The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

black1blade said:
Where is the best place to check if a Japanese anime blu ray has english subs?

The Fandom Post provided a spreadsheet for which Japanese/Korean/Hong Kong sets have English subtitles.

Here's the link. It's slightly outdated for the more recent sets though.

Examples include:
- Fate/Zero Set 1 & 2 BD-Box
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya
- Oreimo Season 1 BD-Box
- Persona 3 the Movies
- RahXephon
- Studio Ghibli films (every major work including Castle of Cagliostro)
- Terraformars

I was wondering because CD Japan has a lot that have subs but the descriptions says it doesn't. I probably not going to be buying any Japanese blu rays any time soon though... (Hoping to buy the HF films when they come out though)

Hey cheekies, I can't remember so please can you tell me when the following are due for UK release please?

The World God Only Knows Season 3
High School DxD Season 2
Freezing Vibrations (Season 2)
Black Butler Book of Circus

I imagine the latter will take a while since it doesn't even have a dub yet but apparently the other 3 do and I'm sure I've seen mention of their release this year???

I'm pretty sure Manga said they weren't interested in TWGOK season 3. The first 2 didn't sell very well IIRC.

Manga would be silly to not pick up the next series of High School DxD considering how well the first part sold for them - but given they've already announced stuff pretty much up to the end of Q2, I doubt we'll see it here until at least after summer.

-Danielle- said:
Hey cheekies, I can't remember so please can you tell me when the following are due for UK release please?

The World God Only Knows Season 3
High School DxD Season 2
Freezing Vibrations (Season 2)
Black Butler Book of Circus

I imagine the latter will take a while since it doesn't even have a dub yet but apparently the other 3 do and I'm sure I've seen mention of their release this year???

Afaik none of them have been announced.

As others have said I'd imagine they'll skip TWGOK but I'm sure they'll try to get DxD and Freezing based on them selling well. Not sure how Black Butler sells but I'd assume they'd go for it at some point unless the current release tanked.

They have picked up sequels to titles they said did horribly before, so TWGOK is still a possibility if it's cheap enough for them to release, I guess. Having to reissue it with a PAL conversion themselves might make it less worthwhile for them.

R

Rui said:
They have picked up sequels to titles they said did horribly before, so TWGOK is still a possibility if it's cheap enough for them to release, I guess. Having to reissue it with a PAL conversion themselves might make it less worthwhile for them.

R

When Manga got S1 & 2 of TWGOK, S3 wasn't even a twinkle in the creators' eyes. It could be the license was for just the first two seasons, in which case another company might pick it up, the Samurai Bride switched from Khazi to Manga (if it's ever released)

Just Passing Through said:
Rui said:

R

When Manga got S1 & 2 of TWGOK, S3 wasn't even a twinkle in the creators' eyes. It could be the license was for just the first two seasons, in which case another company might pick it up, the Samurai Bride switched from Khazi to Manga (if it's ever released)

Plus, to make season 3's release worthwhile, the OVA's would have to be picked up too. No point in having s3 without the Tenri OVA's.

If Manga aren't up for it, maybe MVM will bite. Considering the first two seasons are DVD only here, they could just have the OVA's & s3 as a DVD release, IMO I don't see much point in getting the latter out on BD when the first two seasons aren't (I maybe alone in thinking that though..)

Another case I recall is Ah My Goddess, MVM had the first season, Manga the second.

Anyone ordered of Rakuten Global? Ordered a figure of a store called Terraformer a couple of days ago and they have sent me a order confirmation email today but no link to pay through paypal, do I need to wait for another email to pay or should I contact them?

Is it me or does the creator of One Piece have something about characters with hats and also characters with odd laughs, this trend is something that's become more noticeable over time. Are the odd laughs in the Japanese original dubs & do the western dubs copy them, or are they something added in by a particular voice artist on the western dub as it mostly seems the same voice doing them?

One other question, picture quality wise which is the better choice the Manga or Funimation boxsets on blu ray of Fairy Tale?

If you want consistency in packaging, go with the US releases. Manga have abandoned Fairy Tail on BluRay.

st_owly said:
If you want consistency in packaging, go with the US releases. Manga have abandoned Fairy Tail on BluRay.

Thanks. I suppose it was more than likely they would have dropped the blu ray considering their recent run of form in this area.

robot monkey said:
Is it me or does the creator of One Piece have something about characters with hats and also characters with odd laughs, this trend is something that's become more noticeable over time. Are the odd laughs in the Japanese original dubs & do the western dubs copy them, or are they something added in by a particular voice artist on the western dub as it mostly seems the same voice doing them?
On the hats issue, I think it comes partially for the subject matter, as pirates and hats seem to go together.

With regards to the laughs it goes back to the Manga, in which each major villain plus some minor villains has their own unique laugh. Which was then adapted in the original dub, and then copied into the western dub. From listening to the some of the commentaries it is each characters voice artist doing the laugh for their character.

Anime laughs don't get any better than this:

Last edited by a moderator:

A couple of questions rolled into one, in a general and non-specific way.. Is there any further word on UK releases for "The World God Only Knows" Season 3 and that damnedly absent "Evangelion 3.33 You (cannot) Have It"?

No and no is the answer. I'm pretty sure Manga said they weren't interested in TWGOK season 3 as the first 2 didn't sell very well, and Eva, who knows??

There still hasn't been a peep from Funimation as far as I know re. the Eva release/the dub since their last update, so I very much doubt we'll be seeing it before 2016 at this point.

The worst case scenario is that discussions/activity between Funi and Khara broke down completely behind the scenes, meaning a dubbed version will never come out / the release will be delayed indefinitely. The trouble with Eva is that because it's such a well known property, it kind of becomes the thing that 'has' to be released with a dub - the distributor will hold and hold on it because they know the difference between a dubbed and subbed-only release would be thousands, if not tens of thousands of copies.

Back