitles.

Bandai Visual will release the film on Blu-ray in both limited and regular editions on December 15. The limited edition will cost 9,800 yen (about US$80.99), while the regular edition will cost 6,800 yen (about US$56).

The Season 1 and 2 Volumes also had English subtitles.

------------------

Neon Genesis Evangelion's re-release has launched with 22,775 copies sold on Blu-ray and 3,578 copies sold on DVD. The Blu-ray was ranked 1st (beating Disney's Short Films Collection that gained 14,779 Blu-ray copies) while the DVD was 6th.

Source (ANN: Blu-ray)
Source (ANN: DVD)

Neon Genesis Evangelion Sales Data:
Code:
Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu-ray Box - 22,775
Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD Box - 3,578
Total: 26,353

Franchise Total Unit Sales (in ranked order):
Code:
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - 197,453
2. Bakemonogatari - 112,434
3. Gundam SEED DESTINY - 93,271
4. Gundam SEED - 87,280
5. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - 84,257
6. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - 77,715
7. Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch - 75,575
8. Love Live! 2nd Season - 65,796
9. Nisemonogatari  - 65,043
10. Macross Frontier - 62,503

The above numbers (outside of Eva) are from shows released after the year 2000 since that's when Oricon started tracking.

Do you have a longer list of those Franchise Total Unit Sales? I'm sure there must be some recent stuff that's close to being in that Top 10 if you add up sales across all the component volumes - as stuff like KanColle and Shirobako is doing around 10,000 a volume.

AntAce said:
Is there still a large contingent of anime viewers that streams pirate copies - in 2015?

Sadly, yeah, people are still evidently availing themselves of piracy.

I recently left a Facebook group after one of its members started proudly posting photos of his dodgy Malaysian bootlegs, justifying them on the grounds that he doesn't 'have hundreds of pounds to spend on cartoons'. Which led to a discussion of the merits of piracy.

Guess what? He went on to post pictures of hundreds of pounds worth of bootlegs.

This is the problem. There are clearly still people out there who don't care about quality, the fact that they're receiving anime on DVD-Rs or will put up with crappy packaging and product o long as they can get more of it. But the fact that mentioning Crunchyroll makes them go slack jawed and mumble 'aaaawww yyyyeah!' means there's hope, I suppose.

Until they start complaining that Crunchyroll doesn't have enough shows for their liking, in spite of the fact that what's on there would still take them literally months if not years to watch.

Sense of entitlement + willful piracy has always been one of my biggest peeves.

Lutga said:
Do you have a longer list of those Franchise Total Unit Sales? I'm sure there must be some recent stuff that's close to being in that Top 10 if you add up sales across all the component volumes - as stuff like KanColle and Shirobako is doing around 10,000 a volume.

This is what it looks like without Evangelion. TV anime series with an average of at-least 10k across all volumes, including re-releases.
Code:
1. Bakemonogatari - 112,434
2. Gundam SEED DESTINY - 93,271
3. Gundam SEED - 87,280
4. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - 84,257
5. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - 77,715
6. Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch - 75,575
7. Love Live! 2nd Season - 65,796
8. Nisemonogatari  - 65,043
9. Macross Frontier - 62,503
10. Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 - 61,561

11. K-ON! - 56,772
12. Hagane no Renkinjutsushi - 55,398
13. Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Revolutions - 54,195
14. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (2009) - 53,052 
15. Fate/Zero - 52,217
16. Shingeki no Kyojin - 52,052
17. K-ON!! - 48,708
18. Fate/Zero Second Season - 46,301
19. Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 - 44,872
20. Monogatari Series Second Season - 42,130

21. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai - 41,848
22. Angel Beats - 41,638
23. Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 S2 - 40,120
24. Girls und Panzer - 38,709
25. Love Live! - 38,613
26. Lucky Star - 38,598
27. Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works - 38,452
28. Infinite Stratos - 37,113
29. Sword Art Online - 36,132
30. Fate/stay night - 35,463

Excluding re-releases:
Code:
1. Bakemonogatari - 79,201
2. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - 71,057
3. Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED DESTINY - 68,959
4. Love Live! 2nd Season - 65,796
5. Nisemonogatari - 60,709
6. Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED - 58,939
7. Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Revolutions - 54,195
8. Fate/Zero - 52,217
9. Shingeki no Kyojin - 52,052
10. Fate/Zero Second Season - 46,301

11. Macross Frontier - 46,297
12. Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch - 45,385
13. K-ON! - 43,878
14. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - 42,756
15. Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 - 42,690
16. Monogatari Series Second Season - 42,130
17. K-ON!! - 39,472
18. Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 - 39,353
19. Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works - 38,452
20. Hagane no Renkinjutsushi - 36,574

21. Sword Art Online - 36,132
22. Girls und Panzer - 36,127
23. Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 S2 - 34,601
24. Angel Beats! - 34,107
25. Infinite Stratos - 33,863
26. Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% - 33,775 
27. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai - 31,807
28. THE IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls + G4U Bundle - 31,389
29. Persona 4 - 31,283
30. Lucky Star - 30,074

HdE said:
AntAce said:
Is there still a large contingent of anime viewers that streams pirate copies - in 2015?

Sadlly, yeah, people are still evidently availing themselves of piracy.

I recently left a Facebook group after one of its members started proudly posting photos of his dodgy Malaysian bootlegs, justifying them on the grounds that he doesn't 'have hundreds of pounds to spend on cartoons'. Which led to a discussion of the merits of piracy.

Guess what? He went on to post pictures of hundreds of pounds worth of bootlegs.

This is the problem. There are clearly still people out there who don't care about quality, the fact that they're receiving anime on DVD-Rs or will put up with crappy packaging and product o long as they can get more of it. But the fact that mentioning Crunchyroll makes them go slack jawed and mumble 'aaaawww yyyyeah!' means there's hope, I suppose.

Until they start complaining that Crunchyroll doesn;t have enough shows for their liking, in spite of the fact that what's on there would still take them literally months if not years to watch.

Sense of entitlement + willful piracy has always been one of my biggest peeves.
How bizarre. The fact this person willingly parts with money for bootlegs - inferior to official releases, legal streams, and most likely illegal downloads - says it all really.

Bang on schedule, Mind Game, Genius Party, Genius Party Beyond and Princess Arete are now on Netflix. Run, don't walk, do not collect $200 when you pass Go etc. etc. you get the idea :mrgreen:

GolGotha said:
Did they not moan about free users having to sit through adverts? That tends to be their #1 argument against legal websites

That one does my crust in. Talk about first world problems!

AntAce said:
[
How bizarre. The fact this person willingly parts with money for bootlegs - inferior to official releases, legal streams, and most likely illegal downloads - says it all really.

Yeah. He was a brain donor. It may say more that my friendly advisory that the products he was posting images of may be counterfeit goods got met with a response of - and I quote - 'I don't give a **** if they're bootlegs.'

Sir, you WILL give a **** when the discs you've paid twenty quid for become unplayable for no apparent reason. Or when you get halfway through your series and discover that the disc is blighted with background hiss or no audio at all. (Note, these are actual problems that I've observed first hand on bootlegged discs.)

Why ANYBODY supports the totally opportunistic bootleg trade in an age of accessible online streaming is beyond me. You guys know me - I don't want streaming to be the norm for anime at all. But if it's a choice between that or bootlegging? Or piracy of ANY form? No contest.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Netflix Japan's anime list:

[spoilerbutton]
0wJvGtJ.jpg

I managed to identify most of what's on the image.

Titles available (from top left to bottom right):
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Psycho Pass 2
Bakemonogatari
The Garden of Words
Yowamushi Pedal
Samurai 7
Witchblade
Peeping Life: We are the Hero
Tokyo Ravens
Blood-C
Eagle Talon: The Movie 3
Yowamushi Pedal Re:Ride
Nasu: Summer in Andalusia
Anohana: The Flowers We Saw That Day
The Seven Deadly Sins
Eagle Talon: The Movie 4
Chaos Dragon
Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-
Wasimo
Eagle Talon: The Movie II
Mind Game
Paprika
Wake Up, Girls! - Seven Idols
Saki: Episode of Side A
Looking Up At The Half Moon
Patema Inverted
????
Fate/stay night
One Week Friends
Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road
????
Appleseed
????
????
The Place Promised In Our Early Days
Romeo x Juliet
Asylum Session
Peeping Life 5.0
Red Garden
Traveling Daru
Voices of a Distant Star
Knights of Sidonia
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Psycho Pass
Engaged to the Unidentified
Eagle Talon: The Movie
Appleseed: Ex Machina
Tiny Twin Bears
Peeping Life: The Perfect Edition
Peeping Life: The Perfect Extension
Peeping Life: The Perfect Explosion
5 Centimeters per Second
Wake Up, Girls!
Sailor Moon
????
Log Horizon
????
????
????
????
????
????
????
Fate/zero
Kill la Kill
Dinosaur King
Black Butler
Kakurenbo
????
Genius Party
Genius Party Beyond
Silver Spoon
Puella Magi Madoka Magica[/spoilerbutton]

NormanicGrav said:
Titles available (from top left to bottom right):
[spoilerbutton]Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Psycho Pass 2
Bakemonogatari
The Garden of Words
Yowamushi Pedal
Samurai 7
Witchblade
Peeping Life: We are the Hero
Tokyo Ravens
Blood-C
Eagle Talon: The Movie 3
Yowamushi Pedal Re:Ride
Nasu: Summer in Andalusia
Anohana: The Flowers We Saw That Day
The Seven Deadly Sins
Eagle Talon: The Movie 4
Chaos Dragon
Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-
Wasimo
Eagle Talon: The Movie II
Mind Game
Paprika
Wake Up, Girls! - Seven Idols
Saki: Episode of Side A
Looking Up At The Half Moon
Patema Inverted
Omakase! Miracle Cat-dan
Fate/stay night
One Week Friends
Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road
Eiga Hana Kappa Hana-sake! Pakkaan Chō no Kuni no Daibōken
Appleseed
Makasete Iruka/Grrl Power
Shimajirou to Kujira no Uta
The Place Promised In Our Early Days
Romeo x Juliet
Asylum Session
Peeping Life 5.0
Red Garden
Traveling Daru
Voices of a Distant Star
Knights of Sidonia
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Psycho Pass
Engaged to the Unidentified
Eagle Talon: The Movie
Appleseed: Ex Machina
Tiny Twin Bears
Peeping Life: The Perfect Edition
Peeping Life: The Perfect Extension
Peeping Life: The Perfect Explosion
5 Centimeters per Second
Wake Up, Girls!
Sailor Moon
Sugai-kun to Kazoku Ishi
Log Horizon
????
Fuusen Inu Tinny
????
????
Hanare Toride no Yonna/Yonna in the Solitary Fortress
Suitase no Wataridori/Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase
Negadon: The Monster from Mars
Fate/zero
Kill la Kill
Dinosaur King
Black Butler
Kakurenbo
Eikyuu Kazoku/Eternal Family
Genius Party
Genius Party Beyond
Silver Spoon
Puella Magi Madoka Magica[/spoilerbutton]

Filled in as many of the ???s as I could. The others are only half visible and I can't make them out.

Looked through MVM's page, noticed this comment about Love Live :

Fan: Any info on BD version?
MVM Entertainment: A BD version will be released next year, but just a standard edition.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/MVMEntertainme ... permPage=1

Is anyone here picking up the collectors DVD release? I'm intrigued to find out how close it is to the NISA set because if the BD is standard I may have to purchase both then swap the disks out..
(I know I could just import the NISA set but Love Live is a bit niche so I really want to support the title in the UK, as well as MVM's experiment with NISA over here)

Dannielle said:
Looked through MVM's page, noticed this comment about Love Live :

Fan: Any info on BD version?
MVM Entertainment: A BD version will be released next year, but just a standard edition.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/MVMEntertainme ... permPage=1

Is anyone here picking up the collectors DVD release? I'm intrigued to find out how close it is to the NISA set because if the BD is standard I may have to purchase both then swap the disks out..
(I know I could just import the NISA set but Love Live is a bit niche so I really want to support the title in the UK, as well as MVM's experiment with NISA over here)

It makes sense that it's only a standard edition because that's how NISA is handling the Season 1 re-release. I guess MVM might do a Collector's set for Season 2 eventually. Given The Pilot's Love Song took the DVD model approach (when it's predecessor The Princess and the Pilot was Book model), NISA will probably release Love Live! Season 2 with the DVD model and perhaps MVM might release that version instead of whatever Madman has to offer (MVM did it with The Eccentric Family so it's possible).

I already own the Season 1 Premium Edition (They said 'no plans for a reprint' a couple days before release so I panicked and now they've reprinted it about 3 times already) so I won't be getting the DVD release, but I know some people who might. Also, is it just me or is that white line on the DVD front cover actually going to be in the final product, sounds like an odd design error to me.

Back